Raw vs jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAW is a format which is lossless... you can keep editing it and the original is not affected. Also it is the format which the data is stored when the picture is taken, you choose how you want to convert it in post-processing stage.

Jpeg is limited by the camera's conversion method and it is a lossy format. Lots of details are lost and will be continuously lost as you keep editing it and saving over it.

This is the to-the-point answer to your question of the difference between RAW and JPEG.

so.. does it make any difference if i shoot in raw and after which i use viewNX(nikon user) to convert to jpg without any editing

or

will the result be the same as shooting in jpg format straight?

:dunno:

The jpg from the camera *might* look better. This is because certain cam have better processing algorithm then the softwares.. I can't say for Nikon's ViewNX as I do not use them, but my experience is that on occasions, LR and PS's raw plugin needs some tweaking before outputting to look like the JPEG.

If the situation has tricky lighting and you need to shoot on the safe side, use RAW.. else I'll just shoot AdobeRGB Jpeg.

Basically raw format contain 16-bit files whereas jpeg is in compressed format and most times will be in 8-bit after conversion. If u put the same photo in two different formats next to each other, you will notice that the 16 bit files colour are a lot richer than the 8 bit files. Of course raw format files also has the advantage of containg all the details at the point which the photo was taken by the camera.

It's incorrect to say the color is richer, but rather has a better dynamic range. This is because JPG contains 256 levels of each channels R,G,B whereas raw contains more (2^bits) depending on the bitrate..

Also, not all cams are 16bits..

i used raw for shooting but after editing with NX2 (nikon user), i wasnt able to upload to Facebook etc...coz its NEF format rather than jpeg...any advice...thanks...

RAW format files are not meant to be uploaded or published, they are meant for post-processing. The result needs to be exported into one of the common file formats used in Internet. I guess the software comes with some manual (pdf file) where the typical workflow is described.

i used raw for shooting but after editing with NX2 (nikon user), i wasnt able to upload to Facebook etc...coz its NEF format rather than jpeg...any advice...thanks...

Convert your NEF to JPEG. It should come with your Camera.. or you can use Adobe PS CS4 like i do

All this information is good to know, but if u're satisfied with jpeg for now, then save the card space and enjoy shooting. ;)

I usually shoot JPEG despite reminding myself constantly to shoot in RAW. :bsmilie:

But I'm not a fussy shooter and don't demand absolute quality for general work. But when the lighting sucks, I switch to RAW. Needless to say, the tweaking of WB/exp/etc have saved me time and again :).

film never afforded me this post processing kelong and I intend to keep the status quo unchanged for myself

i prefer shooting in JPEG because it forces me to THINK about the exposure settings , f-stops and what not before executing the image so that I get it as right as possible IN CAMERA

be confident .......... shoot in Jpeg and have the guts to use delete button ..... those 'moments' might not be there again in future.... so make sure you capture successfully when you release shutter.

Last edited:
film never afforded me this post processing kelong and I intend to keep the status quo unchanged for myself

i prefer shooting in JPEG because it forces me to THINK about the exposure settings , f-stops and what not before executing the image so that I get it as right as possible IN CAMERA

be confident .......... shoot in Jpeg and have the guts to use delete button ..... those 'moments' might not be there again in future.... so make sure you capture successfully when you release shutter.

spoken like a true old school shooter.....respect bro....

Status
Not open for further replies.