Rates for architecture and sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, it not about how much to charge, though $25k is a little shocking. Its about the recurring costs of using the same photo over and over again. Clients don't like that. They would usually prefer a one off arrangement and in that nature; if you factor in rights management costs into a one off quote, its not going to look good at the job interview.

well if both the company and the photographer have enough reputation, it is still possible. but that's talking at a different level in the market already.

yes your original post is pretty misleading.

''perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs''

depends on who your client is. there's space to bargain when coming to big projects for big firms with reputation. but don't expect a small firm to pay that amount, even for perpetual rights.

to add on to the thing about clients, if you're shooting for international magazines like GA, that still look possible. if you're shooting for a magazine like Singapore Architect, forget it.

well if both the company and the photographer have enough reputation, it is still possible. but that's talking at a different level in the market already.

How many of those do you think are floating around? What are the chances the clients TS is talking about is one of them?

to add on to the thing about clients, if you're shooting for international magazines like GA, that still look possible. if you're shooting for a magazine like Singapore Architect, forget it.

I wonder how you gather your info on that possibility? Have you worked at GA or SA? As much as architectural magazines are not commissioned to build the buildings, neither do they shoot them nor is there a need to usually. Publications surface through invitation or self submission, architects/designers who are selected have already submitted their work for review or established a working history beforehand. They dont walkup to a magazine like GA and ask them to get someone over to shoot for a building while GA pay the incredible fee for photography for their publication as you highlighted. As far as i understand the mag selects ranging from photos, 3d renderings, dwgs, sketches, pictures of models etc. The responsibilities are back on the designers and architects to submit their best portfolio for their building to secure themselves. I know cos I worked for someone on his submission to GA once over summer when i was a student overseas and he was selected.

I wonder how you gather your info on that possibility? Have you worked at GA or SA? As much as architectural magazines are not commissioned to build the buildings, neither do they shoot them nor is there a need to usually. Publications surface through invitation or self submission, architects/designers who are selected have already submitted their work for review or establish a working relationship beforehand. They dont walkup to a magazine like GA and ask them to get someone over to shoot for a building while GA pay the incredible fee for photography for their publication as you highlighted. As far as i understand the mag selects ranging from photos, 3d renderings, dwgs, sketches, pictures of models etc. The responsibilities are back on the designers and architects to submit their best portfolio for their building to secure themselves. I know cos I worked for someone on his submission to GA once over summer when i was a student overseas and he was selected.

That depends on the nature of the articles the mag is publishing. Some articles dealing with e.g. urban issues requires general documentation which no one might have done it before. In such cases, they do hire photographers (or sometimes, the contributor themselves) to do these documentation. If you look at the team of people working for the mags, you usually do find 1 or 2 general photographers as contributors.

I wonder how you gather your info on that possibility? Have you worked at GA or SA? As much as architectural magazines are not commissioned to build the buildings, neither do they shoot them nor is there a need to usually. Publications surface through invitation or self submission, architects/designers who are selected have already submitted their work for review or established a working history beforehand. They dont walkup to a magazine like GA and ask them to get someone over to shoot for a building while GA pay the incredible fee for photography for their publication as you highlighted. As far as i understand the mag selects ranging from photos, 3d renderings, dwgs, sketches, pictures of models etc. The responsibilities are back on the designers and architects to submit their best portfolio for their building to secure themselves. I know cos I worked for someone on his submission to GA once over summer when i was a student overseas and he was selected.

yes most resources are taken from the firms themselves, but GA have their own inhouse photographers as well

yes most resources are taken from the firms themselves, but GA have their own inhouse photographers as well

As u were hinting GA pays around 25k for 1 photograph, would the photog working inhouse be paid 25k for an image that they produce? The rights belong to GA themselves. That being the case, there is no way that would mount to 25k from rights management since they already own them.

Yes so does URA ... but what makes you think they pay 25k each?

i don't know the way they are paid, but given their international status at least if you're hired, you can look forward to a good pay. but definitely URA or SIA don't pay high premiums for pictures.

i don't know the way they are paid, but given their international status at least if you're hired, you can look forward to a good pay. but definitely URA or SIA don't pay high premiums for pictures.

Heh!! Do they actually pay??? I thought all they need to do is organise a photo competition with a $500 prize money. They get "perpetual rights" for all entries.

Heh!! Do they actually pay??? I thought all they need to do is organise a photo competition with a $500 prize money. They get "perpetual rights" for all entries.

