Rome/Florence/Venice

Hello Dapier - tks for the input, i heard too much scary stories...so i ended up very protective and alert all the time...never too sorry to be careful...

Hello Dankwan - saw yr diary - very interesting shots, the images reminded me a lot of the trip, tks for sharing.

ciao
jefwong
http://lookingeyes.clubsnap.org/gallery/Rome

beautiful shots :thumbsup:

Colosseum/Forum - To avoid the 1hr Q at the Colosseum, u may want to visit Forum first and purchase the entrance tix there which includes Colosseum. If for any reason, u visit Colosseum first, keep the tix and use it to enter Forum on the same day.

Vactican City - this city is hell of crowded on weekends, highly recommended to get yr tix online too. With the vouchers, u can proceed directly to the entrance - DO NOT join the regular Q (upto 1km long during weekends and peak period).
o

Hi, just wanted to add that the ticket for Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill lasts for 2 days. So you dont have to complete both sites in a day. (But you can only enter each site once) The Temple of Venus and Roma is also now open to public (since Nov 2010) Its located between the Forum and Colosseum (directly opposite Colosseum) so thats another vantage point.

A guide to Vatican City and Museum is highly recommended. Else you might want to do thorough reading before visiting. However, I doubt one can absorb everything in just a one day visit, there is just so much to see.

There is a elevator at the Spanish Steps. Its located next to the metro entrance nearest to the Spanish Steps.

For those interested in touristy hop on and off bus, DO NOT take the 110 Open/Archeobus. It seems to be highly recommended but its truely crappy. I was in Rome in Nov 2010 and got the 110 Open/Archeobus ticket. We had trouble finding out where the stops were, and apparently 3-4 stops were removed from the route (upon the mayor's orders, according to the bus guide) To make matters worse, although the stops were removed, the bus would still travel to these stops and not stop. So we could see tourists literally flagging, running after the bus, all the while wondering why the bus wouldnt stop at all.

Personally I found Rome rather walkable. I walked from the Spanish Steps- Castel Angelo- Vatican City a couple of times. Else stick to the bus or metro if need be.

Hope this helps.

Hello Lotus Fairy - Tks for the compliment. I witnessed a peaceful demonstration too. Seems that demo is quite common in Europe...hahaha

Hello Rainfyre - i agreed, the metro is good enug to travel around.

Hello Dapier - there are many ways to create those frame in photoshop and I've my own simple favourite:

1. make a duplicate of the image
2. create a "stroke" - 5px black border around the duplicate image
3. create a Canvas - go to Image; select Canvas Size; select Percentage - keyin 110% for Width and 110%; for Height, select OK;
(you may stop here if you just need a balanced all round frame);
(for polariod frame - thichker bottom, continue with Step-4)
4. repeat Step-3 but leave 100% for Width and keyin 110% for Height;
(important step)click on the top middle arrow in Anchor's selection.
Done.

Hope this is healful...

ciao
lookingeyes

HI,

Not sure if it is too late for the thread starter...I was there one week before Christmas. Beautiful place to visit.

Colosseum/Forum - To avoid the 1hr Q at the Colosseum, u may want to visit Forum first and purchase the entrance tix there which includes Colosseum. If for any reason, u visit Colosseum first, keep the tix and use it to enter Forum on the same day.
Vactican City - this city is hell of crowded on weekends, highly recommended to get yr tix online too. With the vouchers, u can proceed directly to the entrance - DO NOT join the regular Q (upto 1km long during weekends and peak period).Go on a weekday and early. Take the metro to nearby and take a brisk walk there. You can still make it to join the queue. Not long.

You forgot to mention the famous fountain. Through my personal experience, go as early as possible otherwise you will end up taking the photos of other tourist instead. Ideally is 6plus during this period.

Rome- Generally, you can walk around and I find it pretty safe. As the general rule, stay out of dark alleys and places that is too quiet. Stay away from people trying to eb your friend. Keep your wallets well, in hotel safe...etc. It is sufficient to carry one extra lens (in your pouch) plus tripod and walk around. I walked around with my jacket (85mm in the pocket), kept most of my money and passport back in the hotel safe.

