Summit's trail

DSC_0287a.jpg

Bored while resting

DSC_0292a.jpg

Bored while resting II

DSC_0309a.jpg

Summit from where i was sitting

Feedbacks are most welcome!

personally, i dun advocate photo-editing other than basics to newbies.

For DSLR, u always need to Unsharp mask your photos, else will look a bit too soft. other than unsharp mask, try to not use other editing techniques till u are comfortable understanding how ur camera is going to react to any shots you made.

most of your shots in the 2nd page looks ok. The ones tht dun look so ok like the macro shot and some portraits in 1st page, just need to pickup some basic techniques.

I'm not familiar with the model u're using, but it seems that it doesnt have good low-light focusing ability. not sure is it u select the wrong point of focus, or the lens itself is lousy or faulty or the camera itself hv some auto-focusing problem.

a1.jpg

I actually activated the D-lighting for this pic, but it's still dark?

a2.jpg

Quite grainy :( I used P mode without flash

a3.jpg

I actually touched up on this photo already but the colour still not as sharp? Imagine the original picture. Looks pretty dead. Sigh. I used Landscape mode for this one.

just some quick comments. not mean to discourage you but ur comments says u're really v. new :p. basic photography skills is all tht's needed fren.

1st pic, i dunno wht's d-lighting, but pictures with such bright background, you've 2 choice. use fill-in flash or sometimes wht i do is over expose the pic +1 to +2 and blow out the background if its not interesting (anyway). (i know, most ppl dun agree with me, but i'm just a tourist for such things)

2nd pic grainy coz high ISO. flash will NOT help you here. in fact, if u had used flash, this picture can throw away, coz u'll not see anything in the background. best advice - USE A TRIPOD and low ISO and DROP the flash idea. go down ur flat/condo/house at night to try this out to get a basic understanding of how ur camera behaves at night.

3rd pic, wht do u mean by color not as sharp? u mean picture not sharp? remember the unsharp mask advice. all DSLR needs to do it.

and by the way, 90% of the time, i use aperture priority, no need to switch mode here & there, no point at all. the other 10% of time are unique situations, eg. fireworks etc

Last edited:
work on fundamentals, within 1-2mths u'll be there.

otherwise, ur picture looks good for a newbie. forget whether is DSLR or PnS, at this level, both produce similar photos most of the time. for travel landscape photos, i seem to rely more & more on my PnS nowadays, call it laziness or the advance of technology :p.

personally, i dun advocate photo-editing other than basics to newbies.

For DSLR, u always need to Unsharp mask your photos, else will look a bit too soft. other than unsharp mask, try to not use other editing techniques till u are comfortable understanding how ur camera is going to react to any shots you made.

most of your shots in the 2nd page looks ok. The ones tht dun look so ok like the macro shot and some portraits in 1st page, just need to pickup some basic techniques.

I'm not familiar with the model u're using, but it seems that it doesnt have good low-light focusing ability. not sure is it u select the wrong point of focus, or the lens itself is lousy or faulty or the camera itself hv some auto-focusing problem.

Thanks for your effort :)

Unsharp mask? What's that?

Yeah, the first few photos were posted because i was really very dissatisfied with it and needed to know some answers.. I'm using Nikon D60 as mentioned.
it seems that it doesnt have good low-light focusing ability.

I have to agree with u on this unfortunately..

just some quick comments. not mean to discourage you but ur comments says u're really v. new :p. basic photography skills is all tht's needed fren.

1st pic, i dunno wht's d-lighting, but pictures with such bright background, you've 2 choice. use fill-in flash or sometimes wht i do is over expose the pic +1 to +2 and blow out the background if its not interesting (anyway). (i know, most ppl dun agree with me, but i'm just a tourist for such things)

2nd pic grainy coz high ISO. flash will NOT help you here. in fact, if u had used flash, this picture can throw away, coz u'll not see anything in the background. best advice - USE A TRIPOD and low ISO and DROP the flash idea. go down ur flat/condo/house at night to try this out to get a basic understanding of how ur camera behaves at night.

3rd pic, wht do u mean by color not as sharp? u mean picture not sharp? remember the unsharp mask advice. all DSLR needs to do it.

and by the way, 90% of the time, i use aperture priority, no need to switch mode here & there, no point at all. the other 10% of time are unique situations, eg. fireworks etc

Yeah, i was indeeed VERY new when i took these shots. Let's just say, before i boarded the plane, the shutter count is around 5? :bsmilie: And it's my very very first DSLR. Never held one before.

1st pic - i was one of the girls in the photo but just wanted to know some why and whynots regarding the photo taken. But will definitely take note of your advise!

i'm just a tourist for such things
Lol.. me too.. even if the composition is bad.. i still want the photo taken as well :p
2nd pic - roger!
3rd pic - colour not sharp. However after looking at other similar photos, i realized the color was as such because that's the way it is. That was the color of e lake and volcano. Still dunno what's unsharp mask... hmmm.. but will find out!

Yeah, now my camera is set to A mode most of the time as well :)

Last edited:
work on fundamentals, within 1-2mths u'll be there.

otherwise, ur picture looks good for a newbie. forget whether is DSLR or PnS, at this level, both produce similar photos most of the time. for travel landscape photos, i seem to rely more & more on my PnS nowadays, call it laziness or the advance of technology :p.

Thank you. Very kind words u have there :)

Will jia you!

For DSLR, u always need to Unsharp mask your photos, else will look a bit too soft.

i may be one who tend not to use sharpening, or if any, extremely sparingly. too little adjustment, i can't see any difference, and when i finally see a difference, they look horrible. and when the picture is soft due to misfocusing or worse mistakes, sharpening just dun help. well, unless someone points out to me that there are significantly better sharpening options from cs3 or elements 6 as i'm using an older version.

Last edited:
Dont be discouraged...

for consolation...i was in the same shoe as u when i started.
Went india with the kakis, I came back all pics blur...:embrass:
But it's good experience.

U'll learn day by day, time by time when u join other outings and practice practice practice.
Everyone learns from experience and mistakes..Dun forget to ask and try ...

Look foward to beautiful pictures from u soonest ...

CHA-YU! :lovegrin:

Dont be discouraged...

for consolation...i was in the same shoe as u when i started.
Went india with the kakis, I came back all pics blur...:embrass:
But it's good experience.

U'll learn day by day, time by time when u join other outings and practice practice practice.
Everyone learns from experience and mistakes..Dun forget to ask and try ...

Look foward to beautiful pictures from u soonest ...

CHA-YU! :lovegrin:

Awwww.. So sweet of you. Thanks dearie.. :heart::kiss::heart:

sharpening & unsharp mask works differently. but if a photo is soft due to misfocus, no amt of USM will help.

actually, whether DSLR or PnS, the photo techniques are the same.

good pics.
Can you share more information for approaching there.

Status
Not open for further replies.