Regarding the nikon built-in commander mode

Mar 20, 2012
Hi guys

I am owned a nikon d7000 and pretty much using built-in commander mode recently. I found a funny thing.

Say, I enabled auto fp(hi speed syncing) to x1/250 or x1/320. Set the built in flash as "--" in CMD mode . If I dial the shutter speed equal to or slower than any of the auto fp setting , the pre flash will taken in and affect the picture result . Conversely, I set the shutter faster than any of the auto fp settings (1/400 etc). The pre flash fired but never been taken in the picture.

Also, I tried disable the HI Speed syncing . The built in flash will fire and the light will taken in in any shutter settings and affect the result.

I am wondering is it suppose work in this way ?

Most appreciate !

how can you say pre flash is taken into account? pre flash is pre flash, used to measure the situation so that it will know how much light to throw. Are you using your D7000 as CMD with other light/speedlight?

MilanTristan said:
how can you say pre flash is taken into account? pre flash is pre flash, used to measure the situation so that it will know how much light to throw. Are you using your D7000 as CMD with other light/speedlight?

hi, I am using CMD with other two flash.

The "pre flash " here I meant is the light which trigger the remote light . I don't know how to call it . Sorry . Lol

Last edited:
are those other light also Nikon or 3rd party? Using CLS (TTL, Manual) or simple slave in the remote flashes? What makes you think that "pre flashes" is being taken into account? It will be difficult to tell what's happening if we don't know your shooting conditions/set-up.

MilanTristan said:
are those other light also Nikon or 3rd party? Using CLS (TTL, Manual) or simple slave in the remote flashes? What makes you think that "pre flashes" is being taken into account? It will be difficult to tell what's happening if we don't know your shooting conditions/set-up.

I am using it with two Nissin 822 mark ii.
I want to use the built in flash to only trigger those flash in CLS mode

in that case I don't think CLS will work as you are using 3rd party speedlight.

MilanTristan said:
in that case I don't think CLS will work as you are using 3rd party speedlight.

Sorry , let me rephrase. I am asking about the built in flash trigger light issue . I even switch off those 3rd party speed light . The built in flash work in this way too. The trigger flash will taken into account.

ok, getting back to the issue. If you set the body's flash as CMD and set it to "--", whatever shutter speed you use even in Auto FP sync mode, it should not get into account the flash fired by the built-in flash.

MilanTristan said:
ok, getting back to the issue. If you set the body's flash as CMD and set it to "--", whatever shutter speed you use even in Auto FP sync mode, it should not get into account the flash fired by the built-in flash.

May I know is there any settings that I might take notice ?

danieldeng1986 said:
May I know is there any settings that I might take notice ?

what do you mean?

MilanTristan said:
what do you mean?

I mean , any other settings I need to set properly in order to make the trigger light wont effect the result

Since there is no CLS, the trigger-flash has become an actual flash function. It has been all along beginning when you were using high-sync. It is not using commander-mode, just triggering optical slave for your Nissans.

What you can do is, place tissue paper in front to diffuse the light, power down so it is less powerful. Or simply get a set of wireless flash triggers.

check your flash setting again and make sure it is set to CMD with "-" option selected. Sometimes we change the setting but we forget to do a simple step of pressing OK so the changes won't take effect.

Tested with D90 and pop-up flash set to Commander mode and '--'.

At shutter speed < sync speed (1/200s), some light from pop-up flash is captured. It isn't as bright as when pop-up flash is set to 'TTL', but it's still there. At sync speed, the light from the pop-up flash is practically not captured.

Last edited:
Did a quick test:

FlashTest_01.jpg
FlashTest_02.jpg
FlashTest_03.jpg

Some output from the pop-up flash is captured at 1/125s. Above 1/200s flash output is not captured. Camera specifically states that "FP high-speed sync is not available with the built-in flash"

ZerocoolAstra said:
Tested with D90 and pop-up flash set to Commander mode and '--'.

At shutter speed < sync speed (1/200s), some light from pop-up flash is captured. It isn't as bright as when pop-up flash is set to 'TTL', but it's still there. At sync speed, the light from the pop-up flash is practically not captured.

Hi , there , thanks for you reply. That is really appreciate for your testing! In this case , my camera should be no issue .