recommended 18-200 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But @ f5.6 and f6.3 i wouldn't worry about the difference. :)

Outdoor shots maybe not... but indoor shots make a whole lots of different... else Canon would just make a F6.3 that is much much cheaper..... :bsmilie:

Do you need all that range? I'd urge you to reconsider. Once you discover its shortcomings as a superzoom, you'll feel the need for a constant large aperture lens. For your budget, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is easily within range. On a 1000D body, this range is the most commonly found walkabout range, for wide angle work at 17mm, and some portraiture or closeups at 50mm.

it depends how often u use each range and whether you like changing lens.
i use 60% of the time at 24-70 range. above 100-300mm 10% of the time, below 24 30%

i used to have 18-55 vr + 55-200 vr. then i sold 55-200 cos range not egh, got a 70-300mm. which i sold cos i realise when i need the range, i dun have it, when i dun need it, takes too long to change lens.
i also bought a 24-70mm f2.8 (sigma) only to realise i end up using 50mm more than it. so in the end..

i sold my 70-300mm, 24-70 f2.8 to buy 18-270 tamron ( loving it!!), still trying to sell my 18-55 vr.

i bring 18-270 to shoot watever i need, from landscape to close-up to protrait, i keep my 50 mm f1.4 all the time for lowlight. for serious landscape i use my trusty 12-24mm f/4 tokina + tripod.

im a believer of keeping not more than 3 lens. if i got cash, i would go chiong nikon trinity. else... 18-270+50mm f1.4 is more than enough for me 90% of the time:)

To each their own. IMHO the idea of a superzoom 18-200~250mm is basically like having an expensive larger-sensor superzoom P&S. It detracts from the distinct SLR advantage of having a lens suitable for each task.

Superzooms are complicated lens. Depending on your sample, it might be perfect or it might have different types of distortion at different focal lengths. Not different "amplitudes" of distortion, which is easy to correct. Different types e.g. wavy in medium zoom on top of the usual barrel/pincusion at wide/tele. That combined with focal length/focal distance disparity...well...if you use a DSLR like you would a P&S then I guess it's tolerable. :dunno:

Your mileage may vary. In the end the MOST important thing is that you should enjoy using your camera. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.