Questions on Timelapse

RyanKhoo

Apr 6, 2008
Hi there,

I just took series of photos for holy grail type of time lapse. The photos can be group into basically 3 sections/groups:

1) Day time

2) Dark Blue time

3) Dark

I remember, there is a function in Lightroom or photoshop where we can adjust one raw photo and then click it applies to all(ie the rest)

So, now I basically have 3 groups, so how to I adjust their settings in raw ? Which photos to take as a reference so that the rest of photos follow suit ..

Thanks

LRTimelapse free up to 400 photos. Else got to buy it. LR function is match total exposure, I tried, not working well on time lapse photos.

LRTimelapse free up to 400 photos. Else got to buy it. LR function is match total exposure, I tried, not working well on time lapse photos.

Thanks BBTM.

I am not referring to the exposure.

I am referring to, eg, the raw adjustment for sharpness, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, clarity, vibrance, saturation ... etc where we try to bring out the colours ...etc.

Usually in non-holy grail timelapse (ie same daytime throughout or same night time through out ... we will adjust one, then apply the same to all), we choose 1 photo, apply the adjustments, then apply the same to all.

But in holy grail, which one picture do we select ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks BBTM.

I am not referring to the exposure.

I am referring to, eg, the raw adjustment for sharpness, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, clarity, vibrance, saturation ... etc where we try to bring out the colours ...etc.

Usually in non-holy grail timelapse (ie same daytime throughout or same night time through out ... we will adjust one, then apply the same to all), we choose 1 photo, apply the adjustments, then apply the same to all.

But in holy grail, which one picture do we select ?

Thanks

Since it's holy grail, hard to be same for all. You check out the lrtimelapse tutorial on holy grail, maybe you can find your answer there.

lrtimelapse is suitable tool for this > it uses "keyframes" set at specific intervals to gradually transition from one photo settings to the next

e.g. if you set 5 keyframes throughout the entire holygrail sequence, then within lightroom, only need to alter the settings (exposure, colours, sharpness, etc) for the 5 keyframes and lrtimelapse will auto-calculate the intermediate frames for you automatically

without lrtimelapse, you can also make use of the colour correction tools to set up keyframes in your NLE, it's actually pretty much the same thing coz the NLE also auto-calculate the settings between one keyframe to the next in a linear manner

Thanks BBTM and pettypoh.

What I meant to ask is this. See this video from 4:029 to 4:20 where he adjusted all the settings in raw to 1 photo to make the photos nicer & then apply these same changes to all the photos (so that all the photos look nicer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPpFwei_OE

This is possible because the start duration and the end duration is the same, ie the are both daytime. Question is, how to apply the above to a start point (daytime) and end point (night time) that is different.

Thanks & regards,

Thanks BBTM and pettypoh. What I meant to ask is this. See this video from 4:029 to 4:20 where he adjusted all the settings in raw to 1 photo to make the photos nicer & then apply these same changes to all the photos (so that all the photos look nicer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPpFwei_OE This is possible because the start duration and the end duration is the same, ie the are both daytime. Question is, how to apply the above to a start point (daytime) and end point (night time) that is different. Thanks & regards,

I doubt you can as I tried. Cause of different exposure, you should have different setting for that timing. Later I upload my hk time Lapse n show u.

I tried to do some timelapse, took some shots but I think something is wrong with my settings.

You see, this is how the actual scene looks, it is dark, at night:

But on my camera, I set the white balance in raw to Daylight and this is what I get:

It looks totally burnt out & too yellow. The shutter speed was at 4 secs.

I set the white balance at daylight because the timelapse started at daytime and the WB is fixed throughout the duration.

Any tips ?

Thanks

Since it's in RAW, you still can use the AWB and other sliders to correct it. Then sync all the photos which having this problem. Actually, you should use LRTimelapse, it will solve it mostly. Yellow color due to the lights, I preview my videos also got this impact and I corrected some of it.

[video=youtube_share;4v7zn_Ptx7s]https://youtu.be/4v7zn_Ptx7s[/video]

Last edited:
I tried to do some timelapse, took some shots but I think something is wrong with my settings.

You see, this is how the actual scene looks, it is dark, at night:

But on my camera, I set the white balance in raw to Daylight and this is what I get:

It looks totally burnt out & too yellow. The shutter speed was at 4 secs.

I set the white balance at daylight because the timelapse started at daytime and the WB is fixed throughout the duration.

Any tips ?

Thanks

warm colour (yellow) is correct (coz WB fixed as daylight)
=> u will be able to change via LRtimelapse+Lightroom (using the keyframes method)
=> alternative is change via NLE
=> another way is set auto white balance within your camera, but might result in flicker ... not sure whether D750 exposure smoothing have any effect for Auto WB ... will be good to research/experiment and see how it turns out (set up as RAW+JPEG), then use JPEG to compile first

p/s - If I remember correctly, Panasonic can do timelapse via Auto WB?

Last edited: