Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, do you think this is damage capable of calculation or quantification? Damage sufferred by whom and how much?

I think it is very very difficult to quantify damages, even if it is due to ERM. ANd I don't see how ERM's heads should roll since they owe no duty of care or legal obligations to ordinary Singaporeans.

well, there must be some rules and regulations if the participants were to go thru. as a organiser to pick the most suitable lady to represent Singapore, they should at the least screen thru the participant for criminal records.

the likely scenario; in the headline of every nation that our country has pick a person with a criminal record. disgraceful? moral of the nation? integrity of the nation?

i really feel bad for her.
her english sucks, true, but ppl are being so prejudice but judging her from the way she speaks and one such incident.
we all make mistakes, she's young, probably not very mature, and i wouldn't blame her.
she probably doesn't deserve all this, when other girls of her age commit such errors, nobody slam them like that.
can't imagine the kind of mental torture she has been through for the past few months..

if it is true that she's forced to resign against her own will,
really screw those organizers.

wtf when we do all those whatever ribbon campaigns thingy when we can't even forgive a young girl whom commited a mistake when she's still young?
talk about being magnanimous singaporeans, tsk, my ass seriously.

who don't make mistake? if a person make mistake, and still proceed to cover up, then there is something wrong with the person; character issue. the ribbon campaign is to help ex-convict to lead a new life, to allow the society to accept them again. this has nothing to do with this issue.

凡事须量力而行

the likely scenario; in the headline of every nation that our country has pick a person with a criminal record. disgraceful? moral of the nation? integrity of the nation?

i don't know about the criminal record part, i think it also depends on how severe the offense was.. as well as when it was committed. don't you think?

we all make mistakes. that is something to remember. but the difference between a good person and a bad one is what happens after. do you learn? or do you just dive into deeper and murkier waters?

we all make mistakes, she's young, probably not very mature, and i wouldn't blame her.
she probably doesn't deserve all this, when other girls of her age commit such errors, nobody slam them like that.

well, in the first place, 18 is the age where people are held responsible for their actions.

i make fun of her bad english, but i don't judge her person by that. i acknowledge her bipolar disorder condition, but it is also important that not too much slack is given. she may not be pretty to me, never mind that.

even giving her the benefit of the doubt for not reading the contest T&C properly..

why deny the offense? does it serve any good? i'm sure at any age beyond 12 one would have learnt quickly enough that you can never hide anything forever.. did she think that singaporeans, of all people would forget? if she did, then she is treating the nation as a fool. now that, i cannot tolerate. if you have a past, there is no need to hide it - all will come out eventually, if people have a will to dig.

Last edited:
the rest of your post, fine.

but i am wondering, how does being an aeroengineering grad signify anything.....??? :dunno:

It doesn't signify anything.
Having seen both their youtube interview videos, it is in my humble opinion that the aero engineer is less likely to embarrass herself than RL in the Q & A session in SA.

Any way, I hope that RL true friends or her family members will knock some sense into her and she can move on from this saga. Maybe she did not see how a conviction in credit card fraud may have an negative impact on her career, since she is pursing a course related to hospitality.

Any way, I hope that RL true friends or her family members will knock some sense into her and she can move on from this saga. Maybe she did not see how a conviction in credit card fraud may have an negative impact on her career, since she is pursing a course related to hospitality.

well..

in the future, no employer will not know about this record now......

the rest of your post, fine.

but i am wondering, how does being an aeroengineering grad signify anything.....??? :dunno:

Aerospace grads know the curves of a NACA 2412 airfoil. :lovegrin:

Aerospace grads know the curves of a NACA 2412 airfoil. :lovegrin:

goats know how to chew grass. let's find one from the zoo and make her a beauty pageant winner. :lovegrin:

well..

in the future, no employer will not know about this record now......

Well, this is maybe another point that she may be unaware of.

From what I gather from her responses in the newapaper reports , it seems to me that she doesn't think that a conviction of fraud and subsequent sentenced for probation is as serious as a conviction and sentenced to jail? As least in the sense of applying for jobs. The question is usually " Have you been convicted ?" and not " Have you been jailed ? "

goats know how to chew grass. let's find one from the zoo and make her a beauty pageant winner. :lovegrin:

Exactly! I mean, if ppl ask you have you cheat in exam before obviously mean have you ever cheated before... where got "i didnt know he meant cheat in test counted also". How can such a fundamentally dishonest person be a rolemodel or a representative of the country?

Wellin your earlier post you are not talking about rules and regulations or whether it is disgraceful or otherwise. You were talking about damage upon "us".

I don't see any monetary damages (which i thought you were saying since you use the word "calculate") nor any other "moral" damage that other private competitions sending representatives are also otherwise not subject to. Why is it that a Miss Singapore representative is considered more indicative or representative of Singpaore than any other private competitions?

well, there must be some rules and regulations if the participants were to go thru. as a organiser to pick the most suitable lady to represent Singapore, they should at the least screen thru the participant for criminal records.

I thot I read somewhere that her probation sentence was not considered a criminal conviction. Not sure now where I read it though.

Thank you folks for the wonderful time in this thread. As usual, all good things including opinions and discussion must come to an end.

12 more posts and I'll close this thread. Please try to keep it nice.

:heart::heart: We Love You Miss Low! :heart: :heart:

I thot I read somewhere that her probation sentence was not considered a criminal conviction. Not sure now where I read it though.

here? :)

i quote:

Lawyers whom The Sunday Times spoke to said probation has always existed as a sentencing option, especially when dealing with juvenile offenders who may otherwise be sent to a corrective institution or prison.

A probation order is not considered a conviction and so will not bear a criminal record.

The order is often given to first-time offenders under the age of 21 who have committed minor crimes like theft and shoplifting. The goal is to rehabilitate rather than incarcerate them.

in any case, criminal record or not, it is on record now. i mean, maybe employers can't just say "you have a criminal record, bugger off", but i'm sure they'd be able to come up with other reasons. especially when the general public has seen all of that.. it's probably going to be hard to explain to them why you're using someone who committed fraud before.. to handle their credit cards.

especially if she does it again, then you'd be really screwed or something. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Thank you folks for the wonderful time in this thread. As usual, all good things including opinions and discussion must come to an end.

12 more posts and I'll close this thread. Please try to keep it nice.

:heart::heart: We Love You Miss Low! :heart: :heart:

Thank you Ris for 4 good days and 19 pages of discussion. You'll be dearly missed :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.