Recommendation for PC specs for RAW editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a graphic card for my AMD 64 X 2 3800+ system.
Any recommandation?

Get a Intel Core 2 E4300 / E6350 and overclock it to the max.
2GB RAM should be enough.

Getz10, wats your budget? without budget, I would think 8800GTS w/ 320MB RAM would be good.

Get a Intel Core 2 E4300 / E6350 and overclock it to the max.
2GB RAM should be enough.

Getz10, wats your budget? without budget, I would think 8800GTS w/ 320MB RAM would be good.

Overclocking for processing 2D graphics? Are you out of your mind?

Overclock the CPU leh...not the GPU.
Higher CPU speed will improve the processing time for RAW manipulations

I know what you were talking about. Still over kill. For gamers, definitely a way to go, but for photoshops or image processing, you really don't need to.

I know what you were talking about. Still over kill. For gamers, definitely a way to go, but for photoshops or image processing, you really don't need to.

disagree . the difference is quite significant if u throw it a huge workload. like opening 500 raw at once... the overclocked cpu can shave many seconds off the loading time

disagree . the difference is quite significant if u throw it a huge workload. like opening 500 raw at once... the overclocked cpu can shave many seconds off the loading time

why do you want to open 500 RAW file at a time? If you load 500 RAW file, your system will hang because of all other limitations.

Overclocking the CPU is sexy.

If you want to overclock your cpu, please make sure all other components in the system is not dragging the performance down. What kind of RAM are you using? Do you have sufficient RAM? Do you have a dedicated HDD for the scratch files? Do you have sufficient cooling? Your system is only as fast as the slowest link.

What you need is a system that is balanced. You need a system that is fully tested, and continually maintained. Overclocking the system is a way to increase performance, but at what cost and efforts? By overclocking the cpu, for example, you cut cost on the cpu, but you need to spend more money on cooling, your chip is more likely to fail and you have decreaed the life span of the microchip.

At the end of the day, you are recommending to a novice, to do a diy overclocking ops. BAD IDEA.

why do you want to open 500 RAW file at a time? If you load 500 RAW file, your system will hang because of all other limitations.

Overclocking the CPU is sexy.

If you want to overclock your cpu, please make sure all other components in the system is not dragging the performance down. What kind of RAM are you using? Do you have sufficient RAM? Do you have a dedicated HDD for the scratch files? Do you have sufficient cooling? Your system is only as fast as the slowest link.

What you need is a system that is balanced. You need a system that is fully tested, and continually maintained. Overclocking the system is a way to increase performance, but at what cost and efforts? By overclocking the cpu, for example, you cut cost on the cpu, but you need to spend more money on cooling, your chip is more likely to fail and you have decreaed the life span of the microchip.

At the end of the day, you are recommending to a novice, to do a diy overclocking ops. BAD IDEA.

I shoot only on RAW and from my experience dealing with RAW images, once the image is loaded in bibble or captureNX and you start adjusting, cpu utilisation will spike to 100%.
Assuming you have 2GB ram at least and normal SATA HDDs, changing to a faster CPU will greatly decrease the time needed to do manipulations. Just imagine you gotta batch convert 500 raw images, 1 image save you 5 seconds, 500 images is 40mins saved.

Don't think overclocking is sexy, it's just pushing the limits of whatever you have.

Yes, Overclocking is only for people that knows how to do it. It can be done with minimum effort on most of the latest motherboards and CPUs. Things have become quite simple these few years. I'm not talking abt extreme overclocking here. Just an increase of FSB from 266 to 350 on a Core2 cpu can yield you extremely good results. As for lifespan, how long do you expect a CPU to last? 3 years? 4 years? Technology is going so fast that in 2 years time, you would be thinking of changing it already.

Everybody starts from novice, there are so many resources on the net. just need to google and you can get the steps to do it.

I shoot only on RAW and from my experience dealing with RAW images, once the image is loaded in bibble or captureNX and you start adjusting, cpu utilisation will spike to 100%.
Assuming you have 2GB ram at least and normal SATA HDDs, changing to a faster CPU will greatly decrease the time needed to do manipulations. Just imagine you gotta batch convert 500 raw images, 1 image save you 5 seconds, 500 images is 40mins saved.

Don't think overclocking is sexy, it's just pushing the limits of whatever you have.

Yes, Overclocking is only for people that knows how to do it. It can be done with minimum effort on most of the latest motherboards and CPUs. Things have become quite simple these few years. I'm not talking abt extreme overclocking here. Just an increase of FSB from 266 to 350 on a Core2 cpu can yield you extremely good results. As for lifespan, how long do you expect a CPU to last? 3 years? 4 years? Technology is going so fast that in 2 years time, you would be thinking of changing it already.

Everybody starts from novice, there are so many resources on the net. just need to google and you can get the steps to do it.