As for food - Romani Termini (Rome Railway station) on either sides along the main road, there are various turkish and indian outlet selling pizzas (vegetarian like potatos, mushrooms..etc by muslims too) and kerbabs. They costs generally no more than 8 Euros including a nice pot of tea. Macdonalds will generally costs more.

If you are in Venice, they generally do not have a very good map and the one available at the tourist information in the airport sells the map for EURO 2, there would be limited choice of food if you require meat and hala. But in general, they've got loads of food and there is two eatery near the railway station (300m away to the left when you exit the station after the first bridge to your right) there are 2 pizzas. One of them has got really nice and cheap vegetarian pizza.

Venice- I find it even safer than in Rome. But try to make sure you've got a proper map as the place is also a maze once you pay too much attention to enjoying the surroundingd that you forgot your orientation; especially in the evenings.

Hope these helps

Last edited:
in Rome, mineral water and coca cola is very expensive (especially at tourist spots euro3.50 for a bottle of coca cola)... bring a water tumbler and refill water at the fountains.. fresh and erhem..free :p

in Rome, mineral water and coca cola is very expensive (especially at tourist spots euro3.50 for a bottle of coca cola)... bring a water tumbler and refill water at the fountains.. fresh and erhem..free :p

Not exactly true. You should buy at the supermarkets, may cost as low as 0.20 to 0.40 Euros per ltr for mineral water, or u can buy a gallon. For cola, there are other brands which are cheaper.

Things are relatively cheap in Europe, if compared to Singapore, if you stay longer and know where to find. Only the taxes are higher. But then again, cars and properties are cheaper

Last edited:
Not exactly true. You should buy at the supermarkets, may cost as low as 0.20 to 0.40 Euros per ltr for mineral water, or u can buy a gallon. For cola, there are other brands which are cheaper.

Things are relatively cheap in Europe, if compared to Singapore, if you stay longer and know where to find. Only the taxes are higher. But then again, cars and properties are cheaper

yip, i found euro0.30 per litre, but it's at the outskirt...
the touristy areas are expensive...therefore the tumbler is important.. ;p (for my case)

Hi all, Venice is a "small island" with complex alleys but walking is best so you can discover this fascinating legend. Hotels are expensive in a way but so are the Gondolas but what the heck, u only live once. Security is very good here since it's an 80% tourist zone but be careful of peak Summer season when it's crowded & sold out rooms! I took a train there from Bologna & take the river taxis which is rather cheap, just few euro per trip & they ply along the canals but if you feel a little rich, you can also hire the lovely speedboats with handsome captains ;)

Florence is another must see. Several important museums here & go to the hill top to watch the scenery. You can join the local guided tours.

Rome, very messy, like all big cities. I didn't like it but also lots to look out for.

Yes, try to buy your snacks & drinks from supermarkets. Public toilets are virtually non-existant (throughout most old cities in EU) unless you have an expresso @ the cafes.

Hello All - Tks for the input...

There are some supermarkets, the biggest one is at Railway Terminal. I would recommend the Tiramisu there too, cheap and good.

Fontain water - hmmmm...dont quite recommend it, cos I saw someone washing their feet there...lol :D

I would certainly recommend a 1 Day Tour for Tuscany if you are not driving. U may check out this site, for 95.88USD u can explore Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa, lunch and wine tasting all in 1 day.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Tuscany-in-One-Day-Sightseeing-Tour/d519-5070TUSCANY

ciao
lookingeyes

i'm planning a trip to italy this year!! very insightful and helpful reads!! how many days for rome/florence/venice do you guys reckon? btw, if there's anyone who's also planning to go together this year, please feel free to drop me a message! i'm looking at periods from 21st may to 1st june or during october!

i'm planning a trip to italy this year!! very insightful and helpful reads!! how many days for rome/florence/venice do you guys reckon? btw, if there's anyone who's also planning to go together this year, please feel free to drop me a message! i'm looking at periods from 21st may to 1st june or during october!

