Recommendation of P&S Digicam

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

Apr 8, 2002
collinyeo.blogspot.com
Budget around $500. Its for my sister who don't need any manual control. At least 3X optical zoom.

$500 is abit tough

but lets see

u could be looking at

NIKON 3700
CANON IXUS 30(abt $510)
PENTAX S40
KM DiMAGE Xt/Xg(not too sure)
CASIO Z30

still got panasonic fx2 - can probably get below 500 ...
or oly mini mju - got a friend who said she got hers for below 500 .. dunno from where =/

hmmm... maybe u just want to minimize ur scope for the search. i'll reccommand u looking into the canon digital ixus series... :thumbsup:

Canon ixus 30. Nice and compact, just nice for your sister. :bsmilie:

For a lady, the CANON IXUS 30 is good... :thumbsup:

Actually I'm not quite a fan of Li-on battery and charger. But please convince me if its actually better than NiMH?

should up your budget to ard 600. Then you can get the panasonic FZ5 or the fijifilm F10.

Both have some SPECIAL qualities that sets themselves apart from others.

the FZ5, has 12X zoom, great lens with image stab.

The fuji F10 has great ISO noise performance. a useable ISO800.

I think both these cameras are really great at that price point.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

hmm.... somemore managed to limit to Canon Ixus 30 and Fuji F10. The latter seems to be lots better for 100 bucks more.

Got a quote for Canon Ixus 30 for around $465 for both AP and MS Color. F10 should be around $550?

Just got another criteria. Unlimited video recording. Preferbly not in quicktime format.

Edit: Just found out another digicam thats not bad. The Sony DSC W5, at a price of $500.

hmm......

revenant said:
Just got another criteria. Unlimited video recording. Preferbly not in quicktime format.

If you really in need of unlimited video recording, then Canon products may not be for you since they only allow for up to 3 mins continuous recording each time.

CoolPix 4600!!!! With your budget can get even an additional 1GB SD card!

Took some shots with the CoolPix 4600 in Macro mode.

Sandisk 256MB SD
256sandisk.jpg

Macro - Bride Bear
bridefull.jpg

Macro - Bride Bear 100% Crop
bride100crop.jpg

Macro - Hotshoe Cover
hotshoe.jpg

Macro - E100VS Canister
100vs.jpg

hmm..... slightly revised criteria.

1) Using AA Batteries
2) At least 3X Optical Zoom
3) Unlimited Movie recording with Sound (Preferably not in quicktime format)
4) Compact
5) At least 3MP
6) Not more than $600

Good to have
- A bit of manual controls like setting aperture and shutter settings (Are we most likely limited to Canon Powershot A series here?)
- At least more than 3 seconds of min shutter so that can take nightshots reasonably good?

Thanks in advanced for you suggestions and recommendations :)

revenant said:
hmm..... slightly revised criteria.

1) Using AA Batteries
2) At least 3X Optical Zoom
3) Unlimited Movie recording with Sound (Preferably not in quicktime format)
4) Compact
5) At least 3MP
6) Not more than $600

Good to have
- A bit of manual controls like setting aperture and shutter settings (Are we most likely limited to Canon Powershot A series here?)
- At least more than 3 seconds of min shutter so that can take nightshots reasonably good?

Thanks in advanced for you suggestions and recommendations :)

Canon powershot series. New models like A510/A520 or older models like A85/A95. :bsmilie:

Yups yups...definitely recommend the canon A series.....Good cameras for the price........

But the A series don't have unlimited movie recording.. :bsmilie:

Wondering if theres such a that suits my criteria :dunno:

A pity that dpreview doesn't have option for AA batt in its search criteria.

i believe you might want to add in audio with video recording.. keke.. some record unlimited video.. but no audio. My PnS is such an example...

Your budet allows for quite a variety of cameras already. I would personally recommend Sony W1(or W5), Canon A series or Nikon 5600 for the following reasons.

Canon - User friendly, good auto WB and nice pic quality
Sony - fast start up, big screen
Nikon - Unlimited video mode, very basic point and shoot.

I've personally used all 3 cams before and I love the tones thrown out by Canon most.

My friend asked me to find a PnS with budget at $300.. how man..

yanyewkay said:
i believe you might want to add in audio with video recording.. keke.. some record unlimited video.. but no audio. My PnS is such an example...

Your budet allows for quite a variety of cameras already. I would personally recommend Sony W1(or W5), Canon A series or Nikon 5600 for the following reasons.

Canon - User friendly, good auto WB and nice pic quality
Sony - fast start up, big screen
Nikon - Unlimited video mode, very basic point and shoot.

I've personally used all 3 cams before and I love the tones thrown out by Canon most.

My friend asked me to find a PnS with budget at $300.. how man..

oh yeah movie recording with sound of course.

Though my budget allows quite a variety of cam but my criteria doesn't :bsmilie:

I think W5 is the cloest but does it have manual control?

P&S budget $300 I'd recommend the Canon Powershot A400.. Yes it's optical 2.2x zoom but the pictures turn out really nice.. Canon lens after all!

btw if you want movie recording with sound, only nikon coolpix 5600 has that... the 4600 doesn't... So sneaky right?

Status
Not open for further replies.