RAW to JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Hello,

I do not know if this is the correct place to ask but well...

Firstly, the scenario is:

I have a photo shot in RAW but saved in JPEG without any adjustment. You guys should be able to imagine how the photo look like, it is dark no contrast,....etc Now, what can I do or should I do using PS to save this photo? The RAW file had been deleted.

Yes, this photo is important and given by somebody else. What I have now is only the JPEG format of the RAW file without any adjustment.

I hope I make myself clear...

Thanks.

Hey sumball, how are you doing?

Do you want to try Highlights and Shadows to improve the pic? I assume you are using Photoshop CS under Image -> Adjustments.

sumball said:
Hello,

I do not know if this is the correct place to ask but well...

Firstly, the scenario is:

I have a photo shot in RAW but saved in JPEG without any adjustment. You guys should be able to imagine how the photo look like, it is dark no contrast,....etc Now, what can I do or should I do using PS to save this photo? The RAW file had been deleted.

Yes, this photo is important and given by somebody else. What I have now is only the JPEG format of the RAW file without any adjustment.

I hope I make myself clear...

Thanks.
No 1 thing to do, save a copy of this file, do not edit this file, it should keep it as original.

If you need to make a print from this file, send a copy of this file without any postprodution will do, unless you think you can do a better correction than the lab people.

You also can try you own postproduction skill, send it together with the un-edited version, to see which one is better.

If you sent a self-edited version, don't forget to ask for 2 version print out, one is a straight print, one is ask them fine tune it for you.

From this three prints from twe version of files, you will know:
1. Do you wish/need to do post production for digital image?
2. Is you post-production skill good?
3. Your post-production make the print looks better or worst?

Hope this help

Thanks Mel and catchlights for the tips.

Will do that. :D

by DARK AND NO CONTRAST do you mean it's a linear file? Then you need to assign a color profile to correct the gamma, or, adjust curve in photoshop.

It isn't very smart to have thrown away the raw though, JPEG is 8bit and lossy, thus not very sutable for editing, especially if it's not gamma corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.