Questions on CPL filter usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigersaurus

Nov 27, 2005
Planning to get a CPL filter.
I read from some threads that CPL filter will cause human objects to become "purple"?
It does not make sense to keep removing the filter whenever I need to take landscape picture with human objects and putting them on if no human objects.
I understand that we can turn the filter to control the polarization, so my question is;
will I be able to control the dial such that the human objects will not become purple?
of course if this means sacrificing the deep contrast blue sky, then I am okay.
as long as there is a setting that human will appear in the correct skin tone :bsmilie:

or what else I can do?

also, I read that I need to set WB to Daylight and down exposure to -1 or lower?

thanks.

I dun think the Circular polarisers make humans purple, or at least not the ones i am using.

Circular polarisers give accurate Through the lens metering for the camera systems. Unless u are talking about linear polarisers

ryan

Last edited:
I read from some threads that CPL filter will cause human objects to become "purple"?
It does not make sense to keep removing the filter whenever I need to take landscape picture with human objects and putting them on if no human objects.
I understand that we can turn the filter to control the polarization, so my question is;
will I be able to control the dial such that the human objects will not become purple?
as long as there is a setting that human will appear in the correct skin tone :bsmilie:

or what else I can do?

also, I read that I need to set WB to Daylight and down exposure to -1 or lower?

thanks.
please show where you find the info of CPL filter can turn people into Barney?

Barney-1.gif

I think TS has mistaken for vari ND or fader ND. Branded CPL does not make people look purple.

or what else I can do?

thanks.

CPL is used mainly for landscape. You can take pictures with people too but it won't turn them purple. And you're right, when using CPL filter you shouldn't use auto white balance because the camera will automatically compensate for the light coming in thru the lens.

please show where you find the info of CPL filter can turn people into Barney?

Barney-1.gif

HAHA.

to ts: dont need exposure comp, cos the CPL's ND+2 will be taken TTL by the camera meter.

As long as you are in any program mode the necessary exposure compensation is done by the camera. For manual mode watch your meter and adjust accordingly. The difference might be more or less than 1 stop, depending on the filter.
WB should be set to daylight (or any other suitable preset). Reason: CPL will enhance the blue skies but your Auto WB might notice this and correct to what the camera thinks is 'well balanced' thus removing all the CPL effects again. You can try this with a piece of coloured foil if you have one at hand. Shooting through yellow foil with Auto WB will have no impact, the image looks normal, the yellow cast has been removed.

I use CPL for portrait shoot. Seem fine with me without the "purple" effect.

Remember that the polarizer filter works best at 90 degree angles to the sun. And also try to get in the habit of turning it counter-clockwise so that you don't accidentally unscrew it.

Thanks for all the replies.
I will go search again where I read about the "purple" effect on human.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

so this means I am safe to adjust the CPL to get the maximum polarization effect of the blue sky without worrying on my human objects? :think:

in order words, I should be safe to put on my CPL throughout my outdoor shots assuming the weather is good.... bright and sunny.
and when I go indoor, I should remove the filter? :think:

I will go search again where I read about the "purple" effect on human.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

so this means I am safe to adjust the CPL to get the maximum polarization effect of the blue sky without worrying on my human objects? :think:

in order words, I should be safe to put on my CPL throughout my outdoor shots assuming the weather is good.... bright and sunny.
and when I go indoor, I should remove the filter?

More like you should put on the filter when you need the effects and remove it when you don't :p

and when I go indoor, I should remove the filter? :think:

There is a penalty in loss of light entering the sensor when u place a polariser, and the light loss is variable and can be 2 stops or more depending on various filter makes/brands, plus u should not be adding additional glass in front of ur lens when u do not need it.

ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.