Recommendation for Camera Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

star89

Jul 21, 2009
CCK
I am a beginner and looking for a compact bag for my Nikon D90 lens attached, and extra lens only. I may need some space to put extra battery, charger. Any recommendation?

i recommend belt or backpack.. don't quite like sling bag.. Too taxing for 1 side of the shoulder if have many stuff to carry.

any grip? check out Think Tank...Speed Freak-belt. backpack i think lowe pro and Think Tank got a few...

i don't really like shoulder if yout gears are heavy.cause u will do the change shoulder drill more often then holding the camera and shooting

I like my tamrac velocity 8x (and I upgraded to 9x in anticipation for 70-200). I get an extra lens pouch which I can hook it to the side of my bag when travelling around. Then hook it to my belt (normal one) when I'm shooting. So when I need to change lens, I swing my bag round, detach the lens and put it into the pouch, then take out another lens and attach it to the cam.

Last edited:
I like my tamrac velocity 8x (and I upgraded to 9x in anticipation for 70-200). I get an extra lens pouch which I can hook it to the side of my bag when travelling around. Then hook it to my belt (normal one) when I'm shooting. So when I need to change lens, I swing my bag round, detach the lens and put it into the pouch, then take out another lens and attach it to the cam.

How much is it? Where to get it?

You don't seem to have much stuff currently(no offence), so getting a backpack might seem like a little overkill for now. You may want to look at the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200AW or the Rezo 190AW which can be had for quite cheap now if you get the Nikon one.

K-13. at penisular
Oh, about backpack. I also have Tamrac expedition 7. Backpack is only useful for traveling from place to place. They are a pain in the ass even if you have lots of equipment to carry, when you are actually taking pictures.
Even velocity, which is slingshot design which allows you to swing your bag to the front to access your equipment is a pain in the ass when it comes to filters (not lens), since you tend to add and remove then much more freq then lens. So went to get filter pouch which again, can hook to the side when travelling, then place it on my belt when I'm shooting.
My 2 cents worth...

...and if u dun mind being notified as a "war" photographer, try the tamrac belt system, water proof, good shock proof, lens easy to access and increase your mobility.. balance weight of both ur shoulders and waist..

I'm currently able to carry a D90 with a Tamron 18-270 and Phottix Vert Grip attached, a 50mm 1.8, a Nikon SB600 with diffuser attached, a bounce card, lens wipe and a blower.

All the above I fit into a red Crumpler 5 million dollar home. Its pretty tight and snug, but just about workable.

Star89: If you not particular, I could sell this bag to you cheap! Well used, but not torn or worn.

Actually thinking of upgrading to bigger size bag. What do you guys think of Kata? I saw a few samples at OP. Quite good leh.

The billingham looks damn good also...but so ex. Ha!

kata not that cheap as well =)
but which model are you referring to?

I'm currently able to carry a D90 with a Tamron 18-270 and Phottix Vert Grip attached, a 50mm 1.8, a Nikon SB600 with diffuser attached, a bounce card, lens wipe and a blower.

All the above I fit into a red Crumpler 5 million dollar home. Its pretty tight and snug, but just about workable.

Star89: If you not particular, I could sell this bag to you cheap! Well used, but not torn or worn.

Actually thinking of upgrading to bigger size bag. What do you guys think of Kata? I saw a few samples at OP. Quite good leh.

The billingham looks damn good also...but so ex. Ha!

I was using a sling bag, finding it too clumsy cos it tends to swing around when shooting, find it irritating.

Just gotten the KATA DT213 opn Sunday at OP for about $140, it is a backpack, but can swing it to the front when needing to change lens. the material of this bag is good. The bag can fit my E520 with ZD12-60mm fitted, store my additional ZD70-300mm, Sigma 30mm, Fl-36R flash, CPL & ND4 filters. This bag really suited my liking.

Currently, i am looking for a camera Bag too. Just sharing what we have seen. Beside lowePro and vanguard, we also notice a brand called CaseLogic.

Some Pro pts we notice about CaseLogic, it seems to be lighter and less traditional / hardy-looking camera bag. (take note, the bag is for my wife, she does grumble about the looks of the traditional bag).

The camera compartment is top loaded, a bit different from the rest.

go down to TK photo and havea look, many bags to "fondle" :p

my pref is, domke, thinktank and tamrac

to my bags are like fashion too, diff ppl different style :p

i'm also hunting for a bag at the moment. The street walker pro from think tank caught my eye. But at the end of the day, shooting with shoulder bags will be the fastest. And such, I have been poisoned after looking at billingham's hadley pro. The best shoulder bag i've seen yet.

But then again, backpacks can put more stuff. Only thing is too mah fan when you want to be more mobile and quick with lens changing and capturing moments

i'm also hunting for a bag at the moment. The street walker pro from think tank caught my eye. But at the end of the day, shooting with shoulder bags will be the fastest. And such, I have been poisoned after looking at billingham's hadley pro. The best shoulder bag i've seen yet.

But then again, backpacks can put more stuff. Only thing is too mah fan when you want to be more mobile and quick with lens changing and capturing moments

My KATA DT213 is a single-strap backpack, therefore can be swing to the front when u need to change lens.

I was considering the Tamrac Velocity range as well last Sunday in OP, then a German pro-photographer overheard my dilemma on choice and he suggest I get the KATA. He said although it is more pricey, but the built quality is best. He said he is using 1 of the similar for 3 - 5 years liao and not considering any change yet.

I am a beginner and looking for a compact bag for my Nikon D90 lens attached, and extra lens only. I may need some space to put extra battery, charger. Any recommendation?

Going directly to the point, since you are carrying very minimal gear, a simple shoulder bag with some space would do.

If you are one for carrying your gear around in style, I'm afraid you are going to have to look for a costly solution, such as the low-end costly solutions like Crumpler, to more costly solutions like Domke or Billingham, whichever piques your tastes.

If you are not fussy, a simple Lowepro shoulder bag with small amounts of space would do. Honestly, most people don't bring their chargers out on daily shoots. The only time you'd pack your camera charger is on a trip or camp, and even then, I usually pack it in my luggage, with my cell phone charger.

Still considering myself as a beginner, i would definitely not recommend small bags to anyone even though the equipment is still little. Carrying only minimal equipment is one thing. However, lenses and accessories tend to increase steadily. Moreover, The ability of the bag to carry misc items like water bottle and documents (which small bags lack) is actually very crucial to a better shooting session and travelling.

I am looking for a bag too. Had my eyes on 6 million dollar bag, but now looking for any other options? Any good fashionable bag on par with 6 million dollar bag in terms of size and type?

I am looking for a bag too. Had my eyes on 6 million dollar bag, but now looking for any other options? Any good fashionable bag on par with 6 million dollar bag in terms of size and type?

Fashionable is subjective. I suppose you are quite a young, outgoing person? Crumpler would most like be the best bet already. Most other bags will look dull in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.