Recommendations on telezoom lens

Obviously TS doesnt know what he want.

oh i do... i want a telezoom (as my current lens is only up to 40mm) , i care about image quality but i also want convenience, that;s why i am struggling a bit... I never have doubts on the quality and value of the 70-200 family

Yes , convenience vs quality. The weight of 70-200 f4 is not a problem it's its length. As my cam is only a small 550D, I find it a bit not balanced well. and I will need to find a bigger cam bag. Right now I put my camera bag inside my big hand bag or shoulder bag.
I read about tamron 18-270 and my dad uses it for his nikon. I also have a friend using it for his nikon, also highly recommended to me. Of course in terms of quality 70-200 F4 is great but this tamron will be good for travel and hiking.
70-200 f2.8 is too big for my 550D and too heavy for me. I don't have v big hands.

Well , still thinking and struggling

What camera bag are you using? The 550D with the 70-200 lens mounted can fit easily into the Canon Mini Messanger bag that comes together with the 550D.

But if i was only taking one lens out with me, i like to have it mounted on the cam already, so if i take 550d + 70-200 f4, i need a bigger cam bag to for it and i know this sounds v stupid but i still want to be able to fit in the cam bag inside the bag i am using , unless i am going on hiking , then i can use backpack.. i know it sounds stupid but you guys wont understand why we have such concerns :)

Actually, I really dont understand what truly your concerns are :dunno: Are u a female photog who hikes? When will you bring out this cam combo? During school/work hours?

actually... no one seems to have asked this... what is the use of the telezoom ?
and from approximately how far is the intended shooting distance ?

Why has no one considered the EF-s 55-250mm ?
Decent image quality, may be good enough for TS purposes. Cheap. Light. Small.
Range not enough, try a tamron 70-300mm as suggested by another forumer.
Image quality not good enough, try a 70-200mm f4 or f2.8.
Nuff said :p

Last edited:
What camera bag are you using? The 550D with the 70-200 lens mounted can fit easily into the Canon Mini Messanger bag that comes together with the 550D.

it is not a famous brand but it perfectly holds my 550D with 17-40 mounted, plus spare battery, memory card, lens cloth, lens cleansing pen. I tried to search the canon mini messenger bag on the internet but cant find it.

it is not a famous brand but it perfectly holds my 550D with 17-40 mounted, plus spare battery, memory card, lens cloth, lens cleansing pen. I tried to search the canon mini messenger bag on the internet but cant find it.

Actually, I really dont understand what truly your concerns are :dunno: Are u a female photog who hikes? When will you bring out this cam combo? During school/work hours?

well yes, i am female and would go hiking but then when i hike, i will use a backpack so that is not a problem. But i also like to walk around with my camera, then when i do that i want to have it in the camera bag which i could fit in the bag that i am carrying with. , yes i know my concern is quite ridiculus

actually... no one seems to have asked this... what is the use of the telezoom ?
and from approximately how far is the intended shooting distance ?

Why has no one considered the EF-s 55-250mm ?
Decent image quality, may be good enough for TS purposes. Cheap. Light. Small.
Range not enough, try a tamron 70-300mm as suggested by another forumer.
Image quality not good enough, try a 70-200mm f4 or f2.8.
Nuff said :p

yup, i am considering 70-200 f4. i like its image quality

It would appear that TS has the mind made up. Further discussion will probably not be helpful :p

i havent made up my mind yet as i am still struggling between quality and convenience, but thanks.

70-200 will leave you with a gap in focal range but it may not be a big deal. The 24-105 may be a better way to go since your other lens is the 17-40.

i havent made up my mind yet as i am still struggling between quality and convenience, but thanks.

TS… something have to give way, you are unlikely to have the best of everything, be it cost, image quality, convenience and even weight of the lens. And you'll have to decide which is more important and which is less… :think:

* EF 70-200mm f4 IS L = great IQ, some what lightweight (at least for me), high cost.

* EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS = above avg IQ, lightweight, low cost.

* Anything 18-XXX mm = avg-high IQ, midweight, mid-high cost, convenience.

