Recommendation for PC specs for RAW editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me. I'm using it. But don't try it unless you really have more than 3 GB of RAM: the driver support is really bad. Anyway, my photo processing rig is:

C2D e6600 @ 3.6GHz (50% OC), 320GB SATAII HDD, GeForce 7300LE, Asus P5K (P35) board, 2GB Kingston PC800 RAM.

The whole setup was put together for about $1200, minus monitor. Despite having only 2GB of ram, Photoshop CS2 + Lightroom fly even when run simultaneously (and working with RAWs). SpitFir3 definitely got that right. :)

EDIT:
My advise: Your processor's L2 Cache should be greater than or equal to 4MB. Don't be tempted to get the E4XXX series Core 2 Duos. They're not worth it. (and neither are Netburst architecture processors)

Yes. CPU efficiency is the most important thing. Currently, clock for clock, C2D is the best.
When doing batch coversion of RAW, the CPU is hit the hardest. Open up the task manager, you will see 100% on single core or 50% each of the Dual core.

Is the cache really important? Running a E6300@3GHz. CS3 is fast, tot of getting a E6600 so that I can clock higher. Currently limited to 400Mhz FSB by motherboard.

Cache is mainly for batch processing, when the processor needs to switch between tasks quickly.

I don't think prof ppl will do that. They need a workstation that performance consistently and cool-and-quiet.

OverClock means stressing your processor and your processor will get shorter lifetime (maybe less than a year) and you will lose your warranty.

AMD processor is the most cost/performance efficiency now. Get a Athon64X2 6000+. It cost much lesser and with comparable performance. Save the money for more memory (2Gig+) and larger LCD (24 Inch Dell HC LCD?)

Yes. CPU efficiency is the most important thing. Currently, clock for clock, C2D is the best.
When doing batch coversion of RAW, the CPU is hit the hardest. Open up the task manager, you will see 100% on single core or 50% each of the Dual core.

Is the cache really important? Running a E6300@3GHz. CS3 is fast, tot of getting a E6600 so that I can clock higher. Currently limited to 400Mhz FSB by motherboard.

Perhaps another concern is the motherboard.. I saw many of my customer using super cheap PC.. the performance of the motherboards are really poor.. ie those below S$100 MB, SIS chipset, etc..

Better to buy a better OEM board if you want good performance.. I do suggest around the range of Gigabyte LGA775 GA-865P-DS3 at approx the price of $180 to $200plus

Combined with a C2D and at least 2GB of RAM and SATA II HDD

I don't think prof ppl will do that. They need a workstation that performance consistently and cool-and-quiet.

OverClock means stressing your processor and your processor will get shorter lifetime (maybe less than a year) and you will lose your warranty.

AMD processor is the most cost/performance efficiency now. Get a Athon64X2 6000+. It cost much lesser and with comparable performance. Save the money for more memory (2Gig+) and larger LCD (24 Inch Dell HC LCD?)

no sure about today technology....i have run an OCed AMD Duron 650 to reach 1GHz w/o problem or BSOD etc for 6 yrs ...

The thing about OCing.. is Stability and Heat! If you managed to OC it to run smoothly and able to cut down the heat to acceptable range, it should still last pretty long.. Otherwise, the chip usually burns out in around 6mths to 1.5 year :bsmilie:

Looks like quite a few overclockers here....:D

Anyway, overclock or not overclock.. a processor upgrade would be $$$ well spent for this issue.

Looks like quite a few overclockers here....:D

Anyway, overclock or not overclock.. a processor upgrade would be $$$ well spent for this issue.

I believe its alright to overclock but not too extreme, maybe a limit say 20% would be good? The C2Ds nowadays generally runs cool. Been using my X6800 with no overclocking and still satisfied with the performance. Regarding the mainboard, dun be stingey on getting a good one, makes noticable difference. Spend some cash to get more ram, if you've got good budget, get the high speed ones (eg XMS2-8500C5), it does make a difference. Hope this helps :)

Me. I'm using it. But don't try it unless you really have more than 3 GB of RAM: the driver support is really bad. Anyway, my photo processing rig is:

C2D e6600 @ 3.6GHz (50% OC), 320GB SATAII HDD, GeForce 7300LE, Asus P5K (P35) board, 2GB Kingston PC800 RAM.

The whole setup was put together for about $1200, minus monitor. Despite having only 2GB of ram, Photoshop CS2 + Lightroom fly even when run simultaneously (and working with RAWs). SpitFir3 definitely got that right. :)

EDIT:
My advise: Your processor's L2 Cache should be greater than or equal to 4MB. Don't be tempted to get the E4XXX series Core 2 Duos. They're not worth it. (and neither are Netburst architecture processors)

Normally most of the drivers are available with the OS itself right ? Which drivers or softwares do you face problems ?

Normally most of the drivers are available with the OS itself right ? Which drivers or softwares do you face problems ?

OS usually only comes with the common or popular drivers for printers, graphic cards, sound card, etc.. many motherboards, specific brands of cards may face issues with Vista.

But luckily most of the new motherboards now include a cd for win 98 to win XP plus an additional cd for vista itself. ;p

Naturally all those who are on older hardware may face issues with Vista. Even for some people who bought new PC and printer together may need to take the extra trouble to download the vista driver for the printer because it was not included and Vista do not have the built in drivers. Happened to quite a few of my customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.