S1/S2/S3/S5/SX1/SX10 pictures thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wha!
So much many posts in 3 days fwaaah!
Went to genting XD.
Didn't take many pictures there though XD.
Here's some i took along the way

cutecat.jpg

surreal.jpg

meemofield.jpg

myeye.jpg

UOB Plaza, taken with my S5 . . . :)

The tip . . .
Ps081213IMG_3151.jpg

The building . . .
Ps081213IMG_3152.jpg

Not sure is this the first pic posted for SX1? Just taken few days ago in Japan...

IMG_0179.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's my first contribution for this new thread. Taken with my S5 at Alishan Taiwan in April on a wet morning.

3121149935_1147a2b175_b.jpg

I am going to Taiwan again on Christmas eve and hope to share more photos when I return.

Hello there, just bought a Canon PowerShot SX1 IS on 10th Dec. I'm actually very new in this photography hobby and am desperate to learn more, hope you guys can help me out. Currently having trouble taking pics of the moon, all of em turn out to be just blurry white spots.

Hello there, just bought a Canon PowerShot SX1 IS on 10th Dec. I'm actually very new in this photography hobby and am desperate to learn more, hope you guys can help me out. Currently having trouble taking pics of the moon, all of em turn out to be just blurry white spots.

That makes the 2 of us...Cerebus gave me some advice (see page 1) and I hope to try out next time I see the moon!

That makes the 2 of us...Cerebus gave me some advice (see page 1) and I hope to try out next time I see the moon!

Aright then, will have to wait for the moon then. When'd u get ur SX1 IS? I'm havin trouble understanding the user manual. As for pictures, some turn out well, some grainy. I've still got a very very long way to go in understanding and perfecting the shutter/aperture/ISO ratio.

Help, just bought the Raynox macro lens , however I set it up and theres this.

3121983642_c221dcfbc6.jpg

im terribly sad. any users with raynox to assist me please?

i have that too on my tele lens. i had to zoom in to get rid of the vignetting. not sure if it's the same for macro lens :sweat:

Aright then, will have to wait for the moon then. When'd u get ur SX1 IS? I'm havin trouble understanding the user manual. As for pictures, some turn out well, some grainy. I've still got a very very long way to go in understanding and perfecting the shutter/aperture/ISO ratio.

for me, the best way to learn is to experiment. i didn't even read my s5 manual when i bought it. i just jumped into taking photos, and reading online photography tutorials. (http://digital-photography-school.com/)

a general rule to get fine pictures is to keep your iso low at all times unless completely necessary for the situation i.e low light situations or if you're going for a grain b&w picture.

the way i remember aperture is this way. small aperture (where f/stop numbers are larger) gives a small depth of field (dof) whereas a large aperture (where f/stop numbers are smaller) gives a larger depth of field.

as for shutter? haha no idea. since i tend to stick to aperture mode mostly... i'm more comfortable in that mode than i am in shutter or manual. still trying to get the hang of manual mode :(

off topic: does anyone have a livejournal account and looking for a new friend? :p

Last edited:

the way i remember aperture is this way. small aperture (where f/stop numbers are larger) gives a small depth of field (dof) whereas a large aperture (where f/stop numbers are smaller) gives a larger depth of field.

I think you've got it reversed. Smaller aperture number (e.g. f2.7) will give narrower DOF, only small portion around the focusing point will be in focus, which is preferred if you want the background to be less distracting, such as portrait shot. On the other hand, larger number (e.g. f8) will give broader DOF, more areas will be in focus, which is preferred if you want more parts of the picture to be in focus, such as, landscape.

At times, you may not have choice but to set the aperture to larger opening (smaller F number), e.g., in dim light condition. Or the other way if lights are very bright.

Aperture and shutter speed settings go hand-in-hand, just like the sea-saw. Under the same lighting condition, smaller aperture opening (larger F number) will lead to slower shutter speed, and vice versa.

Last edited:
I think you've got it reversed. Smaller aperture number (e.g. f2.7) will give narrower DOF, only small portion around the focusing point will be in focus, which is preferred if you want the background to be less distracting, such as portrait shot. On the other hand, larger number (e.g. f8) will give broader DOF, more areas will be in focus, which is preferred if you want more parts of the picture to be in focus, such as, landscape.

At times, you may not have choice but to set the aperture to larger opening (smaller F number), e.g., in dim light condition. Or the other way if lights are very bright.

Aperture and shutter speed settings go hand-in-hand, just like the sea-saw. Under the same lighting condition, smaller aperture opening (larger F number) will lead to slower shutter speed, and vice versa.

didn't i mean that? ok, now i'm confused. haha.

"large apertures (where lots of light gets through) are given f/stop smaller numbers and smaller apertures (where less light gets through) have larger f-stop numbers. So f/2.8 is in fact a much larger aperture than f/22."

got that from dps.

btw, i love the zoo set in your flickr! :D

off topic: does anyone have a livejournal account and looking for a new friend? :p

http://poshpixel.livejournal.com

its more of a graphics journal but just add :D

i have that too on my tele lens. i had to zoom in to get rid of the vignetting. not sure if it's the same for macro lens :sweat:
i think its normal.argh but im getting a hang of it i guess.

Two photos spontaneously taken yesterday.
3119869487_8d23c8177d.jpg

3119869645_aa18f454dc.jpg

Help, just bought the Raynox macro lens , however I set it up and theres this.

3121983642_c221dcfbc6.jpg

im terribly sad. any users with raynox to assist me please?

That is normal with the DCR-250 I have.

Here is what I normally do. Set focus to infinity. Zoom out until you do not get any vignetting. Then you focus by moving the whole camera towards/away from the subject.

That is normal with the DCR-250 I have.

Here is what I normally do. Set focus to infinity. Zoom out until you do not get any vignetting. Then you focus by moving the whole camera towards/away from the subject.

*nods*
But i don't set the focus aha. Let the camera auto set XD.

Lots of informative photography tutorials online. You could start by learning one at a time if you feel lost.

I believe bridge cameras have Aperture and Shutter Priority Mode. Spend some time on each and try different settings to find out what will result. This way, you can learn what slow/fast shutter speed does; what bigger/smaller apertures do; to the result of your photo.

I believe ISO is much more simple to comprehend then the above 2 if you are a beginner.

Good luck!

Btw, I was wondering how much is the SX1 going for? Not well-versed with prices of non dSLR cameras. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Here are some photos taken with S5 at the Asaka Yang (杨宗伟)Concert on Sunday. Handheld with no flash and was playing around with the white balance. More can be seen at Ready, Lights & Action forum.

3126455593_9b4999cfa4.jpg

3127398526_059df81f51.jpg

3127396256_9755ca2f74.jpg

3127358574_001f702781.jpg

Last edited:

Love the Macro!

(Looks like an ant mimic spider), try to get the focus on the eyes. I know, it is not easy, you end up taking a large number of shots.

I like the empty space on the right.

Can you clone away the stuff on the top left?

Do you seriously want to waste money on a dSLR? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.