Marjority of the mother board out od SLS is not a good idea for overclocking, same applies to most the the OEM lower end boards.

As you had said it yourself, faster HDD, dedicated scratch disk, and don't forget, more RAMs and faster RAMs, faster motherboard, all set at stock settings, should do the trick. I personally not a fan to overclocking, as I feel it destabliszes the system/components and will cause more problems in the future.

Novice in IT. Of course. I am talking from the stnd point of a photogrpaher. If so happen, said photogrpaher is an IT expert so be it, push teh pc to the max. However that is one assumption that is not the norm. For majority of the photographer, the pc is just another tool. Do you disassemble your digital camera to tweak it?

Marjority of the mother board out od SLS is not a good idea for overclocking, same applies to most the the OEM lower end boards.

As you had said it yourself, faster HDD, dedicated scratch disk, and don't forget, more RAMs and faster RAMs, faster motherboard, all set at stock settings, should do the trick. I personally not a fan to overclocking, as I feel it destabliszes the system/components and will cause more problems in the future.

Novice in IT. Of course. I am talking from the stnd point of a photogrpaher. If so happen, said photogrpaher is an IT expert so be it, push teh pc to the max. However that is one assumption that is not the norm. For majority of the photographer, the pc is just another tool. Do you disassemble your digital camera to tweak it?

Agreed that OEMS are not for overclocking. But the rest of the SLS boards, maybe 80% of them can be overclocked somewhat. Especially the Intel chipset boards and Core CPUs.

Wat I meant on the HDD and RAMs are assuming they are constant, an overclocked cpu will give you much better performance returns then upgrading the CPU or RAM.

I respect your take on not overclocking your pc there. Just providing the thread starter an alternative solution. Anyway, to overclock or not to overclock, It's also important to get components with good track records.

Hehehe...If there is a way to overclock my camera or change my D200 CCD to the S5Pro one, I surely attempt it.

Anyway, we have gone 2 pages and threadstarter still have not reponded to this thread. Can't tell if he's a novice and whats his budget.

Agreed that OEMS are not for overclocking. But the rest of the SLS boards, maybe 80% of them can be overclocked somewhat. Especially the Intel chipset boards and Core CPUs.

Wat I meant on the HDD and RAMs are assuming they are constant, an overclocked cpu will give you much better performance returns then upgrading the CPU or RAM.

I respect your take on not overclocking your pc there. Just providing the thread starter an alternative solution. Anyway, to overclock or not to overclock, It's also important to get components with good track records.

Hehehe...If there is a way to overclock my camera or change my D200 CCD to the S5Pro one, I surely attempt it.

Anyway, we have gone 2 pages and threadstarter still have not reponded to this thread. Can't tell if he's a novice and whats his budget.

Wonder where TS had gone? MIA?

Now if you can find a way to overclocked the camera, I think you will be a very popular guy!

Anyone using Windows Vista 64-bit ?

Hi, I am also trying to get a PC myself and RAW editing is important for me too. I wonder if a duo core 1.8GHz machine is really on par with a 3.6GHz machine? How do they calculate the speed anyway? :think:

Hi, I am also trying to get a PC myself and RAW editing is important for me too. I wonder if a duo core 1.8GHz machine is really on par with a 3.6GHz machine? How do they calculate the speed anyway? :think:

Well you can try over here and see how it compares.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=166965

It give you a general idea of hardware of today against those of yesterday.

Any recommanded graphic card wif budget of $200?
My setup is Vista wif AMD 64 X 2 3800+, would be adding to 2g ram soon.

Photoshop don't rely too heavily on Graphic Card.. for nVidia get the better version like GT or GS should be good enough.. For low budget, I suggest 7600GT, if you want a higher end, get 8600GT.

I'm using Core2Duo 1.86, 2GB RAM and 7300GT.. works fine :) Don't get the LE, it's really super low performance.

Agree. U need lots of RAMs for photo editing. U dont need super high-end computer to do editing. A stable system will do. High capacity of hard disk space is needed if intend to store lots of image. Good monitor if u want to have accurate colours.

Anyone using Windows Vista 64-bit ?

Me. I'm using it. But don't try it unless you really have more than 3 GB of RAM: the driver support is really bad. Anyway, my photo processing rig is:

C2D e6600 @ 3.6GHz (50% OC), 320GB SATAII HDD, GeForce 7300LE, Asus P5K (P35) board, 2GB Kingston PC800 RAM.

The whole setup was put together for about $1200, minus monitor. Despite having only 2GB of ram, Photoshop CS2 + Lightroom fly even when run simultaneously (and working with RAWs). SpitFir3 definitely got that right. :)

EDIT:
My advise: Your processor's L2 Cache should be greater than or equal to 4MB. Don't be tempted to get the E4XXX series Core 2 Duos. They're not worth it. (and neither are Netburst architecture processors)

Status
Not open for further replies.