But if i was only taking one lens out with me, i like to have it mounted on the cam already, so if i take 550d + 70-200 f4, i need a bigger cam bag to for it and i know this sounds v stupid but i still want to be able to fit in the cam bag inside the bag i am using , unless i am going on hiking , then i can use backpack.. i know it sounds stupid but you guys wont understand why we have such concerns :)

Yes, i think if i really get the 70-200, then i would consider getting a BG. Actually, i want to decide and get the lens soon as i worry canon will stop manufacturing and the price will just go up more.

i wonder if you are using those prime lenes yourself :) what body are u using?;)

It sounds like the limiting factor is your bag. If so, then bring the bag down the camera store and try it.

Also it appears you are looking for an all-in-one lens, which means one of the superzooms, not a telezoom.

You have to decide exactly what you want.
Of the telezooms recommended, the 70-200F4 is very good, worthy of its place.
Superzooms are not my thing - they lack the quality that I want. You can't be best at everything with one lens, so don't expect HQ.

The other alternative telezoom is the 70-300L which would have longer reach - useful. Someone also recommended the 55-250 - this is fine if you do not demand the best PQ.

Personally I hardly use the 70-200f4L. I'd rather shoot with primes, but that's me.

My recommendation are 16-35 f2.8 USM, 24-70 f2.8 USM & 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM. I'm also using 550D with grip and all the lens mentioned above.

The IQ for my 70-200mm is great! But weight is a killer, about 1.5kg.

My recommendation are 16-35 f2.8 USM, 24-70 f2.8 USM & 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM. I'm also using 550D with grip and all the lens mentioned above.

The IQ for my 70-200mm is great! But weight is a killer, about 1.5kg.

Wah, what you're mentioning is like the killer combo of Canon L lenses leh…very expensive combo and very heavy combo to carry out..imagine all at once :) I'm surprised you're not using a 5D with that combo…

But yes, i have used the 70-200 2.8 a few times….i don't own it but I agree the IQ is second to none but the weight for a walkabout lens just kills….bearing in mind the TS is female (not being sexist here), but maybe i'm a weak male :), carrying that lens for a trip to the zoo for example, is REALLY tiring…unless you ahve a tripod…but then again, that means you ahve to carry that + tripod and walk around…even worse...

carrying that lens for a trip to the zoo for example, is REALLY tiring

You gotta have some techniques for carrying such a heavy lens. First of all, I don't use neck strap because it's bad for my neck (duh :)) I also switch between the two hands often, and sometimes I cradle the entire lens, sometimes I grab the camera grip. I put the whole thing down on tables and chairs whenever I can. If all you do is leave the body + lens hanging from your neck all day, it will hurt.

Wah, what you're mentioning is like the killer combo of Canon L lenses leh…very expensive combo and very heavy combo to carry out..imagine all at once :) I'm surprised you're not using a 5D with that combo…

But yes, i have used the 70-200 2.8 a few times….i don't own it but I agree the IQ is second to none but the weight for a walkabout lens just kills….bearing in mind the TS is female (not being sexist here), but maybe i'm a weak male :), carrying that lens for a trip to the zoo for example, is REALLY tiring…unless you ahve a tripod…but then again, that means you ahve to carry that + tripod and walk around…even worse...

Monopod was invented for a reason.... so is BlackRapid style camera strap....

I use 100-400mm L at the Zoo.... Heavy, but the IQ is worth it.

Monopod was invented for a reason.... so is BlackRapid style camera strap....

I use 100-400mm L at the Zoo.... Heavy, but the IQ is worth it.

OT: Is it true that this lens is a dust sucker and will get dust on your sensor the more you use it?

So TS, ultimately is ur bag in bag issue. :) everyone has advised what are the possible lens you can buy and we can go on and on...till cows come home. I think you should resolve ur bag issue first which seems to be the ultimate challenge.

Don't understand why u insist in putting ur cam bag into ur bag...... Sometimes, u can't have the both of best worlds.

OT: Is it true that this lens is a dust sucker and will get dust on your sensor the more you use it?

The situation is not as bad as rumored… sooner or later, dust will get into the lens or onto the sensor…

Don't understand why u insist in putting ur cam bag into ur bag...... Sometimes, u can't have the both of best worlds.

TS goes hiking with the camera… don't think its safe or comfortable just hanging the camera on your neck or shoulder when hiking. :think:

But I agree… kind of strange to let the bag be one of the main deciding factor… :sweat: