Recommendation of wide-angle zoom lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
For FF, the Sigma 12-24 is good, the CZ 16-35 and CZ 24-70 are heavenly.

For small sensors, the Sigma or Tamron or Sony 10-20/11-18 are good

u may consider the Tamron 17-35 F2.8-4 or Konica Minolta 17-35 F2.8-4 which are cheaper.

I used to use a KM 17-35mm then I tried the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, now I use my 16-105mm more often. For FF cam, you can try the Sony 16-35mm, KM 17-35mm or Sony 24-70.

I would like to have a recommendation of wide-angle zoom lenses for a FF body and small-sensor body for wedding shoots. Grateful for your thoughts pls. :)

Suggest that you don't use the 17-35mm for the 17mm end... the distortion is quite significant so is the light fall-off, especially when you use flash... you tend to stand nearer than you should for flash when you use the 17mm, even for APS-C sensors... and the light fall-off is hard to compensate in PP later...
I've been using the KM 17-35mm as the de-facto walkabout lens on my 7D and found that out the hard way...

Also the focusing is not very spot on for such a wide lens... for wedding photography, especially if you're looking at group shots, people like ultra-sharp photos... and the 17-35mm is hard to nail the focus spot on cos it's so wide...

It's easier to use a 24-135mm, 24-105mm or 24-70mm wide angle zoom. 24mm is really wide enough for a large group ~ 25 people... I use it all the time for class photos or group photos... it also makes you stand off at about the right distance (35mm is better) for flash so that the illumination is more even and the risk of serious hotspots (using bounced flash) lessens dramatically... the focus is also easier to nail spot on... plus the longer end of the 105mm or 135mm is really good such that you can get close-ups without swapping lenses... problem of course is that you won't get that those fabulous OOF close-ups lar... cos widest aperture is f/5.6 at those focal lengths...

Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking at fixed f/2.8 wide angle zooms, preferably Sony brand. Which are the ones that I should consider? Lazy to check out the specs, so asking all the experts here. ;p

16-35 Zeiss is the way to go...if you want full frame. The price is probably justifiable if you shoot full time. Else you could rent it if there is any provider. Otherwise the 17-35 f2.8-4 would be nice too.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking at fixed f/2.8 wide angle zooms, preferably Sony brand. Which are the ones that I should consider? Lazy to check out the specs, so asking all the experts here. ;p

There's only one f/2.8 wide angle zoom lens... the Carl Zeiss 16-35mm... S$2900... WOAH!!!

The best other option so far is the Minolta 17-35mm G f/3.5 which is rather hard to find now... it has significant less barrel distortion at 17mm compared to the KM 17-35mm f/2.8 - 4.

There's only one f/2.8 wide angle zoom lens... the Carl Zeiss 16-35mm... S$2900... WOAH!!!

The best other option so far is the Minolta 17-35mm G f/3.5 which is rather hard to find now... it has significant less barrel distortion at 17mm compared to the KM 17-35mm f/2.8 - 4.
Woah! You bought it right?

Woah! You bought it right?

No lar... didn't buy it... the last time I tried it I just started working lar... no money to pay $1500+ for the lens... one of the guys on CS brought the lens on one of our meet ups and I tried it... the lower distortion is very obvious through the Dynax 7 viewfinder lor... I would buy it now if I can find it actually... but it's so rare I hardly see it in Buy & Sell forum...

No lar... didn't buy it... the last time I tried it I just started working lar... no money to pay $1500+ for the lens... one of the guys on CS brought the lens on one of our meet ups and I tried it... the lower distortion is very obvious through the Dynax 7 viewfinder lor... I would buy it now if I can find it actually... but it's so rare I hardly see it in Buy & Sell forum...

Try ebay, B&H Photo or keh.com? I've bought 2nd hand lenses from them previously and quality is alright. Price cheaper than 2nd hand ones from Singapore too.

for APS-C small sensor, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a good choice for wide angle wedding shoot. Anything wider will made the distortion hard to handle (on person at edge of image shots).

Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 on full frame is really wide, which is like 11-23mm view on APS-S small sensor. Probably can consider CZ 24-70mm f/2.8, or cheaper Tamron/Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8.

Or just get Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 on full frame then crop accordingly to your need. Since the high resolution should suffice much cropping.

It's either the 16-35mm if you want constant f2.8 or the CZ16-80mm at the moment. Tamron 17-50mm would be a good choice since most Sony lenses are based on the Tamron version.

Approx 1850 in HK. Can fly there, buy lens, eat yummy dimsum, fly back, still save money. :)

Approx 1850 in HK. Can fly there, buy lens, eat yummy dimsum, fly back, still save money. :)

Serious lor... just to go HK to buy? I can always ask a friend... international warranty? Haiz... too ex lar... cannot justify the lens... my skills don't match the lens lar...

Serious lor... just to go HK to buy? I can always ask a friend... international warranty? Haiz... too ex lar... cannot justify the lens... my skills don't match the lens lar...

Invest in the lens first, then slowly upgrade your skills to match the lens? :bsmilie:

More motivation to improve yourself this way!

Invest in the lens first, then slowly upgrade your skills to match the lens? :bsmilie:

More motivation to improve yourself this way!

I'm finding the current KM 17-35mm f/2.8-4 quite adequate even for the A900... only issue is that I have't mastered hyperfocal yet (too lazy to bother) and so my wide landscapes aren't so tack sharp... I'm not sure how much sharper the CZ or Minolta G wide-angles would be over the KM and since I'm shooting stopped down at f/8 most often for this lens, the wider apertures aren't really useful... only the better glass and coating might make a difference... and even then, it might not be perceptible with a 19"x13" print... I usually print only A4... which makes all that sharpness difference moot I thought...

My only interest in the 24-70 f/2.8 is the shallow DOF and faster aperture for low light since it's a walkabout... although I have managed quite well with the 24-135 f/3.5-5.6...

So it's just wishful thinking for the Minolta 17-35mm G... I don't really need it lor... it's a hobby... I don't "tan chiak" like you leh... go shoot wedding... super stressful...:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.