S5pro or D2x?

S5pro or D2x (and why?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amospi

May 5, 2005
What's your choice? :thumbsup:And why?:thumbsup:
Currently using D200, mainly for hobby use and sometime doing wedding. I shoot everything and anything?:thumbsup:

I own Nikon D2X and D2Xs. Base from my experience, it's better for you to buy the new Nikon D300 or D3...
they Dynamic range on D300/D3 is killer!! and please remember D300 is NOT a replacement of D200. It's a whole new system, in which A LOT better in every aspects!

Andree

As a first body I'd pick the D2X because I prefer the pro body. Right now I have a D2H, so I'd take a D300 for the low light abilities. For landscape, resolution critical prints and low light shots I'd use the D300, and for everything else the D2H (smaller RAW files)

EDIT: Oops, digitalxd1 made me forget that this was between the S5 and D2x :D

I'd never buy an S5 simply because I'm not a portrait person. Skin tones is IMO the only reason to deal with the funny Fuji interface and slow performance. And digitalxd1, IIRC the S5 still has higher dynamic range at lower ISOs (up to 800 or something like that) than the D300. But of course due to it's high ISO abilities, the D300 beats it in dynamic range at 1600 or 3200

What's your choice? :thumbsup:And why?:thumbsup:
Currently using D200, mainly for hobby use and sometime doing wedding. I shoot everything and anything?:thumbsup:

I'd go with the D300 also.

Plus, with Nikon D300, the resolution on the LCD is AMAZING...!!!
I dont have any problem in Reviewing the image on the LCD anymore... within a second i can find out, whetder the pic is FOCUS or OUT OF FOCUS :)

if u ask me,
I would get S5pro anytime of the day.
Provided u can live with the speed.

Not only colour, but DR, noise characteristic, and ability to recover amazing highlights are the strength of S5pro.
In many respect D300 and D3 is a leap ahead of the D200/D2x but they still cannot touch the DR and highlight recover ability.
I lost the link but a person who owns both D300 and S5pro puts out the raw and tried pulling -2 and u could see due to the implementation of the curve the D300 lost all the data while S5 managed to salvage all the sky without abrupt white.

Then again, not many people appreciate this aspect of the image and most are just concerned with high iso noise(which IMO is never really a problem for digital compared to film) and speed all that, very technical. S5 is never meant to compete in mainstream market in the first place, anyway so it's kinda wrong to compare the technicalities. It's for those who want to shoot digital 'film'

The wide dynamic range of the S5pro gives it a very smooth tonality that is unmatched among all existing DSLRs, whatever the price. S5 images therefore are much less prone to clipped highlights.

I don't know about the D2x, but the D200 has a very narrow highlight range. If you take a look at the DR chart in dpreview, the highlight portion for the D200 ends very abruptly. What this means in practise is that the camera loses details in the highlights too quickly -- resulting in ugly white patches. The S5 has a much more gentle roll-off in the highlights region, giving images a smoother, film-like look.

In the area of low light capability, i think the S5 wins over the D2x.

The primary weakness of the S5 is resolution -- the camera is not for pixel peepers.

S5 Pro since I only shoot JPEG now.
Higher speed provided by my other Nikon...

Discuss and compare less. Shoot more pictures!

Keep in mind that the D2x is built with a pro body. Of course, most people would opt for a pro body.... I would too. BUT the S5 Pro is a different class altogether. It is like comparing mangosteen with durian.

For all I care, Nikon still couldn't get their colors to look right even with their current 'top-of-the-line' D3.

Here is a link comparing S5 Pro vs D300
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1020&message=26152998

And here is one comparing S5 Pro with D2X
http://www.thinkcamera.com/news/article/mps/UAN/366/v/1/sp/

If you care about image quality, there is NO MATCH for the Fuji S5 Pro ;-)
really that power?

then i think its time for everyone to ditch whatever they are using for a fuji.. all the millions of professional photographers around the world.. wedding photogs etc.. they made the wrong decision then??

really that power?

then i think its time for everyone to ditch whatever they are using for a fuji.. all the millions of professional photographers around the world.. wedding photogs etc.. they made the wrong decision then??

I already ditched my Nikon DSLR years ago - in April 2005 to be exact.

From what I know, there are more portraits and wedding photographers in the United States using Fuji DSLRs than Nikon. Commercial photographer like Chicago-based Will Crockett uses the S2 Pro and S3 Pro. How I know? I was Will's assistant from 2001 till 2004.

Of course, you have got wedding photographers like Dennis Reggie and Gary Fong who use Canon exclusively (they are sponsored beta-testers for Canon USA).

really that power?

ya i think they did :bsmilie:

s5 pro rocks! :lovegrin:

ya i think they did :bsmilie:

s5 pro rocks! :lovegrin:

Fuji doesn't call their S5 Pro "a revolutionary DSLR camera in a class of its own" for nothing.

BUT.... IMHO, S2 Pro rocks harder! I still missed my S2 Pro. Okay..... Let's not go OT.

really that power?

Fuji's sensor technology in their SuperCCD SR alignment was way ahead of everyone else when they were released many years ago(sans megapixels and high iso noise which was still Canon's strength). That's why they dared to price it so high.. to the extent that S3pro sale was not as good as S2(which was considered the dark horse among the mid range dslrs at that time).

It can be seen in how the similar or even arguably same sensor that is being used in S3 implanted in the latest S5pro and it still gives amazing result with some algorithm/processing tweak, that enables iso 3200 and smoother/less artifacts etc.

Nikon makes amazing body (of course) but the heart is at the sensor, which unfortunately IMO Sony still gives that very 'digital' look.
In fact the only thing Fuji lack is the muscle and $$ in sensor R&D compared to Canon and Sony.
Otherwise I am confident it can make the best digital sensor, emulating its success on the negatives/positives films

Status
Not open for further replies.