Removing UV filter b4 placing in dry box/cab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amokduke

Dec 7, 2007
Tampines
Hi,

I am newbie. Just got my 1st dslr and I got a dry box to keep the camera and lens to prevent fungus.

Then something hit me, and I have been pondering it ever since.

Say you got your lens, then you screw in the UV filter to protect it.
Then the air between the filter and the lens is at normal RH level.

When you put the lens inside the dry box/cab, the air outside the filter and lens body will drop in RH, while the air btw the filter and lens is still at normal RH.

I assume that the filter's thread will form an air-tight seal with the lens thread.

Does this means that to properly protect our equipments, we should unscrew all the filters, lens cap (front and rear) and body cover before placing them inside the dry box/cab?

No need to remove filter.
Have been storing lenses with filters fixed on, front and rear caps and cam bodies with body caps fixed on, in dry cabinets for more than 10years. hmm.. maybe >20 yrs.

just damp inside the dry cab will do, don't need to remove filter or lens cap, don't need to dis mount lens from camera unless you run out of space.

if you keep your camera and flash inside dry cab for long long, than you need to remove the batteries in case it leaks.

just damp inside the dry cab will do, don't need to remove filter or lens cap, don't need to dis mount lens from camera unless you run out of space.

You mean, just 'dump' inside... :bsmilie:

Then something hit me, and I have been pondering it ever since.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Dump the whole thing into your box!

i don't know but it happened to me. i placed the camera in the dry cabinet with filter screwed on tight enough, and when i took it out after a few days, dusts appeared between the lens and filter. i was sure that it was dustless before i put it in. :bsmilie:

... so i guess it's the same with or without the filter. just put it in. :sweat:

Cool,

Thanks for all the replies...

Will just dump everything in. =)

Hi,

I assume that the filter's thread will form an air-tight seal with the lens thread.

The seal is not air-tight. Hence, the RH between the lens/filter and inside the dry cabinet will be the same.

Hi, IMO, I think the best way to avoid fungus attack is to actually take your gear out once in a while to play. Open your drybox occasionally to "air" it as well. So far, I've left all my filters on lens also. No problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.