Questions on getting a K-x

whiteshades

Feb 28, 2010
Hi guys! New bird here...

I went to check out the dual kit lens bundle at SLR Rev yesterday only to be told that they will be bringing it in next week. =(

Will there be a Pentax Booth at the IT Fair?

And does weather resistant mean that it can take drizzles or cold weather? There is a very high possibility of me using it during winter season so I would like to know if it would be wiser to take WR. However I have read that the Kx doesn't work below zero or rather not advisable.

If so, how do I keep it usable in sub-zero temperatures? anyone?

Sorry if my questions sound dumb. :embrass:

Hi guys! New bird here...

I went to check out the dual kit lens bundle at SLR Rev yesterday only to be told that they will be bringing it in next week. =(

Will there be a Pentax Booth at the IT Fair?

And does weather resistant mean that it can take drizzles or cold weather? There is a very high possibility of me using it during winter season so I would like to know if it would be wiser to take WR. However I have read that the Kx doesn't work below zero or rather not advisable.

If so, how do I keep it usable in sub-zero temperatures? anyone?

Sorry if my questions sound dumb. :embrass:

Nope.....there won't be a booth for Pentax at the IT fair.And when did the K-x become weather resistant?

if you want WR, it will have to be the K-7 rated to work at -10 degrees up

Nope.....there won't be a booth for Pentax at the IT fair.And when did the K-x become weather resistant?

relax, he's just asking if there's a need to get a weather resistant cam like k-7 if he's going to sub zero temperatures.

anyway, Im not sure about this since I havent brought my cam in such condition. But, it is clearly identified by pentax that k-7 is capable of working at -10 deg C. Anyway, sooner or later somebody will verify if k-x is workable in such area.

k-x is always out of stock and been third time or more since the release, clearly it has been very popular to the masses. :thumbsup:

Add up, news is there's no booth at IT fair so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply guys... sorry if my sentence structure has caused you to misinterpret what I was trying to say.

Let me rephrase.

I know that the Kx doesnt operate below zero and I'm asking if there is anyway around this such as added warmers/covers or stuff like that. Cannot afford a K-7 :(

I also know that the KX isnt WR and I'm asking if the Lenses that are WR rated, to what extent can they take weather? Drizzle, Rain, and moisture proof?

I hope I'm clearer now :bsmilie:

Thanks for the quick reply guys... sorry if my sentence structure has caused you to misinterpret what I was trying to say.

Let me rephrase.

I know that the Kx doesnt operate below zero and I'm asking if there is anyway around this such as added warmers/covers or stuff like that. Cannot afford a K-7 :(

I also know that the KX isnt WR and I'm asking if the Lenses that are WR rated, to what extent can they take weather? Drizzle, Rain, and moisture proof?

I hope I'm clearer now :bsmilie:

Thanks for clairfying.FYI,i have tried using my Kx during light drizzles,no problem at all:)Haven't tried rain before,dunno if will spoil a not:bsmilie:

Unless getting the WR lens.

So far never tried Kx on rain. Everytime rain, I cover that bugger like my own baby. Never mind me wet.

WR means you it can handle being put in the shower. The whole thing is sealed to prevent water from going in, but the sealing is not very strong, so pressurized water is not guaranteed to be kept out. That means you cannot submerge the whole thing underwater. The deeper the object is underwater, the higher the pressure is on the seals, which is why most waterproofed objects have a rating "up to xxx meters". WR stuffs are not meant to be submerged underwater.

Anyway, check this out :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9mBbo92Ik

Thanks for clairfying.FYI,i have tried using my Kx during light drizzles,no problem at all:)Haven't tried rain before,dunno if will spoil a not:bsmilie:

are your lenses WR? I'm just afraid that moisture will seep in...

WR means you it can handle being put in the shower. The whole thing is sealed to prevent water from going in, but the sealing is not very strong, so pressurized water is not guaranteed to be kept out. That means you cannot submerge the whole thing underwater. The deeper the object is underwater, the higher the pressure is on the seals, which is why most waterproofed objects have a rating "up to xxx meters". WR stuffs are not meant to be submerged underwater.

Anyway, check this out :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9mBbo92Ik

Thanks! But its not K-X! no money for K-7... Hmm but K-x body itself isnt rated WR but some of the lenses are so... what does that mean?

I may just head down and hunt for the Kx later today :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I recommend calling up the shops first, and maybe place a reservation, before you go, to avoid being disappointed.

Thanks! But its not K-X! no money for K-7... Hmm but K-x body itself isnt rated WR but some of the lenses are so... what does that mean?

I may just head down and hunt for the Kx later today :bsmilie:

SLR Revo has single kit lens in white and red.

Dual kit lens would only arrive in 1 - 2 weeks time.

Price remains the same.

I may be making a generalisation, but here goes....

If it's just a "regular" winter, you don't need weather sealing and such to be able to use your camera. I have used my K100D in sub-zero temperatures, high altitudes, and drizzles and snow falls. Worked fine without any consequences. Specs are often under-quoted on the safe side, even though you shouldn't push the limits too much. I wouldn't bring a regular entry level DSLR on an arctic expedition, but definitely no worries for a European winter holiday. Just take care of your electronics like any other non-ruggedised gadget, and you should be fine.

At least that's my opinion and experiences. Having your gear WR allows you to "abuse" them more liberally, and cry father cry mother when they fail... ;)

I may be making a generalisation, but here goes....

If it's just a "regular" winter, you don't need weather sealing and such to be able to use your camera. I have used my K100D in sub-zero temperatures, high altitudes, and drizzles and snow falls. Worked fine without any consequences. Specs are often under-quoted on the safe side, even though you shouldn't push the limits too much. I wouldn't bring a regular entry level DSLR on an arctic expedition, but definitely no worries for a European winter holiday. Just take care of your electronics like any other non-ruggedised gadget, and you should be fine.

At least that's my opinion and experiences. Having your gear WR allows you to "abuse" them more liberally, and cry father cry mother when they fail... ;)

Thanks for your input and your experience! :)

Will be getting the Kx soon, probably next week. Hope it isn't sold out again.

776284378_ri5Mq-X2-2.jpg

hi, i am confused with the price list. can anyone help?

let's say i am interested in Kx (18mm - 55mm L + 50 - 200mm L Kit)
how much would i have to pay? $899 at SLR-Rev?

which is much more recommendable? the $1103 or $899? sorry i am new and have heard that many of them say Pentax is good

Last edited:
776284378_ri5Mq-X2-2.jpg

hi, i am confused with the price list. can anyone help?

let's say i am interested in Kx (18mm - 55mm L + 50 - 200mm L Kit)
how much would i have to pay? $899 at SLR-Rev?

which is much more recommendable? the $1103 or $899? sorry i am new and have heard that many of them say Pentax is good

Well, the main differences between the $899 and $1103, is the 2nd Kit lens, which is 50-200 and 55-300 respectively. Which one to choose is really dependable on you. What do you prefer? Longer focal length? Or something lighter to carry around?

You should see this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655422
there is some comments on both the lens. And i think there are more being stated in other threads but i am too tired to go find and can't remember which one is it.

Hope that this would help you understand more on both the lens

maybe you can try Orient Photo @ sim lim square. i got my k-x last week. standard kit lens @ $785. black. :)

maybe you can try Orient Photo @ sim lim square. i got my k-x last week. standard kit lens @ $785. black. :)

Gunning for the twin lens =)