:bsmilie:

well, the winners seem pretty happy about it

:bsmilie:

well, the winners seem pretty happy about it

Not that bad lah, a few years i heard they have a chip in 50% thingy, they pay half for your costs on the research relevant to the project. Of course end of the day, they compile a publication, all credits given at least.

btw, since you've shot for someone with submissions to GA, you can give TS a very good idea how firms are paying for the job :devil:

Not that bad lah, a few years i heard they have a chip in 50% thingy, they pay half for your costs on the research relevant to the project. Of course end of the day, they compile a publication, all credits given at least.

it's much more complicated, check the small prints ... :angel:

btw, since you've shot for someone with submissions to GA, you can give TS a very good idea how firms are paying for the job :devil:

I was a student then i didnt shoot for him, he needed me to work on design drawings then. boy it was tough, he was photographing one of the building models placed the 7 days worth of work on a ladder against the sky to shoot in the open. The wind came and lifted it in the air before it came crushing down to the ground.

Locally, some designers even shoot for themselves. I have heard people quoting from $100 to now 25k per image! There aint any hard and fast rules. The issue is how confident are you to deliver at the price that u deemed fit, in return how comfortable are they to trust the photographer at the specific price tag. Probably that would come from some understanding from architecture itself if u were to shine above the rest. John Gollings is one of the better guys out there, he has an architecture degree behind his back. For the TS assuming you are new and have no background with architecture or design, if u like shooting buildings, go out read more learn more abt buildings rather than photographing buildings. Learn to identify styles of building, learn what is a good building from one that is not. What is the trend then and now? There are good books at kino and basheer. GA is a good japanese title. There are Rizolli, El Croquis and more commonly Taschen(which is least of my liking) that covers buildings internationally. For interiors i recommend Framemag. locally there are Ish and d+a that features work closer to the shores.

By the time u have done all that and have a better grasp that is if u r really into what u believe in, shoot a bldg that you have shot before again. If u feel there are improvements probably u are on the right track. U probably be more confident and probably be a better judge on how you should value yourself upon a better grasp upon that understanding. Coming to a forum to ask how much to charge wont solve your dilemma.

A great architect once said, as a painter u can paint the sky red when its blue, u can paint a door smaller than a man. As an architect you can't. That man is Louis Kahn. Try figureout the heart and soul of a building 1st would be my recommendation. If u put your heart to dedicate in learning more about buildings, naturally you will see differently and shoot differently. Thus when the client question you, you will be able to impress them not only with your photographs, your interests and understanding would certainly secure a better chance. Hope this helps.

I was a student then i didnt shoot for him, he needed me to work on design drawings then. boy it was tough, he was photographing one of the building models placed the 7 days worth of work on a ladder against the sky to shoot in the open. The wind came and lifted it in the air before it came crushing down to the ground.

Locally, some designers even shoot for themselves. I have heard people quoting from $100 to now 25k per image! There is no hard and fast rule. The issue is how confident are you to deliver at the price that u deemed fit. And how comfortable are they to trust the photographer at the specific price tag. Probably that would come from some understanding from architecture itself if u were to shine above the rest. John Gollings (whoops not sure if i got his name right) is one of the better guys out there, he has an architecture degree behind his back. For the TS assuming you are new and have no background with architecture or design, if u like shooting buildings, go out read more learn more abt buildings rather than photographing buildings. Learn to identify styles of building, learn what is a good building and one that is not. What is the trend then and now? There are good books at kino and basheer. GA is a good japanese title. There are Rizolli, El Croquis and more commonly Taschen(which is least of my liking) that covers buildings internationally. For interiors i recommend Framemag. locally there are Ish and d+a that features work closer to the shores.

By the time u have done all that and have a better grasp that is if u r really into what u believe in, go shoot a bldg that you have shot before again. If u feel there are improvement probably u are on the right track. U probably be more confident and probably be a better judge on how you should value yourself upon a better grasp upon that understanding. Coming to a forum to ask how much to charge wont solve your dilemma.

A great architect once said, as a painter u can paint the sky red when its blue, u can paint a door smaller than a man. As an architect you can't. That man is Louis Kahn. Try figureout the heart and soul of a building 1st would be my recommendation. If u put your heart to dedicate in learning more about buildings, naturally you will see differently and shoot differently. Thus when the client question you, you will be able to impress them not only with your photographs, your interests and understanding would certainly secure a better chance. Hope this helps.

browsed through John Gollings' website, i feel his pictures are really made-for-magazine, impressive, but i prefer Helene Benite for the feel

browsed through John Gollings' website, i feel his pictures are really made-for-magazine, impressive, but i prefer Helene Benite for the feel

he doesn't charge 25k per image .... last heard... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.