Ricoh GR

i noticed a small spot in my photos... could it be dirt on sensor?

can I self service?

my camera is always in the dry cabinet when not used, can rule out fungus...

thanks for your feedback.

Damn. I have no idea on this. Any dirt or dust on your lens first? If it is on sensor, i guess need to go back to distro for servicing.

i noticed a small spot in my photos... could it be dirt on sensor? can I self service? my camera is always in the dry cabinet when not used, can rule out fungus... thanks for your feedback.

It happened to me too previously too.
I have to send it to the distributor to clean it. Of course your situation may or may not be the same as me
O

It happened to me too previously too. I have to send it to the distributor to clean it. Of course your situation may or may not be the same as me O

since can't do self cleaning might have to send it in... how many days it took and how much for your case? thanks

Damn. I have no idea on this. Any dirt or dust on your lens first? If it is on sensor, i guess need to go back to distro for servicing.

lens front element is clean... so it's probably inside. sigh!

I sent mine for dust remove once.... It's common problem for GR now... Need to wait for 4-5 working days till technician call u for collection....

got this JJC brand remote (CA-2) off ebay. First set that came didn't work, but that's because the remote itself was spoil.

2nd set worked like it should as a trigger. No complains since like no other options, USD$17. It have a continuous function but haven't tried it our yet

Last edited:
PSA : if anyone wants to sign up for the ricoh membership thing for $28. You can go to orient and sign up. They still have one set of the neck strap and red ring left. Polo tee only got M and L size though. I finally signed up just now.

Way faster then going through the Ricoh FB page. no replies coming to a month ... slow.

Anyone knows what is the best price or bundle in SG shops right now for a Ricoh GR?

I am starting to get a hang of this camera. I think in future for my travels, this is how my setup will be like.

Drop a few stops, i think the images that comes out are pretty good. Less things to lug around, more things to enjoy.

I could even do photography which needs long exposure

$mdeFaBi.jpg

Oops, water damage to the LCD. If only GR had Pentax's weather-sealing capabilities... Hope the repair will be covered by travel insurance!

(LCD still works fine apart from the discolouration and bright lines, was just displaying an image of a blank wall)

p1157170677-4.jpg

Last edited:
Has any Ricoh GR owner here encountered the problem below:

A) Power on the camera but the aperture mechanism remains close so the LCD just displays black screen.
B) Push the shutter button and take a black screen photo then the aperture mechanism opens and camera operates normally.
C) If camera is turned off or goes to sleep mode (that is the lens mechanism retracts) then start from step A again.

The camera has not been dropped or bumped hard (AFAIK).

If any GR owner has encountered this same problem, did the camera recovered normal operation (aperture open at power on) eventually or did you go for lens/shutter assembly replacement (I asked Ricoh and it would cost more than half the cost of a 2nd hand GR unit from B&S).

Thanks.

Has any Ricoh GR owner here encountered the problem below:

A) Power on the camera but the aperture mechanism remains close so the LCD just displays black screen.
B) Push the shutter button and take a black screen photo then the aperture mechanism opens and camera operates normally.
C) If camera is turned off or goes to sleep mode (that is the lens mechanism retracts) then start from step A again.

The camera has not been dropped or bumped hard (AFAIK).

If any GR owner has encountered this same problem, did the camera recovered normal operation (aperture open at power on) eventually or did you go for lens/shutter assembly replacement (I asked Ricoh and it would cost more than half the cost of a 2nd hand GR unit from B&S).

Thanks.

I met with exactly the same problem 2 weeks ago. Was quoted $350, and I went ahead with repair as I love this camera. Waiting for collection now.

I met with exactly the same problem 2 weeks ago. Was quoted $350, and I went ahead with repair as I love this camera. Waiting for collection now.

Thank you for sharing this.

In a way, I am relieved that I am not alone but sad that there's even two of us with this issue.

Your camera must be the reason the guy at Ricoh that I talked to a few days ago gave the impression he knew of such an issue and able to answer me immediately.

Is your camera about 2 years old? My camera had this issue one week ago while I was in HCMC.

I'd most likely just use my GR as-is (and miss a shot) as long as I could use it. I find S$ 350 too much for the repair (for now).

Thank you for sharing this.

In a way, I am relieved that I am not alone but sad that there's even two of us with this issue.

Your camera must be the reason the guy at Ricoh that I talked to a few days ago gave the impression he knew of such an issue and able to answer me immediately.

Is your camera about 2 years old? My camera had this issue one week ago while I was in HCMC.

I'd most likely just use my GR as-is (and miss a shot) as long as I could use it. I find S$ 350 too much for the repair (for now).

I bought mine used last year, so should be 2 years old or thereabouts. Now to think of it, my heart really pain, but 2nd hand still costs $600 and will probably have the same problem too.

I bought mine used last year, so should be 2 years old or thereabouts. Now to think of it, my heart really pain, but 2nd hand still costs $600 and will probably have the same problem too.

Still can used right ? Look on the happy side.

Sad to hear about the issue. But if they shutter issues does not affect much, just keep using it. Hope that the $350 is the quote but the actual repair will be cheaper :X

Darren, you brought ur GR into a swim?

any idea how much it cost for a cleaning service by APD? I was quoted HK$500..