Questions on Metering Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2007
Hi Bros!

Wanna ask a few question about Metering Mode. I have a few samples taken with different metering mode.

img1508resizers6.jpg

Taken with
- pattern metering mode
- Aperture mode
-focus on the chair

I find that the chairs are a bit dark

img1509resizesu1.jpg

Taken with
-Spot metering mode
- Aperture mode
-Focus on the chair

It became a bit brighter.

If i were to use spot metering, focus on the chair (locked my focus) and composed my picture, how come the chair becomes dark? Is there any way to solve this???

Sample picture of focus and shift.

img1514resizelf1.jpg

Last edited:
since you are use auto exposure mode, and you only lock the focusing, BUT didn't lock the exposure by using AE lock, after recompose, the camera will take the meter reading from the final focusing point.

you can tell this by seeing the white wall is turning into gray, since no compensation given.

solutions: use AE lock if you use auto exposure or P mode. OR using manual exposure mode.

The dynamic range of digital sensors is much lower than our eye. That means: Our eye can resolve properly dark objects next to bright objects, the camera sensor cannot. So the metering needs to decide what to drop. Standard is: drop dark parts, expose according the brightest parts of the picture.
Example 1: The chair is underexposed because the matrix (or pattern) metering considers the bright walls as part of the image. To prevent overexposure the exposure is adjusted to the brightest parts. In return the chairs get underexposed.
Example 2: Spot metering only meters at one spot (mostly equal to focus point, see you manual for exceptions). So the brightness of the wall is neglected, resulting in overexposure of the walls.
Read up what these metering modes actually do and how (and when) your camera locks the exposure. Your manual will tell you about AE lock in the different modes and what can be done via Custom Functions.
My reading recommendation:
Cambridge in Colour: Metering

oh...i see...got a clearer picture now. Just tried locking the AE and it works..Thank guys!!

1. pattern , most likely calculate the whole scene then average it.
2. spot , only calculate the one around centre, think the viewfinder has circle thats for spot meter, so in ur pic is around chair area. it's quite dark so overall picture is brighter
3. another spot but this time the reading is wall, it's white n bright, resulting ur pics to be underexposed.

to get the correct exposure, meter 18% grey.if i not wrong.

so correct me if i'm wrong somewhere. :)

1. pattern , most likely calculate the whole scene then average it.
2. spot , only calculate the one around centre, think the viewfinder has circle thats for spot meter, so in ur pic is around chair area. it's quite dark so overall picture is brighter
3. another spot but this time the reading is wall, it's white n bright, resulting ur pics to be underexposed.

to get the correct exposure, meter 18% grey.if i not wrong.

so correct me if i'm wrong somewhere. :)

Hi! thanks for the explanation, but what do you mean by meter 18% grey???

Status
Not open for further replies.