Hi, I spent 6 days in Rome and yet cannot finish all the churches. I will spend at least 2 more weeks the next time. And during these 6 days, I went very very fast

Venice, I spent only 2 days, also not enough. Florence also only 2 days, without visiting the museums.

I intend to spend 1 week in each city, used to do that.

yip, i found euro0.30 per litre, but it's at the outskirt...
the touristy areas are expensive...therefore the tumbler is important.. ;p (for my case)

Tourist areas still have $0.30 per ltr for water. Try the supermarkets. So far, I have found in most European countries. But most of the time, because I stay quite a while in each city, I buy at least a gallon and put in the hotel.

Hello All - Tks for the input...

There are some supermarkets, the biggest one is at Railway Terminal. I would recommend the Tiramisu there too, cheap and good.

Fontain water - hmmmm...dont quite recommend it, cos I saw someone washing their feet there...lol :D

I would certainly recommend a 1 Day Tour for Tuscany if you are not driving. U may check out this site, for 95.88USD u can explore Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa, lunch and wine tasting all in 1 day.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Tuscany-in-One-Day-Sightseeing-Tour/d519-5070TUSCANY

U can take a bus from (I remember) Florence to San Gimignano and Siena, both quite near. Pisa, I think I took a train. No need to waste money on tours

Good to use 70-200mm in those towns except for the patio in Siena

Just to add another tip on the Gondola ride in Venice.

We kept our ears open and listen in to the comments/complaints made by other tourists before we pick ours. Many of them were bargaining around 100Euros and some complained that the ride was too short….

Finally, we decided to the tourist thingy…pick a handsome looking boatman (don’t know what they are called…haha), though that it would be good to include him in our picture…..
We also did the Singapore bargain and finally got it to 90Euros…

After we board the gondola, the actual boatman that came abroad was fat and ur…..
Then we realized…it’s the same salesman thingy here…the handsome guy only do the sales…hahaha :bsmilie:

Anyway, the ride lasted only about 10-15mins…nothing sort of romantic but it was enchanting to cruise into the narrow lanes of the waterways…you explore and see the city from a different angle…:bigeyes: personally I felt it’s worth it …Gondola is an icon in Venice, it’s never complete without it… :thumbsup:
just like Rome and Colosseum….and our Merlion in Singapore…

Just be a tourist ….go for it….

Our gondola just going through the Rialto Bridge:

http://lookingeyes.clubsnap.org/gallery/Rome/Veni_101028_211_gondola_Jw_w

We have to Q to move out of the lane:

http://lookingeyes.clubsnap.org/gallery/Rome/Veni_101029_113_gondola_Jw_w

ciao

Hi LooKing Eyes,

Need your expertise advise if I want to travel light. Will 35/50 mm + 5D2 good to go. Will be gg Milan.Venice.France nx month.
Thank you

I think 35/50mm is not enough. I used to carry only 24-70mm but regret it. I realised in later trips that I get very nice n better shots with 70-200mm. Now I carry 2 bodies, 1 for 24-70mm and the other for 70-200mm. Heavy but no regrets

Hi LooKing Eyes,

Need your expertise advise if I want to travel light. Will 35/50 mm + 5D2 good to go. Will be gg Milan.Venice.France nx month.
Thank you

Hello babycherie

I like traveling light too...it's a holiday not an overseas assignment..i just want to capture my experience and share them with my frens.

I carried a 24-105L and a Sigma 12-24 with 5D and 7D(my wife use it with a 17-85). Most of the shots were done with 24-105 except for those interior and landscape shots. All nite scenes were taken with high ISO without tripod too (too heavy and clumsy to carry around la).

I agree with Dapier, 35 is not wide enug for most of the interior shots. But I trust you will find a work around the lens...it depends on what you want to showcase.

you can check out my Paris shots here: http://lookingeyes.clubsnap.org/gallery/Paris-2008

Enjoy yr trip..

ciao