Questions on taking fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnzila

Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

I would like to seek advise on the settings to snap fireworks.

I only know it would be best to use Bulb Mode with a black card. But as for wat apeture to set and which while balance to choose, could anyone advise me?:dunno:

Hi,

I only know it would be best to use Bulb Mode with a black card. But as for wat apeture to set and which while balance to choose, could anyone advise me?:dunno:

F8 to F16. I normally shoot at F13. As for White Balance, I set it to Auto but I shoot in RAW so.. I tweak it later on.

Hi,

For first time fireworks, I find black card not so useful, especially when the fireworks sequence is unknown or unless you like to squeeze lots of bursts in a frame. Easy to get kinda panicky when you see the fireworks in continuous succession. ;p

Go early choose a good location for your tripod, make sure no potential obstructions in the view. Ready to review/recompose after the very first firework comes up when you are not sure of the exact firing spot. Might wanna take some test shots beforehand for over/under-exposure if you intend to include other objects/scenery. Remote helps if you don't want to keep pressing on the shutter. Shoot raw for adjustments later. There are usually short intervals between bursts. Use it to do quick review or relax yourself for the next round. Fireworks usually becomes more intense as it progresses towards the end so use the earlier minutes to get hang of things. Stay focused. No time to get disappointed if review of earlier shots are not up to your expectations.

Just some n00b exp to share. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

So any good spots to recommend for tomorrow fireworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.