[SB600] How to disable Wide-Area AF-assist illuminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

commonjunks

Jul 23, 2009
Jurong
Hi,

Recently i bought SB600 and i like it a lot (at-least for pictures taken at home).
I realized whenever i take picture i see my son closing his eyes like some light making him close his eyes (although i was bouncing flash from roof). Later i checked and found red light illuminating on front of lens. After checking manual i understood it called wide-area AF-assist illuminator, now i want to disable it but i didn't see any option in manual on how to disable/enable it.
Anyone knows how i can disable this illuminator?

see pg 53 and 54 of manual

Hi,

Recently i bought SB600 and i like it a lot (at-least for pictures taken at home).
I realized whenever i take picture i see my son closing his eyes like some light making him close his eyes (although i was bouncing flash from roof). Later i checked and found red light illuminating on front of lens. After checking manual i understood it called wide-area AF-assist illuminator, now i want to disable it but i didn't see any option in manual on how to disable/enable it.

can u see it just go to setting autofocus a3. and turn off that so.

a3 Built-in AF-assist-illuminator • On ¹ • Off

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD90/page12.asp

can u see it just go to setting autofocus a3. and turn off that so.

a3 Built-in AF-assist-illuminator • On ¹ • Off

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD90/page12.asp

Thanks rain5533 for your quick response.
Your mentioned setting only disable setting on Camera illuminator but not red illumunator on Flash. Anyway looking at manual and browsing around website i found there is a setting call AF-ILL which is enable by-default. By disabling this setting RED illumunator stop working (at least it will server my purpose) this option can be disable be pressing Zoom and - sign together for 2 seconds and then change AF-ILL to NO and then press mode again. There ya go.
Thank you again for your comment.

u might hv problem focusin in low-light situation....jus my opinion...

Hi,

I doubt that it is the AF-assist illuminator that is making him close his eyes. It is more likely due to the flash itself, and more specifically the pre-flashes used for i-TTL metering. You can try using FV lock (on the camera) or manual flash (on the flash).

u might hv problem focusin in low-light situation....jus my opinion...

I doubt that it is the AF-assist illuminator that is making him close his eyes. It is more likely due to the flash itself, and more specifically the pre-flashes used for i-TTL metering. You can try using FV lock (on the camera) or manual flash (on the flash).

@ijnek so far there is no problem in quality. I took a few picture at night and result was good.
@reflecx, I am not sure if u have SB600 but if you try to press camera button half way and look into red light then you will know what i mean (it almost blinded me for a few seconds). For flash i am bouncing from roof.

@ijnek so far there is no problem in quality. I took a few picture at night and result was good.
@reflecx, I am not sure if u have SB600 but if you try to press camera button half way and look into red light then you will know what i mean (it almost blinded me for a few seconds). For flash i am bouncing from roof.

Some people are sensitive to a sudden burst of light whether it's direct or not and will blink. I thought it might be the preflash too but I guess you should know better because you're there to observe. I agree that the red light from the AF illuminator on the flash can be quite bright if someone looks directly into it.

the SB600's AF assist lamp is WAYYYY less irritating than the one on the camera body.

i used to hv a sb600 and now sb900...
both hv this red light, it's for auto-focus purpose...

anyway, make sure u dun hv red-eye reduction on, cos the pre-flash might jus make ur kid shut his/her eyes too

another trick is to enable burst mode so that you snap when your kid reopens his eyes

another trick is to enable burst mode so that you snap when your kid reopens his eyes
Thanks but i don't want him to be feel uncomfortable while i am taking his snaps :nono:.
So far good since this morning i took a few pictures and he didn't close his eyes (can see his happiness below).
Although i am using SB600 built-in Diffuser but i am thinking to buy external Diffuser.
3982773947_8ff6663689_b.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.