Sad sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoangHung

Nov 27, 2008
Clementi
www.flickr.com
3884593446_315932abd2_b.jpg

Taken with my Canon 400D + 50 1.8 @ 1/125 + f5.0. Post edit : curve + sharpness + white balance + contrast + brightness

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to have comments about composition, color and post editing. I'm not really sure whether the way I took and edited my picture is good enough.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show the sadness of people that affected civilization and industrialization. As we know, industrialization makes Singapore less and less nice beach and see without any big ships + industrial areas. In my opinion, a beach should at least give me a great horizontal of water and salt without being blocked by anything.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this picture during a wedding photo trip to Punggol Beach. The background of industrial area really irritated me. I snapped this shoot without being approved from those 2 girls. That was a very cloudy day ( we prepared for sunset, but couldn't make it due to weather ).
4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I think I over contrast a bit, but I think it suppose to be good to tell the sadness of picture. I think if i get permission from those 2 girls, I think I could make the picture more emotional.

Last edited:
Agreed with u that industrialization makes Singapore less and less nice beach . But feel that ur picture did not convey the intended message. The girl facing the camera seem like enjoying herself with a smile on her face. Exposure wise, bringing up the exposure to show more of her expression with help to improve the photograph though the expression does not go inline with the title. :)

3884593446_315932abd2_b.jpg

Taken with my Canon 400D + 50 1.8 @ 1/125 + f5.0. Post edit : curve + sharpness + white balance + contrast + brightness

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to have comments about composition, color and post editing. I'm not really sure whether the way I took and edited my picture is good enough.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show the sadness of people that affected civilization and industrialization. As we know, industrialization makes Singapore less and less nice beach and see without any big ships + industrial areas. In my opinion, a beach should at least give me a great horizontal of water and salt without being blocked by anything.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this picture during a wedding photo trip to Punggol Beach. The background of industrial area really irritated me. I snapped this shoot without being approved from those 2 girls. That was a very cloudy day ( we prepared for sunset, but couldn't make it due to weather ).
4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I think I over contrast a bit, but I think it suppose to be good to tell the sadness of picture. I think if i get permission from those 2 girls, I think I could make the picture more emotional.

Not an expert but from what I see, nothing special about the pic and it does not tell anything? To me just 2 girls at the beach and thats about it.

Colors? Dull and underexposed. Just like a snap shot rather then anything.

Thanks.
I also don't like her expression , that's why I purposely make her face dark. Maybe not enough.
As I stated, it is just a snap shot. Hopefully, I can do it better next time ...

You can do better by leaving the girls out alltogether as it has nothing to do with the sea. But then again, I don't see pollution or moody surrounding or anything that indicates a sad sea... Don't see how the gals can enhance the feeling as well, unless they're mermaids perched atop of a rock.

hi just from an amateur point of view, the picture does not convey any sadness at all.

This does not work at all both photograph and the concept behind it.

When you put forth an emotive element like sadness, the viewers should directly tap on that emotion once looking at the photo or at least the photo evokes some kinda sadness for them to grasp. In this case, none of those are present.

I would categorize this as a snapshot , nothing more.

"I think if i get permission from those 2 girls, I think I could make the picture more emotional."

How do you intend to make them enhance the "sadness' of the piece? Cry?

Maybe focusing on the sea itself without human participation would be wiser. Don't give up :)

i dont feel anything that evokes the sad emotion.

if anything, those girls in the corner doesn't seem to serve any purpose. feels like a sudden snapshot? also i cant find the focal point of the picture. what is supposed to draw my attention? the girls? the rocks? the crane? the refinery? the sky? the ships? feels like a mismash of objects.

if anything the girls seem to exude boredom, like why are we here looking at rocks.

to be honest, i don't think they really care. because they don't , and it shows in the picture.

you are giving this a way too "forced" interpretation.

for the picture itself, too many rocks spoil the broth, it is generally messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.