Request to Use of Flickr photo: Should I ask for renumeration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxwayne

Nov 6, 2007
I received a message from an online website requesting to use my photo for a publication. I will of course be credited. Just wondering, should I ask them to pay me? I mean, I don't need the money, but I feel at least it should be worth something? Like maybe $25 dollars?

depends on what it's for.

if the website isn't using it for commercial purposes, i.e. they are nonprofit, then if you are willing to let them use, you shouldn't expect renumeration.

on the other hand, if they are profit-making, then obviously you have a right to demand, and point that out.

in every case, you have a right to demand renumeration, of course.

i have gotten many such requests, normally once you speak of renumeration they thank you and tell you to have a nice day and look elsewhere. :bsmilie:

btw, sometimes you even get requests from publishing companies, airlines, etc.. best part is, from experience, none of them are willing to pay.

why? they have been spoilt by the exploding amounts of overzealous people online who think that "exposure" is going to help them. not when the credit line is not placed prominently....

There is no free lunch but try not to push your luck. I have been asked many times for licensing but selectively only say yes to some and National Geographic Online was one of them. How can I say no to them and of course they have the contractual paperwork and standard fees.

What kind of publication? Widely circulated? What kind of credit? Got URL back to your website? That may not be too bad. If just a name, quite pointless unless your name is so unique when ppl Google they can find your website. Also depends on how much you think your photo is worth. I had one which was to be used in a university publication but it was not one of my better shots so I let them use FOC with just a name credit back. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I think night86mare and babykailan have just about covered the salient points...

But please, ask for remuneration, and not renumeration...

Dont set the wrong standard!

As night86mare pointed out, if it is used for non-profit purpose then let them have it for free but must get some sort of accreditation. If for profit purpose like Silk air publication or online webby then.... what are you waiting for.... chargeeeeed.......

Accreditation means "cr.ap" if you dont get anything.

Dont set the wrong standard!

As night86mare pointed out, if it is used for non-profit purpose then let them have it for free but must get some sort of accreditation. If for profit purpose like Silk air publication or online webby then.... what are you waiting for.... chargeeeeed.......

Accreditation means "cr.ap" if you dont get anything.

sorry but Non-profit does not mean Free

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit_organization

Non-profits are still organisations that pay their staff and pay for materials,services, etc
To give a free photo is a personal choice but we should not say that just because it's for a non-profit it should be given free

sorry but Non-profit does not mean Free

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit_organization

Non-profits are still organisations that pay their staff and pay for materials,services, etc
To give a free photo is a personal choice but we should not say that just because it's for a non-profit it should be given free

organisation like NKF? makes things easier "Charg.......ed"

Reminds me of what my friend has talked about a few days back regarding on his wife was requested to help out for 'special" kids event. Being a good natured christian, she offered her service (non-photography related) in this. But few months later, the hospital requested again for her service and mentioned it was for the hospital staffs.... First question that came to my mind was.... is the hospital staffs volunteers or are they paid staffs? If they are paid staffs and this would fall under the umbrella of staff welfare of the hospital in which the hospital should pay for the service.

perhaps when i was talking about this non-profit purpose is phrased in a wrong way. More like charity drive in which no amount of money was used to pay for manpower. All volunteer based and most likely one time off event for per year basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.