Recommendation for 50mm prime lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to break the bad news, but I think the FA50mm f1.4 has just been bumped up in price again? Latest price reported was $520, and I checked Adorama and B&H, about the same after conversion.... Not sure if anyone can help confirm if all the shops are selling at this price now...

Hmm, must be all the new Pentax users pushing up demand for a prime lens to their new K-7 and K-x cameras. Those sitting on the fence for the FA 50mm f/1.4 better be quick to act or prepare to be :bheart:

Hate to break the bad news, but I think the FA50mm f1.4 has just been bumped up in price again? Latest price reported was $520, and I checked Adorama and B&H, about the same after conversion.... Not sure if anyone can help confirm if all the shops are selling at this price now...

oh dear.. i thought it was less a few years ago when i got mine.. like. a lot less.

Yup, I remember when it was just over $300 (or was it just under?) a couple of years ago, then the price hike brought it to just under $400, and now suddenly it's just over $500. :cry: Luckily I've decided way back that this is not a lens I need to have.

Well, it's still a very good fast 50mm, but I think it's definitely becoming difficult to boast that we have the most affordable modern fast 50 across the brands.

Yea I agree with Feng Wei that only the 50/1.2 is worth to keep, the rest are just CRAP =P.

I think next time we make a thread about the which SLR to keep :devil:

When people from other brands used to ask why Pentax doesn't offer a <$200 50mm f/1.8 with autofocus, I used to say why bother when the 50mm f/1.4 is so cheap.
Now...

When people from other brands used to ask why Pentax doesn't offer a <$200 50mm f/1.8 with autofocus, I used to say why bother when the 50mm f/1.4 is so cheap.
Now...

Just when i thought can scrape enough to get a prime 50/1.4 - the price shoot up by 100+. Think i'll stick with 2nd hand lenses for now. Not like my photography skills is super duper. ;p

I told my friend early that pentax lenses are the most reasonable of all the brands, now i have to stuff my foot in mouth lor. :sweat:

Just when i thought can scrape enough to get a prime 50/1.4 - the price shoot up by 100+. Think i'll stick with 2nd hand lenses for now. Not like my photography skills is super duper. ;p

I told my friend early that pentax lenses are the most reasonable of all the brands, now i have to stuff my foot in mouth lor. :sweat:
No longer true le, especially for modern first hand lenses. That's the direction when a brand grows in popularity.

well, there is always third party when all else fails.. ;)

I know... tamron 70-300 with scary purple tint.

:bsmilie:

well, it doesn't show up all the time..

2891028132_c315309772.jpg

3070979084_15daff5254.jpg

3369841857_7f0b9710ac.jpg

3190891291_0cbabe3e16.jpg

purple fringing isn't limited to third party lenses only

Beautiful shots. Are they from your tamron?

Frankly speaking, I quite like the purple fringing effect. LOL.... I'm weird in that aspect. :D

Beautiful shots. Are they from your tamron?

Frankly speaking, I quite like the purple fringing effect. LOL.... I'm weird in that aspect. :D

all with the 70-300, which many people here in clubsnap (since it is available in many mounts) "won't touch".. i think it's fine stopped down between 70-200mm.. beyond that, i'll be fair, it stinks sometimes.

well.. i could show you that cat photo again where it sticks out like a sore thumb :)

I remembered getting mine at about $280 or so a year back . . .
I sold my FA50/1.4 a few months back for less than what the current price for preowned set. Especially mine was made in Japan (not assembled in Vietnam) and was original owner.

I sold it after acquired A50/1.4 because I like the feel of the manual focus. Later when I was in Japan, saw the price of mint A50/1.2 which cannot resist.

Just went down to OP to check for 2nd hand k10d.... price for body is pretty decent. If any pentaxian here wants to let go of a k10, please let me know. :)

Main point of this post is... Prices quoted by the lady behind the counter for lenses have all increased. She cites high demand, lack of materials as main reasons for this.

DA Limited edition (black) for 31/1.8 - $1480, 43/1.9 = $930, and 50/1.4 - $530.

Not enough $$$ to grab all at the moment. It's like getting a decent body seems to be the easy part of the equation now. :bsmilie:

high demand is good. especially i just watched the movie 2012.

high demand is good. especially i just watched the movie 2012.

LOL... I'm just waiting for people to get bored with their toys like most children do. Can grab everything at half the price or less but still there are some toys which will always be treasured. The cream of the crop. Everybody should get some toys like that. ;)

What's with 2012? If the end is coming - I should splurge on all the latest gears and shoot until I go nuts. On credit card of course... lol, but what if it doesn't end? :sweat:

Hey Seb, just be a robber, you can get watever lense you want without any concern over price.

Status
Not open for further replies.