Review : a VERY Panoramic 24x108mm homemade camera

I'm new to photography, but the shots and the DIY camera itself looks awesome! A big kudos to you!

Matt

Once upon a time, I use to hack plastic model kits together to create different versions.

...But you're doing it with cameras !!! :bigeyes: ...you've taken it to a whole different level ! :thumbsup: ...Bro, you've got my total admiration for your passion. :heart:

beautiful shots, lovely camera :lovegrin:
but how did you get the focussing right for this cam, since theres no ground glass?

Finally managed to snap some pictures showing the inside of the camera.

YPAN backend
5231806240_975942d71a_b.jpg

A pair of GSN pressure plates
5231215203_826317fc98_b.jpg

beautiful shots, lovely camera :lovegrin:
but how did you get the focussing right for this cam, since theres no ground glass?

The lens is aligned for infinity focus during construction phase using translucent scotch tape as ground glass. Then during picture taking, it's all guesstimates. But lucky for me, most of the time I am shooting at infinity and hope for the best.

A few pictures taken with YPAN in New Zealand. Film was some kind of Fuji Velvia.

Glendhu Bay, Lake Wanaka.
5226436946_057cc2b4e2_b.jpg

Another view at the same location
5226437038_b948b68e22_b.jpg

Yet another view of the same location
5226437124_217c83029f_b.jpg

wow.. great images.. n salute to u for the YPAN

The lens is aligned for infinity focus during construction phase using translucent scotch tape as ground glass. Then during picture taking, it's all guesstimates. But lucky for me, most of the time I am shooting at infinity and hope for the best.

Thank you for showing us the interior. Look like a fine piece of work even on the inside.

Have you thought of ways in making this modified camera even better?

I thought it will be quite roughly done, but it seems good

I have a suggestion. Try using YPan to shoot IR. The photo will look like a huge painting after developing. I am quite sure it will be good :D.

Thank you for showing us the interior. Look like a fine piece of work even on the inside.

Have you thought of ways in making this modified camera even better?

At its current state, it's a decent light tight box with a lens in front and film at the back to enable me to capture some pictures that I thought would look good in a longish strip of film. I always wanted to somehow mount the bubble level and the viewfinder more properly instead of the current mess of scotch tapes, but I guess I got lazy. Maybe when I shoot a few more rolls and get irritated enough by the scotch tapes...... ah, that reminds me to stockup a few more bricks of Velvia from fleabay since USD is kind of low now.

On a more serious note, one of the improvement that potentially improves the picture is a dedicated lenshood for the format as the extra coverage of the lens can lead to stray light inside the camera hence reducing contrast. Unfortunately, a workable lenshood hasn't been found yet. Maybe that's another project......

Looking at the picture, since you have a hotshoe free, a simple hotshoe bubble would work well, less mess of cellotape :)
Then again, it's kinda cool to have the bubble from your trip, like a souvenir that you always carry with you everytime you shoot to remind you of its origins and memories

At its current state, it's a decent light tight box with a lens in front and film at the back to enable me to capture some pictures that I thought would look good in a longish strip of film. I always wanted to somehow mount the bubble level and the viewfinder more properly instead of the current mess of scotch tapes, but I guess I got lazy. Maybe when I shoot a few more rolls and get irritated enough by the scotch tapes...... ah, that reminds me to stockup a few more bricks of Velvia from fleabay since USD is kind of low now.

On a more serious note, one of the improvement that potentially improves the picture is a dedicated lenshood for the format as the extra coverage of the lens can lead to stray light inside the camera hence reducing contrast. Unfortunately, a workable lenshood hasn't been found yet. Maybe that's another project......

try white glue for the bubble. you can glaze the whole thing and it ll be very strong. just as long as it doesnt get wet it ll be find.

may i suggest, making your own lens hood? you can go to http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ and find one with the same angle of view, up or downsize it to fit the filter thread, paste the paper on black pvc sheet from artfriend and cut out the shape. then glue the plastic to an old filter ring(glass removed). use male-male reverse mount ring and you ll be able to flip it backward for storage on the lens itself!

this is all very inspiring!

Hi e905591s, what's ur nickname or real name? Ur ID mostly numbers. Fantastic creativity. U shld tell Yashica about tht man! Did ur photos sharpen a lot in PS? What hardware did u use to scan them? Where did u develop ur Velvia? (my favourite film) Have u thought about investing in Mamiya 7? If any Japanese DSLRs can come up with panoramic sensors, i tell u..u gotta rob the bank & buy it man. Sorry too many questions...

Hi e905591s, what's ur nickname or real name? Ur ID mostly numbers. Fantastic creativity. U shld tell Yashica about tht man! Did ur photos sharpen a lot in PS? What hardware did u use to scan them? Where did u develop ur Velvia? (my favourite film) Have u thought about investing in Mamiya 7? If any Japanese DSLRs can come up with panoramic sensors, i tell u..u gotta rob the bank & buy it man. Sorry too many questions...

the good yashica we know is dead liao =\ same for vivitar and contax. all leased to kyocera who destroyed their good names...

Get those bubble that are flat with a circle in the middle. It is easier to allign horizontal and vertical as well as flat so you can just paste it on without a tape.

how about a hotshoe spirit level like this? http://jefflynchdev.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/bubble_level_blog.jpg?w=471&h=571 since there are 2 hotshoes mount.

just a little comment on images. While it is great to be able to look at the "wideness", the cropped mountain top kinda make me want to "pull the image down" to view the top of the mountain as well. Maybe a interchangeable lens that can capture a even wider and "taller" image? I am probably commenting on something I am not familiar with. Apologies for that.

With all that said, I still can't said enough how good the iq of the images are.

focus at infinity, have you come across any situation when this don't quite work?

focus at infinity, have you come across any situation when this don't quite work?

Since I mostly shoot landscape with this camera, infinity focus is fine, especially the shooting aperture is normally f/16 or smaller. Example of nearer subjects would be the Red Temple Door picture. I have calibrated the focusing helicoid at 6m, 3m and 1.5m for such instances.