recommended top 3 lens to buy for newbies

For me currently I'm using

1) Tamron 17-50 2.8 Non Vc
2) Af-s 35mm 1.8G / Af-s 50mm 1.8G (Night time)

So far very happy with my set up haha..

Actually it really depends how deep is your pocket....

Newbie with no budget:

18-55mm
55-200mm
35mm f1.8
Can do alot of things with these already.

Newbie with lots of budget:
Nikon Trinity.

Last edited:
The prime lovers will have their own version of 'trinity' made up probably of latest f/1.4 prime lenses... ;o) (which are also not cheap either...)

f1.4 primes are simply posion...someday, i'm gonna replace my 35mm f1.8 for the sigma 30mm f1.4

Currently my lens are:
18-105 (kit lens)
50mm f/1.8
80-200 f/2.8

Satisfied with it at the moment. Now saving up to change my setup to add 11-16 tokina and 17-50 tamron.
Those 2 lens are my wishlist right now. :)

35mm or 50mm or 85mm would be better for newbies?

What's the best wide angle lens for newbies with no budget?

Newbie here, help is greatly appreciated! Thanks (:)

69eztnahz said:

I assume you have a dx body... Imo, 35mm is good for portrait, and 85mm for streets.

best wide angle is probably your kit lens (18-105)... if you need ultra wide, then tokina 11-16/2.8 is one of the better one out there.

35 50 85.. this 3 lenses are quite different from one another.. better you find out which FL fits your usage more. No such thing as which is better.
Your second question... simple. No budget...then stick to your kit lens. 18mm is pretty decent wide enough.

I assume you have a dx body... Imo, 35mm is good for portrait, and 85mm for streets.

Ahh I see... then 50mm is suited for?

18mm is pretty decent wide enough.

Oh so is the 18-55mm better or 18-105mm?

I haven't gotten my dslr body yet but hoping it'd be a d7000! So I'm scouting for lenses first :)

Thanks for all the help!

50mm can be useful in too many way.. walkabout..street..portraits..food..etc etc you name it. it really depends on the preference of the photographer. likewise the 35mm and 85mm can also be use for those..just that they offer different angle of view since the focal length is all different.

theoretically speaking.. the 18-105 would be a "better" lens. Because it covers you to 105mm.. But you probably going to pay more for that. So if you dont need that range then the 18-55 would be a better lens for you. Always mentioned. Best you head down to the stores..Hands on. Only then you will find out more and understand what you want.

50mm can be useful in too many way.. walkabout..street..portraits..food..etc etc you name it. it really depends on the preference of the photographer. likewise the 35mm and 85mm can also be use for those..just that they offer different angle of view since the focal length is all different.

theoretically speaking.. the 18-105 would be a "better" lens. Because it covers you to 105mm.. But you probably going to pay more for that. So if you dont need that range then the 18-55 would be a better lens for you. Always mentioned. Best you head down to the stores..Hands on. Only then you will find out more and understand what you want.

Is it possible to use a 35mm lens and move close enough to get a 50mm look? Oh but I heard that many people find the 18-55 a better lens than the 18-105!

69eztnahz said:
Is it possible to use a 35mm lens and move close enough to get a 50mm look? Oh but I heard that many people find the 18-55 a better lens than the 18-105!

Some say, u might as well get a point & shoot camera....

Oh well, I suggest u get your dslr FIRST and then decide whic len is best for u....

best wide angle is probably your kit lens (18-105)... if you need ultra wide, then tokina 11-16/2.8 is one of the better one out there.

85mm on a dx body for street would be a bit of a challenge, imho. ;)

Some say, u might as well get a point & shoot camera....

Oh well, I suggest u get your dslr FIRST and then decide whic len is best for u....

Agree, if you happen to get a FF dslr as your FIRST dslr, then the whole gamut of suitable lenses would change. ;)

Haha nope not getting a ff dslr, getting the dx one! Thanks for your help guys :)