Rocks at Bang Saen Beach, Chon Buri, Thailand

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback on the composition, colour and post-processing on the images posted. Would like feedback on how the viewer feels about the coloured and B&W versions.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was intending to create a part surreal and part hyper-real image using slow shutter for the exposure and tonal contrast for post processing on the rocks.

3. Under what circumstance is the pictures taken?
It was 6:00 pm in the evening at Bang Saen Beach, the sun is setting behind the cloudy sky. The clouds were dark and moving with the wind, prompting eminent rain. It was high tide and the waters have partially submerged the rocks, creating tiny "islands" which extends out into the sea. I selected an angle where the rocks forms a triangular formation pointing out towards the sea. Using a ND filter in addition to a C-PL, I created a 30 second exposure on ISO 200 and aperture of f/8.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I like the cloud's motion under the aid of the winds and also the surreal look of the misty waters. The colours are post-processed to my liking, a little more vivid than what I usually would.

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the images. :)

#1 - Coloured Version
DSC_7875_resize.jpg

#2 - Black and White Version
DSC_7875_BW_resize.jpg

Nice rocks ! but i still want to see the sky bigger enough :)

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I do have a similar shot in portrait format showing more of the sky but i think the guideline here says not to post additional images on this thread so i shall not upload it here. :)

I like the coloured version better than the mono version. IMHO, the mono version is rather dull. You can use Channel Mixer to create stunning BW pictures.

I like the coloured version better than the mono version. IMHO, the mono version is rather dull. You can use Channel Mixer to create stunning BW pictures.

Thanks for the opinion on the coloured and B&W versions. Yes I am familiar with the Channel Mixers, this time round I was experimenting with Silver Efex for the conversion though. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated :)

how do you put it -

i like the composition, i like the sky. this is a good photo... but there is something seriously disorientating about the fact that the rocks seem a bit too bright....?

I love it, it is a nice pic.

how do you put it -

i like the composition, i like the sky. this is a good photo... but there is something seriously disorientating about the fact that the rocks seem a bit too bright....?

Hi bro nightmare, thanks for taking the time to comment on my photo. I agree that i've gone a bit too far with the post processing, perhaps i could tone down the brightness of the rocks a little. Thanks for the comments on the composition. :)

I love it, it is a nice pic.

Thank you very much. :)

Thanks for the opinion on the coloured and B&W versions. Yes I am familiar with the Channel Mixers, this time round I was experimenting with Silver Efex for the conversion though. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated :)

The last issue, as I can recall, of Digital Camera magazine explained some Photoshop techniques to create stunning mono pictures.

Nice!
I think the coloured one's better.

The last issue, as I can recall, of Digital Camera magazine explained some Photoshop techniques to create stunning mono pictures.

Thanks for the info on the resources, will take a look if I have the chance.

Nice!
I think the coloured one's better.

Thanks for taking time to comment, glad you liked the picture :)

how do you put it -

I was trying to figure out what was not right, I got this nagging feeling when I looked at it, that something is not right. And your post nailed it.

I do find the B&W version too bright overall and lack enough blacks in the entire pic.

I was trying to figure out what was not right, I got this nagging feeling when I looked at it, that something is not right. And your post nailed it.

I do find the B&W version too bright overall and lack enough blacks in the entire pic.

Thanks for the pointers. Will work on it when I have time. :)