Review of Sony Alpha NEX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
why i feel that the color is a bit unnatural?

The systems u guys using i will not named as i used both before... had a similar weakness... what u not used to is the dynamic range and color tonality of the NEX5 ... it had an excellent highlight and shadow detail.

To ed9119 how u personally find the dr of this camera?

Last edited:
why i feel that the color is a bit unnatural?

I had adjusted NOTHING on the camera except make sure it is on AWB .... now having a look again at the scroll down setting in Brightness/Color icon..... AH ! I notice that it is on
DRO-HDR Auto

AND the Creative Style was set to Vivid

Will turn both of that off today to see how it goes

Yesterday was shooting on Everything Auto mode

TODAY will shoot with the cam customized to my own needs

a. Apature Pirority mode
b. Single Shot mode
c. Exposure Compensation at 0 or -0.3
d. Spot Metering
e Single Point focussing
f Flash dialed down -1.0 stop
g. Creative Style set to Standard (didnt realize camera was set at Vivid yesterday)
h. ISO set at 200 (thats the lowest on this camera)

Darned........... this camera does not have AE Lock ....... Helloooooo???..... hope that they can include this function in one of the external buttons via firmware

Last edited:
Yesterday was shooting on Everything Auto mode

TODAY will shoot with the cam customized to my own needs

a. Apature Pirority mode
b. Single Shot mode
d. Spot Metering
e Single Point focussing
g. Creative Style set to Standard (didnt realize camera was set at Vivid yesterday)
h. ISO set at 200 (thats the lowest on this camera)
i am wondering if it is easy to change settings quickly. seems like you have to call up menu, and then got to brightness/color to change iso, exposure compensation, etc. that might be a bit unwieldy as compared to just pressing an iso button to change it. but then again, at this size, i think is hard to fit on that sort of button.

changing modes not so much of a problem, when moving from different lighting, you want different EV/iso changed quickly without having to fiddle around too much.

you have been using multi focusing? i wonder how to shift the spot for the single point focusing - hopefully don't need to call up menu and go menu diving..

Last edited:
that is some serious !$!$!$%$^$#^!!!!

pls keep us updated

Does the sweep panorama support portrait orientation? Ie hold the camera in portrait and sweep left to right.

I only know it can do up to down in landscape orientation.

Does the sweep panorama support portrait orientation? Ie hold the camera in portrait and sweep left to right.

I only know it can do up to down in landscape orientation.

yes - the sweep direction can be changed - left to right, right to left, top to bottom, and bottom to top.

The top to bottom/bottom to top can be turned for portrait orientation sweep from left to right.

The photos look great! I'm picking one up after it comes out instead of the micro 4/3 cameras..

Was shooting this morning at St Andrew's cathedral and around the Golden Mile Complex area this afternoon with Tungtung and Nokkieg

By end of day at 7pm battery was down to 2-3 % level..... this thing has got good juice.... i was reviewing pics, reviewing videos, and the LCD was turned on for about 4-5 hrs .... about 260 images and videos captured

Today shot with the cam customized to my own needs

a. Apature Pirority mode
b. Single Shot mode
d. Spot Metering
e Single Point focussing
h. ISO set at 200 when possible and higher at 1600 indoors

Darned........... this camera locks Focus and Exposure simultaneously with the shutter button half depressed

z_andrew1.jpg

another shot... this time zoomed to max..... ok image still nice and crispy
z_andrew_zoom.jpg

Without AEL Lock this below image was tough...... wanted to meter for sky/building but focus on the Road Sign..... but because the cam locks focus and exposure SIMULTANEOUSLY with half press shutter ..... just had to pray that f8 caught everything from 2m to infinity
z_capitol.jpg

sky like that my fault for saving it in lower res
ok.... this image was shot with the cam pointing literally SKYWARDS UP....... with LCD screen flipped out it helped tons with the composition
z_basketball.jpg

the little flash was dialed down 1.7 stops in image below
z_auntie.jpg

Last edited:
Zoom at maxed focal length ....... image still looks pretty snappy and crispy
z_zoom.jpg

ahhh..... the colors look more natural today ha ha .......this was at 5.30pm
z_wall.jpg

Golden Mile area is camera friendly........ JUST DONT shoot the uncles with their Thai ladies and you will be OK
z_victory.jpg

z_tv.jpg

z_cd.jpg

Last edited:
Spent most of the afternoon chatting up both Thai and local folks ...... THIS is how street should be shot..... put down your camera and get to know the people first ....
z_chat.jpg

z_chat2.jpg

z_group.jpg

when you get to know your subject ....Oh NO sorry, I mean ...... WHEN YOUR SUBJECT GETS TO KNOW YOU
z_newspaper.jpg

I would normally need to get down on my stomach to get this perspective..... thank you flip-out LCD for making life easy
z_sit.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, much prefer the color tone of standard picture setting! :thumbsup:

thanks to the larger sensor size..... got some bokeh
z_tung_newspaper.jpg

shutter lag was negligible enough to catch this birdie ..... but a DSLR's only a bit faster, thats all
z_pigeon.jpg

spot metering worked fine...... exposed for his shirt
z_man.jpg

OK Have to return this cam to Sony tomorrow ...........IF I can have it for a few more days.......... :)

Last edited:
lol... that means the sony pronouncedly advertised bokeh is non existing.. hahaha

lol... that means the sony pronouncedly advertised bokeh is non existing.. hahaha

its there....... in moderation..... :)

its a 3.5 to 5.6 zoom ....... dont apply 1.8/2,8 expectations to it ... not fair

Last edited:

18mm with aperture of 3.5 = 5.14 of cos there wont be much dof, everyone knows that what. This is the limitation of the lens, not the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.