Recommendations for a macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinker

Dec 31, 2004
Don't Tell You...
Hi,
Just got myself a 400D. Was previously using a F90x.
Looking for a macro lens. Open to suggestions. Immediate subject matters are my toys - I hope to be able to show their features. Am budget conscious. Do not mind 3rd party lens.
Any recommendations will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Sinker

yeah the canon's 100mm f/2.8.

there are a number of people wanting to sell thier lens in the buy&sell section.

Seen many such threads here in the past. You may want to do a search. For example the fact that the Tamron's front element extends while focusing has been mentioned multiple times.

But in summary, optically, true macro lenses are all excellent. The difference comes from auto focus speeds, focal lengths (roughly 3 ranges here : 60mm, 100mm and 180mm) and features such as internal focusing, etc.

Not knowing how big are your toys, I don't know which lens to recommend. But assuming something around the size of a matchbox, perhaps you may want to consider the EF-S 60mm. Many people tend to avoid that lens because "someday I may want to go FF". But it is a great focal length for a crop camera, very sharp optically, lighter and costs less than the 100mm. If your subject is fairly large (as macro subjects go) a 100mm will require you to back up further.

For photographing subjects like yours, lighting is very important. Google for DIY solutions or get a cheap light tent.

Edit : oh, don't forget a stable tripod too.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the input provided.
Time to go stalk the sale forum..

Personally I got the Canon 100mm F2.8. And it's very sharp though focusing is alittle slow.
Beside using it for macros you can use the 100mm for portraits too. Good bokeh.

Sample pic of my girl with the 100mm.. check out the details and the background bokeh.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2456546219_83256904ab_o.jpg

Sample pic of a lizard. My first shot with the 100mm.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2386998975_f2e637c725_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.