Recommend a cheapo 77mm CPL filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabako

Nov 25, 2005
I need a cheap CPL filter to learn how to shoot with it.

Can recommend a relatively ok quality one that is reasonably priced? Budget about $50.

I saw in mass sale, screw in 77mm Tianya CPL filter only costs $35, but read also that QC is very bad.

The price guide, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263716, also has Hoya 77mm CPL at $70 and Tokina 77mm CPL at $45, but I don't know how updated is the price.

Tokina is ok. But you should better increase the budget. Replacing a 10 bucks UV is easier than a 50 bucks CPL. So better get a good one right from the start.

Same... if you can afford an expensive 77mm lens, why not save a little more to get a better CPL? Yes, at least a Tokina.

Go to B&S section to look for a second hand B+W MRC UV filter. Quality should be good and as long as you check carefully, 2nd hand filter is really not a problem. You get quality filter at a much lower price...

And when you decide to sell on, you might not lose any money on it...

Tokina is ok. But you should better increase the budget. Replacing a 10 bucks UV is easier than a 50 bucks CPL. So better get a good one right from the start.
Oh so Tokina is still $45?
Go to B&S section to look for a second hand B+W MRC UV filter. Quality should be good and as long as you check carefully, 2nd hand filter is really not a problem. You get quality filter at a much lower price...

And when you decide to sell on, you might not lose any money on it...

Eh but I want CPL and not UV filter. Do you mean get 2nd hand CPL?

Thanks for the advice, My cousin just went HK, told him to help me buy Hoya or Kenko back.

Sorry to ask a rather stupid question but what are the differences between a cheap polariser and an expensive one? I currently dont have a polariser and am also thinking of getting one. Thanks for enlightening me!

Sorry to ask a rather stupid question but what are the differences between a cheap polariser and an expensive one? I currently dont have a polariser and am also thinking of getting one. Thanks for enlightening me!

I have the same question too.

Went to a few shops. Mostly said it's paying for the brand name. Is this true?

Luckily there are people and organizations that do reviews and extensive test. Have a look and the tests in detail and see how different brands and model score. Feel free to repeat the tests (flare test is quite easy) with your own equipment.
Lenstip.com - CPL Filter Tests

I have the same question too.

Went to a few shops. Mostly said it's paying for the brand name. Is this true?

special coatings, better optical materials, built, name ..
it is not entirely a brand thing.

ryan

Luckily there are people and organizations that do reviews and extensive test. Have a look and the tests in detail and see how different brands and model score. Feel free to repeat the tests (flare test is quite easy) with your own equipment.
Lenstip.com - CPL Filter Tests
Nice website link!!

Ok gotten the Kenko Pro1D Wide Band CPL, $99 at Orient. HK sold out, so didn't buy.

Hope its good, how I do test if there are colour casting on the CPL?

Status
Not open for further replies.