Round the World Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftdragon

May 30, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone been on a RTW trip before?
Where do you usually get your airtickets from? Any agents in Singapore that are good at planning such trips?

Too bad we dont have RTW tickets for USD 4000+, like in America or Canada. Met alot of these backpackers planning to travel for a year.

Never been on one before but have seen brochures advertising RTW trips at STA Travel (the supposed student travel agency)....

I called STA for a quote and now I am waiting for them to revert.

Agreed that in Singapore, we don't get those good fares for the RTW trips. There ain't that much resources dedicated to RTW trips here too. Even trying to find a good travel insurance is a hassle as they don't cover muti destinations over a long period.

Hope to tie up all these loose ends fast so that I can make my trip a reality

I've a photography related question.

Backgorund: I will be travelling thru Western Europe to Central America and to North America.

Do you think it is better to bring a Laptop or just bring a storage device for my photos?
Should I bring a camera backpack (Rover AW II) or just place my DSLR in my normal backpack? (I am actually quite paranoid abt getting mugged)

The question that you want to ask is how much do you want to carry?

The other question is whether you know where you would be visiting, are the power sources?

As for tickets, I guess one of the ways that you could look at is to purchase them online.

swiftdragon said:

Backgorund: I will be travelling thru Western Europe to Central America and to North America.

Do you think it is better to bring a Laptop or just bring a storage device for my photos?
Should I bring a camera backpack (Rover AW II) or just place my DSLR in my normal backpack? (I am actually quite paranoid abt getting mugged)
my suggestion.

Except for ur basic toiletries, towel, undies, laptop, camera and 1 spare set of clothes. Bring an empty luggage.

U can buy clothes like what the locals do as u go along.

The last thing u'd want is to start ur trip on a heavy bag and killing ur mood straightaway with a 20kg backpack when u start and end up with a 50kg backpack when u end. The last thing u'll need would be to kill urself.

Start light, end heavy. My suggestion.

If u're worried of getting mugged, stay alert and bring just 1 superzoom.
If u're constantly worrying abt getting mugged and afraid that even staying alert and utilising common sense and tacticality would not get u past muggers, den don't go at all.
There's always an element of risk in everything.

Look forward to ur photos soon! :)

Cool! Sounds exciting :)

I would suggest a laptop for you since its such a long trip (I guess its 6 months and above? otherwise, travel insurance should cover). The laptop can be useful in researching, booking of airtix/accomm, passing time etc in certain places. For shorter trips like 3-4 months, portable storage should suffice.

As for backpack, bring whats comfortable & reliable. Cos it'll be on you for the entire trip (hopefully)! If you're targetted to be mugged, it doesn't matter if its camera backpack or not. They're a more sophisticated bunch than you think!

Yes, pls share photos when you're back. And pls share your experiences on my travel forum too! You can look for resources there too!
http://www.wookup.com/travelnet/

swiftdragon said:

Status
Not open for further replies.