Recommendation for close-up filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

skermish

Jun 15, 2004
Thinking of getting close-up filters for better macro photography. Any recommendations for brand? I am looking for 30mm ones to fit onto my adaptor. Heard people recommending double element filters which are better quality.

Anyone can give me some recommendations for the better brands and perhaps the approx price range for the different brands?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would recommant extension tube,although with some light loss but no glass is involve so so quality degrade.

Yup, I am using compact digital cam.....not SLR so cant use extension tube. Wanna take better macro and I guess using close-up filters is both simple and can serve the purpose to some extent.

Any suggestions?

skermish said:
Thinking of getting close-up filters for better macro photography. Any recommendations for brand? I am looking for 30mm ones to fit onto my adaptor. Heard people recommending double element filters which are better quality.

Anyone can give me some recommendations for the better brands and perhaps the approx price range for the different brands?

Thanks in advance! :)

The easier brand to get with good quality and not that expensive should be Hoya. Get a +4 macro should be enough. The other magnifications are usually +1, +2, +10. You can combine a couple of them to use together but will get more loss in picture quality.

Most shops dun keep such sizes, so you may need to place an order with the shop.

Just a question. Read that +4 close-up will result in a fixed focusing distance of approx 25cm. Is that correct? Which one will result in higher magnification? Focusing at 25cm with a +4 close-up filter and zooming in 3x versus using the digicam built-in macro mode to focus at 5cm?

skermish said:
Just a question. Read that +4 close-up will result in a fixed focusing distance of approx 25cm. Is that correct? Which one will result in higher magnification? Focusing at 25cm with a +4 close-up filter and zooming in 3x versus using the digicam built-in macro mode to focus at 5cm?

Mmm.. I'm not quite sure if I got your question correctly or not. Focusing distance should be dependent on your lens (or camera) in your case. The use of a macro filter is to increase the magnification of what you will normally get on your lens.

Let's say that if your camera focusing distance is 5cm and you have zoom out to 3x already; using the filter can furthur magnify the subj. Thus the subj will look bigger than w/o the filter. Some cameras may have some problem focusing correctly at this distance.

The other use of the macro filter is to help you achieve the same subj size but at a further focusing distance compared to the distance you can normally get.

Can't be really that sure if the above type is 100% correct but it's what I get for using a +4 on my prosumer. ;p

skermish said:

Using +4 closeup filter does not fix the focusing distance. It makes the focusing distance 25cm (measured from the close up filter to the subject)when the lens is set to focus at infinity. In other words, it limits the max focus distance to 25cm.

The final magnification is hard to estimate as it depends also on the distance between the closeup filter and your camera lens, which is determined by the adapter ring you use as well as your zoom setting (I presume your camera lens will move further out of the camera body as you zoom in).

If you camera already has macro/closeup capability down to 5cm I don't think a closeup filter can provide much benefit.

Hmmm.. so the general advice is that adding close-up filters will not help much if my digicam can support macro mode (can focus at 5 cm with zoom at widest angle)?

Great....then I guess I shall save the money..... thanks so much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.