Recommendation For Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToRide

Jun 19, 2003
WEST
Visit site
Hi guys wanna buy a printer , thinking of epson or canon.
I walked around funan...theres so much variety.

1)I'm a student so on budget around $300.
2)Need to print a lot of school work in BnW
3) Might wanna print some photos i like in good quality to frame up.

Epson 830- $158
canon's i255-$120

r some of the few i saw.

pls recommend me a good printer.Thanks.

just bought a epson R210, nice photo quality printout. can comment on others as this is my 1st photo printer. bought at $270+

BornToRide said:
Hi guys wanna buy a printer , thinking of epson or canon.
I walked around funan...theres so much variety.

1)I'm a student so on budget around $300.
2)Need to print a lot of school work in BnW
3) Might wanna print some photos i like in good quality to frame up.

Epson 830- $158
canon's i255-$120

r some of the few i saw.

pls recommend me a good printer.Thanks.

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the R210 also. Just a few question. I understand that epson has a panorama paper. Can the R210 printed on this paper? And how is the quality on printed CD?

Thanks.

renegade said:
just bought a epson R210, nice photo quality printout. can comment on others as this is my 1st photo printer. bought at $270+

Epson photo 830...any comments?
Is the ink cartridge like canon's? Individual colours?

BornToRide said:
Epson photo 830...any comments?
Is the ink cartridge like canon's? Individual colours?

Hi,

Epson photo 830 use 5 in 1 cartridge (T027)

Cheers
Mondo

which ink cheaper?
canon's or epson?
i see the dpi range...canon seems to have higher value.

mmmmm.....any suggestions on wat else should i look out for?

renegade said:

Went to Epson Solutions Center, Funan. Enquired about the R210, seems to give good prints, 6 colors individual cartridge ... BUT ... the price of the cartridges, on the high side (for me), $20+/- for each color cartridge.

My opinion of a home printer - reasonably good prints, 4800x1400 or better. Consumables must not be too expensive as this is a recurring cost. Seems like most manufacturers sell the printer at an affordable price, but charge a lot for the consumables.

What about Canon, are their ink cartridges cheaper? Or third party ink, are they comparable to the originals in terms of color?

Thanks

Cartridge for the Canon i255, i455, i475, MP190 and MP370 costs only $10.90 for the black and $22.90 for the color. For me, the killer is the cost of the black ink... it's one which most people always use... so cheap black ink is a must for most home users...

Neo said:
Cartridge for the Canon i255, i455, i475, MP190 and MP370 costs only $10.90 for the black and $22.90 for the color. For me, the killer is the cost of the black ink... it's one which most people always use... so cheap black ink is a must for most home users...

Thanks for your response.

What is your opinion of third party inks? Are print colors comparable to the original ink?

Hi Nokin,

If you wanna go for the economical way, try using third-party paper instead of third-party ink. The ink is pretty tricky, and you may get ink leakage all over your printer if you're unlucky with non-original inks (yes... even if you're not using the syringe type). For papers, the worst thing that can happen is lousy prints... Anyway, the Canon original inks are inexpensive... so not much point going for non-original inks too.

The manufacturers will always tell you that the original papers are carefully matched for print longivity and colour matching. That's only true for top-grade photo papers. If you're using for proofs and not-so-important images, you might like to check out third-party papers by Mitsubishi or Konica etc. Or else, you can try out the more affordable range from the original manufacturer. When using third-party papers, colours will be slightly (or noticeably) different from using original.

nokin said:
Went to Epson Solutions Center, Funan. Enquired about the R210, seems to give good prints, 6 colors individual cartridge ... BUT ... the price of the cartridges, on the high side (for me), $20+/- for each color cartridge.

My opinion of a home printer - reasonably good prints, 4800x1400 or better. Consumables must not be too expensive as this is a recurring cost. Seems like most manufacturers sell the printer at an affordable price, but charge a lot for the consumables.

What about Canon, are their ink cartridges cheaper? Or third party ink, are they comparable to the originals in terms of color?

Thanks

Drop by at Inknovation in Funan #05-41, a specialty shop selling nothing but inkjet related savings solution to find-out more about the third party-inks vs OEM, cost and print quality comparison on various photo paper, to help you make an informed decision before buying the printer, using the 3rd party ink, and 3rd party paper. See the real print-out for comparison.

Lazarus & Neo,

Thank you both for the advise and recommendations. Will certainly take in considerations when buying a new printer. My Lexmark just conked out on me.

Am considering the Epson R210, as for Canon don't know which is a moderately priced economical model for home use.

Neo, I guess you're right about using 3rd party paper rather than 3rd party ink. My printing needs are just proof prints of photos I shoot. As it's not professional use I think I'll take your advise.

Thanks again

Can we bring our photos to the service centers for A4 test prints ? I'm thinking of testing the equivalent prints from both Canon and Epson from the same picture to see which one is better. Funan has both Canon and Epson showrooms right ?

AdamGoi said:
Hi you may wanna consider Canon's i865; it retails @ about S$299. The print speed is fast (particularly for text-based) and it has reasonable photo quality.

Have thought of Canon, went to Canon's Showroom at Funan on the same day as I went to Epson.

Maybe it's my feeling, but I was hoping that my skin is "white". Those guys there seem to be able to see "ang mohs" only. Had to look around at the printers myself but was unable to decide as did not had any info about the printers. Left after 15mins, still as blur as before I went in.

Adam - thanks for your recommendation, will certainly consider.

save the photos and print them at a photo shop instead. it very effectively cuts down unnecessary spending via premium paper and ink. :)

sehsuan said:
save the photos and print them at a photo shop instead. it very effectively cuts down unnecessary spending via premium paper and ink. :)

Problem is that I like my prints to be in A4 size. I think home printing is more economical for that size.

Thanks anyway. sehsuan. and I like your pics. :thumbsup:

thank you nokin :D

but frankly, this is my perception, but only sending in for photo shops to print, can get closer graduation of colours compared to inkjet printers. those big machines seem to give a more continuous tone kind of output, compare to inkjets, no matter how good, are still gonna produce dotty pictures, unless someone can show me a print to help inform this swakoo who hasn't seen enough printer prints for a long time already (read: me lor, who else? :D ) this is purely a personal view, and i may be waaay off the mark.

sehsuan said:
but frankly, this is my perception, but only sending in for photo shops to print, can get closer graduation of colours compared to inkjet printers. those big machines seem to give a more continuous tone kind of output, compare to inkjets, no matter how good, are still gonna produce dotty pictures,

Agree whole heartedly, for keepers I get them printed by photo shops.

Too bad, can only afford 4R size. :(

Hi ,born to ride ,wat camera r u using ?

how old r u ?

Status
Not open for further replies.