Reverse macro of random things =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, is possible to obtain a deeper DOF? mine seems to be thinner thn majority of pics here?

my setup is a 100mm series e thn i took 2 filters and wedged a 5 times magnifying glass in between and taped them up.

you probably tried that already but have you tried bumping up the aperture (ie make the aperture smaller) to increase the DOF?

hehe .. actually first time i heard this approach of creating a close up lens. you should wrap it up in white paper and put a red rubber band over it and create your own 'L' macro lens :p

you probably tried that already but have you tried bumping up the aperture (ie make the aperture smaller) to increase the DOF?

hehe .. actually first time i heard this approach of creating a close up lens. you should wrap it up in white paper and put a red rubber band over it and create your own 'L' macro lens :p

hi bro, yes i have. until the corners vignetted( not sure if this is the correct term) the corners turned black. i have a photo but can i post in here TS? or is it bcoz of my len size? both is 52mm. :dunno:

does this work with 2 18-55mm lenses or does it only work on lenses with fixed aperture?

hi, is possible to obtain a deeper DOF? mine seems to be thinner thn majority of pics here?

my setup is a 100mm series e thn i took 2 filters and wedged a 5 times magnifying glass in between and taped them up.

Shoot at your minimum aperture. Other than that, no.

Alright. 15 minutes of "quick wirl"
removed back of a spare cap.
even out some of to protrusions.
couldn't find my 52-58. so pop in a 52-77 for the time being.
viola.

You can pop in a 52mm thread snugly. To be more secure, some sort of glue with be ideal. You can use any 52mm - XXmm step up rings to your liking.

now you can pop on filter of any size and protect the back element of your reversed lens

hi kaomoo,

a couple of questions, as i am keen to try out your mod. is that a step-up ring that you glued to the plastic cap?

so, how do you glue metal to plastic?

and what is the diameter of the step-up ring flange to match the lens cap? it looks like the hole you cut on the lens cap is right up to the rim, and so there is little bonding surface between the cap and the step-up ring.

thnks for your advice. :)

Shoot at your minimum aperture. Other than that, no.

thanks for the heads up
will try it out... btw can post my trail pic in here?

Last edited:
yes, pls post some pics to share ideas. thnks. :)

this is my eye from a 10 dollar note.

DSCF4571.jpg

Last edited:

this is my eye from a 10 dollar note.

yeap, there is vignetting at the corners. i think this is the problem with reversed macro. the filed-of-view is limited and focussing is difficult, unless the object is under bright light. if we stop down the aperture to increase the DOF, we get serious vignetting, because the focal blades have become closer. but we do it wide-open, we lose a lot of DOF.

i took a similar shot of the eye of a $2 note and got vignetting also.

i think i would prefer to stick with using raynox clipped to a zoom.

the prime 50mm can be reserved for bokeh shot. ha ha... :)

i am blown away by the eye... scary but nice

did anyone try reverse-coupling two prime 50mm lens? i wonder what the effect would be like.... :dunno:

macrosetup1.jpg

I saw this reverse lens macro setup on the net. It's a nikkor 55-200mm mounted with a reversed nikkor 18-55mm.

Does it really work? I tried this setup on my D90. And What i see is nothing but i tiny dot.

Last edited:
did anyone try reverse-coupling two prime 50mm lens? i wonder what the effect would be like.... :dunno:

I did before and it gives you 1:1 macro, I noticed that the IQ is also much better than zoom (that's for me) :)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/reverse lens works/alberttamayo/photography/macrosetup1.jpg

I saw this reverse lens macro setup on the net. It's a nikkor 55-200mm mounted with a reversed nikkor 18-55mm.

Does it really work? I tried this setup on my D90. And What i see is nothing but i tiny dot.

Open up the aperture latch of your 18-55mm.

I did before and it gives you 1:1 macro, I noticed that the IQ is also much better than zoom (that's for me) :)

Open up the aperture latch of your 18-55mm.

Now i got problems focusing. Should i focus using my 18-55 or my 55-200? Can someone help? :(

Now i got problems focusing. Should i focus using my 18-55 or my 55-200? Can someone help? :(

I think you should be able to focus on the 55-200 but the best way if you already have it reversed is to just physically move back and forth to get the subject in focus.

I think you should be able to focus on the 55-200 but the best way if you already have it reversed is to just physically move back and forth to get the subject in focus.

Really hard to master this skill. but fun to try anyway. Im still unable to get anything in focus. haha.

Really hard to master this skill. but fun to try anyway. Im still unable to get anything in focus. haha.

hard to hold steady such a long contraption. you might need a tripod. but with the camera mounted on the tripod, it would restrict your movement to do manual focus.

thanks for reply. not surprising that the IQ is very good, but did you have problem with using f/16 and then get vignettes?

thanks for reply. not surprising that the IQ is very good, but did you have problem with using f/16 and then get vignettes?

I think there's still a vignetting at any aperture. You can give it a try too :)
Now, I am using my 18-70mm + reverse 50mm f1.4 and there's still a bit of vignetting.
Anyway, you can crop it a bit and sometimes it helps for the re-composition of your shot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.