Quick question on aspect ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon G

Jun 20, 2005
I have a quick question regarding aspect ratios.

People always say 3:2 is the aspect ratio for film and when doing prints (4R)

But, other print sizes are NOT 3:2.

E.g.,
3R is 3.5" x 5" = 10:7
6R is 6" x 8" = 4:3
8R is 8" x 10" = 5:4

So say you cropped your photos to 3:2 for printing, and you decide to enlarge to, say, 6R, then part of the photos would be cropped off?

Thanks for any help :D

Generally, I will decide my print size and crop to the aspect ratio in Photoshop before sending.

If you only print in 4R and Super 8R, then no problems there. :)

Jon G said:
I have a quick question regarding aspect ratios.

People always say 3:2 is the aspect ratio for film and when doing prints (4R)

But, other print sizes are NOT 3:2.

E.g.,
3R is 3.5" x 5" = 10:7
6R is 6" x 8" = 4:3
8R is 8" x 10" = 5:4

So say you cropped your photos to 3:2 for printing, and you decide to enlarge to, say, 6R, then part of the photos would be cropped off?

Thanks for any help :D

If the image file you send in doesn't fit the aspect ratio of the print chosen you have 3 options:

1) Stretch to fit - Distorts the image to fit the ratio, generally not recommended
2) Print with crop - Crops out the largest area that can fit the aspect ratio, also not recommended unless you have lots of empty space.
3) Print maximum size possible - Prints the picture as is with white borders around. The best option by far, only problem is that you're wasting space and the picture is smaller than what it could have been.

Of course you can always use PS to make sure the file fits the apect ratio you're printing in.

Just to add, what happens for film in this case? From all I can remember, there was no cropping no matter what size I printed in the past... :dunno:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies...

I'm coding a site that allows people to upload photos and crop to print size, and I originally thought print size was always 3:2, until I saw the various sizes that were of other ratios...

Thanks again :)

huggable said:
Just to add, what happens for film in this case? From all I can remember, there was no cropping no matter what size I printed in the past... :dunno:
Film is already in 3:2 size...

IIRC, there are Digital 4R, Digital 5R, Digital 6R, etcetc for PnS cameras which shoot in 4:3 ratio instead of 3:2....

huggable said:

Compare the prints with the negatives, and you may be surprised.

+evenstar said:
Film is already in 3:2 size...

IIRC, there are Digital 4R, Digital 5R, Digital 6R, etcetc for PnS cameras which shoot in 4:3 ratio instead of 3:2....

Is this something new? So lets say I want to print my digital photos, I should tell the shop people that I want to print out in Digital xR?

Is Digital 4R bigger in size than 4R? Won't fit into the normal album I guess:rolleyes:

Velectron said:
Is this something new? So lets say I want to print my digital photos, I should tell the shop people that I want to print out in Digital xR?

Is Digital 4R bigger in size than 4R? Won't fit into the normal album I guess:rolleyes:
I think it's only the ratio that is different..

huggable said:

There is cropping. Just that you probably didn't notice it much cos its not significant unless you've framed the shot very tightly, which people seldom do. You''ll usually leave a little allowance when shooting.

The so-called "Digital" 4R is 4.5"x6". There are albums for these sizes already. But this are for 4:3 formats... a misnomer cos not all digital shots are in 4:3 ratio.

My 350D is 3:2 so I use normal albums.

huggable said:
35mm film is 2:3, so if you print 5R (5:7), 6R(3:4), 8R(4:5), some area will be crop off, but not to worry too much, because, 1, not all people shoot very tight crop, 2, during print making, the printer are able to adjust which area to crop off, if happen that will crop away some part of a person body, he/she will have to advise you to print it in other size of paper (ratio).

Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.