Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashbulb

Jun 20, 2008
DPP_0003-1.jpg

1/25 seconds F8 iso100 AV Mode

DPP_0004-1.jpg

1/160 seconds F8 iso100 AV Mode

for the above scene while waiting for MRT, my focus on the 1st pic was on the sky and on the second pic was where the sky touched the building. pretty amazing difference to the ones below where there is barely notice any difference.

DPP_0001-1.jpg

1/320 seconds F8 iso100 AV Mode (Focus on the sky)

DPP_0002-1.jpg

1/320 seconds F8 iso100 AV Mode (Focus on the branch then hold focus back to sky)

no time for tripod as MRT was coming. usually whats a quick workflow for manual settings to get nice sunset shots?

Last edited:
1) Pic 1 the top left onwards are way overexposed and lots of details lost.
2) Pic 2 has potential if u are talking only on the sunset itself.

Basically i think the reason why 1st pic turned out like that could be because of the prolonged exposure (a whooping 1/25). There is basically no one best exposure or aperture for the sunset shot but could a good guide would be to use:-

1) aperture around f8 and above
2) exposure depend on the lighting.
3) for sunsets i usually set my WB to cloudy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
1) Pic 1 the top left onwards are way overexposed and lots of details lost.

Basically i think the reason why 1st pic turned out like that could be because of the prolonged exposure (a whooping 1/25). There is basically no one best exposure or aperture for the sunset shot but could a good guide would be to use:-

1) aperture around f8
2) exposure depend on the lighting.
3) for sunsets i usually set my WB to cloudy.

Hope this helps.

Its like the scene was screaming at me to take a picture of it, was thinking of using filter but did not have time. I welcome any tips on improving quick techniques for in the spur of the moment snapshots.

Roger that.

Btw the above i believe was taken using AWB. Try using shade or cloudy for sunsets. These 2 WB seems to accentuate the sunrise/set.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
hmm, to the ts, first of all, wad was yr metering mode..?if its spot metering, then the metering would be same as the focusing point...which cant be cause the camera wouldn't have given u the 1/25s shutter(since your second shot gave u 1/160)..

could be u are in evaluative metering..?(is that what they call it for canon?)

usually for sunset/sunrise pics, u would need time to adjust ba...if wan a fast one...for evaluative metering, if u have the sun in the shot the camera will take it into consideration and will underexpose....on the other hand, if u have most more dark areas in the overall pic the camera will over expose a bit....

so one way maybe is for you to pre-emp this and use yr exposure compensation...maybe -1ev when taking the sunset..(under evaluative mode)...u can also increase yr luck with raw....if miss a bit have more room for adjustment compared to jpeg

hmm, to the ts, first of all, wad was yr metering mode..?if its spot metering, then the metering would be same as the focusing point...which cant be cause the camera wouldn't have given u the 1/25s shutter(since your second shot gave u 1/160)..

could be u are in evaluative metering..?(is that what they call it for canon?)

usually for sunset/sunrise pics, u would need time to adjust ba...if wan a fast one...for evaluative metering, if u have the sun in the shot the camera will take it into consideration and will underexpose....on the other hand, if u have most more dark areas in the overall pic the camera will over expose a bit....

so one way maybe is for you to pre-emp this and use yr exposure compensation...maybe -1ev when taking the sunset..(under evaluative mode)...u can also increase yr luck with raw....if miss a bit have more room for adjustment compared to jpeg
I was using AV mode so should be Evaluative. thanks for tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.