Rule of 2/3...is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got rule better than no rule....at least there is a direction on every composition :sweat:

But I agree with a few gurus here...rules are mean to be broken....if every single shot also got rule then the outcome is predictable liao :lovegrin:

whkoh said:
There aren't any rules. Rule of Thirds is just a principle that can make your photos more interesting. There's no need to adhere to it completely, strictly, or at all.

That's a good advice. There are really no rules, but it would be good for someone to start off following these principles, then slowly break away from it, IF it enhances the picture further, or conveys the message more effectively.

-MB

xl1 said:
IMHO....

Rule number 1:
BREAK THE RULE! The bottom line is: There are no rules. If an image works, it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Rule number 2:
STOP TALKING AND START TAKING

..Which reminds me of a story..

Ken Duncan was once having a photo exhibition of his beautiful panorama shots in Australia, and a lady walked up next to him, not knowing who he was, and said to him while looking at a print on the wall.

On the wall, was a print of a aerial shot of the ocean and islands, and in the photograph, the horizon was placed in the middle of the print. No rule of third applied here.

So she said, "the horizon should have been placed one-third upper or lower. It shouldn't be in the middle".

Ken looked at her, then at the print and said, "Yeah.. you're right. It should be. But the picture looks great don't you think?"

"Well of course. But that's the strange part. It looks great, but where's the rule of third?" she replied.

"I don't know, but it still looks great anyway".

-MB

mulberrybay said:
..Which reminds me of a story..

Ken Duncan was once having a photo exhibition of his beautiful panorama shots in Australia, and a lady walked up next to him, not knowing who he was, and said to him while looking at a print on the wall.

On the wall, was a print of a aerial shot of the ocean and islands, and in the photograph, the horizon was placed in the middle of the print. No rule of third applied here.

So she said, "the horizon should have been placed one-third upper or lower. It shouldn't be in the middle".

Ken looked at her, then at the print and said, "Yeah.. you're right. It should be. But the picture looks great don't you think?"

"Well of course. But that's the strange part. It looks great, but where's the rule of third?" she replied.

"I don't know, but it still looks great anyway".

-MB

yep, it is true, base on the that can you see how great his picture? its amazing me...... i have a CD movieclip with his slide show, i can't say anything when i look at his picture and i left the clip keep looping for few times, and it still amazing me...

xl1 said:
yep, it is true, base on the that can you see how great his picture? its amazing me...... i have a CD movieclip with his slide show, i can't say anything when i look at his picture and i left the clip keep looping for few times, and it still amazing me...

...go buy a linhof technorama IIIs ... only 10k plus.... goooooooo.... :bsmilie:

-MB

the rule of third is very mathemactical and scienticfic.

"Since the early Greeks, a ratio of length to width of approximately 1.618, has been considered the most visually appealing. This ratio, called the golden ratio, not only appears in art and architecture, but also in natural structures."

do a search on the magic ratio or golden ratio on the net. Rule of third dwells on this golden ratio. Not everything must be in thirds, as long as objects occur in proportions of thirds (1.6x larger or smaller) than the adjacent object/line/shape will give you aesthectically pleasing results. For experienced shooters or artistically inclined, this ratio is some how built-in to them. For others like me, I'm glad they had grid lines on my viewfinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.