Raw processing and real life dynamic range of the xtrans sensor?

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
Currently a canon user. My work covers quite a wide scope for photography. Planning to get the xt1 for leisure and travel. But wanna find out whether processing the images via acr or lightroom will give the same results as fuji raw converter and jpeg engine.

Won't switch to another workflow if it doesn't but need to manage expectations. Also how much latitude can I get from a fuji raw? From shadows and highlights.

Thanks!

Currently a canon user. My work covers quite a wide scope for photography. Planning to get the xt1 for leisure and travel. But wanna find out whether processing the images via acr or lightroom will give the same results as fuji raw converter and jpeg engine.

Won't switch to another workflow if it doesn't but need to manage expectations. Also how much latitude can I get from a fuji raw? From shadows and highlights.

Thanks!

I am using X camera (X-Pro1 + X100S + X-T1), shoot both RAW + JPEG. I process RAW almost all the time in Lightroom with Fujifilm camera profile. I wouldn't say it identical but very close. I find that the RAW file are under expose by one-stop when I applied the Fujifilm film simulation in Lightroom. However the shawdow recovery is awesome, if you shoot with Exposure to the Right technique, you have no problem to recover the shadow with minimum noise.

Thanks. Is the headroom more for shadows or highlights? I remember an older version of acr making my images abit underexposed as well.

Thanks. Is the headroom more for shadows or highlights? I remember an older version of acr making my images abit underexposed as well.

My opinion is more headroom in the shadow.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm thinking of trying my hand at shooting RAW and doing some manual adjustments. For a hobbyist photographer, what is the recommended workflow? Would it be Adobe Lightroom or will the Silkypix convertor that came with the camera work fine? Thank you!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm thinking of trying my hand at shooting RAW and doing some manual adjustments. For a hobbyist photographer, what is the recommended workflow? Would it be Adobe Lightroom or will the Silkypix convertor that came with the camera work fine? Thank you!

I suggest you try with Silkypix and if you like the result from adjusting from RAW, then do consider Lightroom. It is also a great photo management tools.

Or download a trail version of Lightroom.

I suggest you try with Silkypix and if you like the result from adjusting from RAW, then do consider Lightroom. It is also a great photo management tools.

Or download a trail version of Lightroom.

Hi thank you so much for the tip! Shall start with Silkypix first. Also borrowed a couple of Lightroom books from the library :D

Hi thank you so much for the tip! Shall start with Silkypix first. Also borrowed a couple of Lightroom books from the library :D

LR better.

Anyway to address flipfreaks question def more headroom imo.

I have been processing the raw files frm my xt1 in LR. Definitely not as much headroom compared to the nikon raw files i am so used to.

Btw there is more shadow headroom than highlights.

i haven't really shot anything in raf to see the difference. but i dunno the awb or film simulation is giving me terrible skintones in artificial lighting. except classic chrome. i think that is gonna be my de facto profile. :D

Reviving this thread.

Just re-joined Fujifilm users with a used X-E1. Previously was using a Fujifilm S2Pro, years ago. Kinda miss the colour of Fujifilm jpg. I primarily use Nikon DSLRs.

My experience, limited though, is that LR and Silkypix are hopeless in raw conversion of RAF files - I get load more noise from these converters compared to the SOOC JPG as well as in-camera conversion. I was indeed pushing the camera at ISO 5000-6400. SOOC JPG with skin tones were nice, noisy when processed with LR or Silkypix.

Am I missing something or is this the general experience as well?

Last edited:
Hi , welcome back :)

tech does advance with time. Though the XTrans 1 sensor was what pushed Fuji into the market, it is a first gen sensor and is not recommended for shooting beyond ISO6400 (noise and waxy features)

This is not to say Xtrans1 isn't good, but it's more of to note when working with it.

If u have tried Xtrans3, one can see that the dynamic range and ISO performance have already improved tremendously since 5 years ago. On Xtrans3 I comfortably go beyond ISO6400 when needed.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase: JSOOC is OK, processed DAF using LR or Silkypix very noisy. Is this your experience? High ISO shots.