Recondition of lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosm

Sep 8, 2003
Hill with a View
Currently I have some Nikkor F mount lens , 16mm, 28mm, 55mm and a 105mm.
All of them have various stages of fungus......

I was wondering does any one knows if the lens can be cleaned or restored to their near orignal condition?

Is it possible to clean off the multicoat and recoat them?

any other suggestion?

hosm said:

I was wondering does any one knows if the lens can be cleaned or restored to their near orignal condition?

any other suggestion?

Can be cleaned, but rather impossible to be restored to their original condition.

Send back to the manufacturer also cannot clean and recoat.

hosm said:

any other suggestion?

Once the lens gets fungus, even if you get it cleaned, there's a good chance that it'll come back again later.. How come so many lenses get fungus? You don't have a dry cabinet? :dunno:

Gymrat76 said:
Once the lens gets fungus, even if you get it cleaned, there's a good chance that it'll come back again later.. How come so many lenses get fungus? You don't have a dry cabinet? :dunno:

This is a myth. If it is cleaned thoroughly, used regularly and stored properly in a dry cabinet when not in use, fungus will not return.

The coating will be etched in severe cases of fungus growth and can be recoated. But it is expensive and not worth the cost/trouble.

If all you see is the early stages of fungus growth (i.e. white feathery spider web like growths), it is likely that the fungus is only on the surface and can be cleaned off easily. It probably will not have etched the coating. Get it cleaned asap to ensure that it doesn't become worse.

As for recoating and repolishing. The Focal Point Lens company does recoating and repolishing of lenses but they charge a lot for the service. So unless your lenses are rare (Leica, Rollei and the ilk) I'd say forgetaboutit.

Focal Point Lens
1017 South Boulder Road Suite E-2
Louisville, CO 80027
Phone: 303-665-6640
email: john@focalpointlens.com
www: http://www.focalpointlens.com/

Tetrode said:
This is a myth. If it is cleaned thoroughly, used regularly and stored properly in a dry cabinet when not in use, fungus will not return.

Really? Oh well, goes to show you shouldn't believe everything thats on the WEB.. sorry for the mis-info :)

GYR-

Thanks for the pointers.
To answer some of your questions...

I've not been using those lens over 10 years....if I can recall...
maybe I send it down to nikon to seek their advice and pricing.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.