Review: Nikon's newest line - the Nikon 1 series V1 and J1 cameras

Just saw the actual product. Surprisingly heavy.

my friend has her mind set on getting a pink kit.

Just wondering, how does the Noise compare against older DSLRS like the d80 or even d90?

Just tried it out at funan shops...too pricey compared to more established m4/3 system

volvic60 said:
wow nikon is really pulling out all the stops for their 1 series.. lens and accessory lineup is impressive. puts sony/panasonic/oly to shame

Yes, really put them to shame by earning the most profits out of the lousiest products.

They make it lousy so that they can sell you the accessories to enhance it.

not wanting to sound like a nikon fanboy, but it is alot better than i expected,
with some technologies that are unique

ortega said:
not wanting to sound like a nikon fanboy, but it is alot better than i expected,
with some technologies that are unique

Agreed it really has some nice features and IQ is actually also quite good for sensor this size.

However, being priced similarily as nex and more expensive than m4/3 counterparts, this is one reason that puts me off.

In fact stock of j1 arrives while i was collecting my A77 at mscolor last wed, i was quite tempted to try and buy it on the spot, but after hearing the price, i dun even want to see it.

Agreed it really has some nice features and IQ is actually also quite good for sensor this size.

However, being priced similarily as nex and more expensive than m4/3 counterparts, this is one reason that puts me off.

In fact stock of j1 arrives while i was collecting my A77 at mscolor last wed, i was quite tempted to try and buy it on the spot, but after hearing the price, i dun even want to see it.
yes the price is also surprising

Can use remote triggering or not har?

Are there available UV filters for the nikon 1 lenses?

wow, took my friend's nikon j1 for a test run. its super pink. Pink lens, pink lens hood, pink strap, pink pouch!

too bad only got to try it after 7pm so only indoor lightning and night shots. i think the image quality is pretty good. cant wait till the adaptors for nikkor lenses or a 1.8 CX lens is available.

The camera was confusing to use for the first 10 minutes but after that it got pretty easy. if youre a nikon DSLR user, you'll feel at home with it.

only thing that slightly annoyed me was that i couldnt set a minimum shutter speed for auto ISO(even the D70 has that option) so the aperture/shutter priority modes were quite useless in low light because it kept choosing stupid shutter speeds like 1/8 which is not that good for handheld shots. ended up shooting manual.
maybe TS knows how to set? pls let me know if you do

is there any button to adjust the ISO manually without diving into the Menu too?

Last edited:
I heard the pink set has a totally pink box too, any photos of the package?

At the street price made more sense than the ridiculous RRP that nikon set albeit still on the high side . The IQ was fine for the sensor size. What amazed me was the bokeh from both the 10-30 and the 30-110. It was quite outstanding for a kit lens considering the sensor size. If faster lenses were available I might just consider the V1.

I have posted in the Nikon Thread, perhaps I will post here as some members might not visit the Nikon 1 user thread

Here are some images taken from my V1

Taken straight from camera with 100% crop to see the details :

DSC_0811a.jpg

100% crop to see the details
DSC_0811ab.jpg

DSC_0813a.jpg

DSC_0813ab.jpg

Last edited: