RAW questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
I am new to shooting in Raw format but had started to do it since I heard about the benefits of it for color and exposure correction.

But I am puzzled, with CS3 I still can do exposure correction with JPG files, so whats the difference?

BTW how do you guys adjust and tweak the RAW files? In CS3 or in some sort of program? Thanx.

Yes, in Photoshop you can adjust the exposure but you will see that details will be lost. The whites get blown etc. If you use RAW, the details can be recovered. Also note that for JPGs, the more you work on it, re-saving it, the quality get lower. A tiff/psd file from RAW file holds on better even after heavy photoshop work. For myself, I'm using Lightroom for organising and editing my RAW files. The best thing is that what ever changes you make there is only a set of instructions and will not affect the actual RAW file.

Yes, in Photoshop you can adjust the exposure but you will see that details will be lost. The whites get blown etc. If you use RAW, the details can be recovered. Also note that for JPGs, the more you work on it, re-saving it, the quality get lower. A tiff/psd file from RAW file holds on better even after heavy photoshop work. For myself, I'm using Lightroom for organising and editing my RAW files. The best thing is that what ever changes you make there is only a set of instructions and will not affect the actual RAW file.

Ok thanx!

So after I adjusted the exposure in RAW and saved it, does it means the RAW file is altered permanently to the new edited exposure or can I re-edit and get back the original without affecting anything even though I had saved it in the first time round?

Ok, do I have to get Lightroom or is CS3 enough already?

Ok thanx!

So after I adjusted the exposure in RAW and saved it, does it means the RAW file is altered permanently to the new edited exposure or can I re-edit and get back the original without affecting anything even though I had saved it in the first time round?

Ok, do I have to get Lightroom or is CS3 enough already?

If you are using lightroom, the changes you made is not permanent, you can always revert to the original file. If you do not have Lightroom, you can use the built in RAW convertor in Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw to do the convertion. Of couse it has limited features as compared to Lightroom.

Once you downloaded the RAW file, use Adobe bridge to organise your files. It will allow you to see the RAW thumbnails. When you need to edit in PS, ACR will open and allows you to make changes to the RAW before importing it to PS.

If you are using lightroom, the changes you made is not permanent, you can always revert to the original file. If you do not have Lightroom, you can use the built in RAW convertor in Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw to do the convertion. Of couse it has limited features as compared to Lightroom.

Once you downloaded the RAW file, use Adobe bridge to organise your files. It will allow you to see the RAW thumbnails. When you need to edit in PS, ACR will open and allows you to make changes to the RAW before importing it to PS.

Great info, thanx! Are the changes permanent if I just use CS3 only?

Great info, thanx! Are the changes permanent if I just use CS3 only?

It not permanent.
Normally you are advise to save any picture before editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.