Recommendation on protecting the camera shooting in a sand storm?

Thanks for the link Rashkae!
Inspirational!
Can I do this with my tiny A33?
Haa!

you might wanna tape up the Microphone jacks and all other holes in the camera body. the A33 is not Weather and Dust proof. you need to take extra precautions

kei1309 said:
you might wanna tape up the Microphone jacks and all other holes in the camera body. the A33 is not Weather and Dust proof. you need to take extra precautions

Officially, neither are the a900 and cz2470. ;-)

If it is just sand being blown by the wind, I wouldn't bother doing anything extra to my gear. It will survive. In the worst case, I note that your equipment (besides the D2x) s fairly inexpensive. Replacement cost shouldn't be that great. I'm guessing only 1 dSLR and 1 lens will be exposed.

I honestly do not think plastic bags will offer any protection. If anything, it may hinder your usage of your camera. Of course, this is entirely up to your creativity. For all you know, you may end up creating a product cherished by many.

If it is a real sandstorm, please take care of yourself first. I wouldn't be thinking about my equipment.

Last edited:
I would also suggest getting spare filters in case you scratch them because of the sand storm. Next prepare to throw your gear away after the trip. Haha.

If it is just sand being blown by the wind, I wouldn't bother doing anything extra to my gear. It will survive. In the worst case, I note that your equipment (besides the D2x) s fairly inexpensive. Replacement cost shouldn't be that great. I'm guessing only 1 dSLR and 1 lens will be exposed.

I honestly do not think plastic bags will offer any protection. If anything, it may hinder your usage of your camera. Of course, this is entirely up to your creativity. For all you know, you may end up creating a product cherished by many.

If it is a real sandstorm, please take care of yourself first. I wouldn't be thinking about my equipment.

Thanks BlueShadow. I hope in June, the wind wouldn't be as bad as the one in March.

I would also suggest getting spare filters in case you scratch them because of the sand storm. Next prepare to throw your gear away after the trip. Haha.

Got it. I am going down to Cathayphoto to have a look at some filters. Thanks for the advice.