Recommendations for a unique Light-stand?

fusionmkx

Jun 3, 2009
Hi all, I'm interested in purchasing several tripod/light/flash stands. I need them to be tall (~3m+), and rather sturdy (so it won't be knocked down accidentally by a strong gust of wind) and portable (collapsible tripods). They will be used for outdoor events to hold several slave flashes or light-umbrellas (so weight is not an issue), about ~500gm weight.

The problem is the height, I need ~3m+ tripods/stands, if the feet come with accessories (clawed etc.) to dig into soft ground (i.e Sand/soil), it would be even better.

Any recommendations?

Hi all, I'm interested in purchasing several tripod/light/flash stands. I need them to be tall (~3m+), and rather sturdy (so it won't be knocked down accidentally by a strong gust of wind) and portable (collapsible tripods). They will be used for outdoor events to hold several slave flashes or light-umbrellas (so weight is not an issue), about ~500gm weight.

The problem is the height, I need ~3m+ tripods/stands, if the feet come with accessories (clawed etc.) to dig into soft ground (i.e Sand/soil), it would be even better.

Any recommendations?

For what you need, your best bet will be Lowel Grand Light stand which reaches 3.1m. It doesn't come with claws, but you can buy their ground pins that and pin the stands to the ground. Problem is the Lowel stand is not that small when folded (around 1m and 3kg). But that is the only stand I know that is capable of reaching past 3m and have any sort of securing the legs into the ground via pins/claws.

And also, if you are using umbrella, it will be a problem also, because it will act like a small parachute, and will catch the wind and fly when a strong gust of wind blows suddenly. You might want to consider using some other kind of diffuser. And if I am you, I will also add sand bags on top of the pins just to be sure. Remember that the problem is not just toppling, but too much force on an extended stand so high can also cause some slight bending of the light stand and you will run into problems when retracting or extending the flash stand in the future.

You can see info on Lowel stands here... http://www.lowel.com/stands_poles.html

If you are looking for even taller light stands, you can look at Manfrotto's stacker or baby lightweight stands which hits over 3.5m... but you will have to find your own way to secure it to the ground. And you will also need to weigh it down.

Also check out Avenger stands to see if there are any solutions...

Last edited:
You may want to consider the old school method and prepare sandbags to put on the legs if you can't find ground pins.

If outdoor you can consider tent pegs also. Cheap and easy to install, every secure.
However, it takes time and you can't move the light stands after. If you need a more mobile solution I would suggest sandbags, put in the trunk of your car and set up when needed.

If we talk about Nikon, a SB-900 already 400g minimum. If you mount 3 of them say with a 40" umbrella, with a tri-flash (e.g. lastolite), it is not 500grams like you say.

You would maybe someday want a boom stick, then the light stand need to be even stronger with cantilever effect and the counter-weight.

You are right, the last thing you want is that the whole thing falling down with your expensive equipment.

If we talk about Nikon, a SB-900 already 400g minimum. If you mount 3 of them say with a 40" umbrella, with a tri-flash (e.g. lastolite), it is not 500grams like you say.

You would maybe someday want a boom stick, then the light stand need to be even stronger with cantilever effect and the counter-weight.

You are right, the last thing you want is that the whole thing falling down with your expensive equipment.

I think TS meant several stands, with a flash and umbrella on each stand.