questions on circular polarizer filter

mazlanmadden

Nov 30, 2009
Singapore
hi, im thinking of buying a CPL filter for my lense. and i saw a thread in clubsnap selling circular polarizer/cir-polarizer filter.

i would like to know, or even better(recommendations) on the difference of a normal polarizer and circular one. thanks :)

polarizing filter got 2 types. linear and circular. for dslr you should use circular as linear will mess with the metering system. hope this helps :)

hi, im thinking of buying a CPL filter for my lense. and i saw a thread in clubsnap selling circular polarizer/cir-polarizer filter.

i would like to know, or even better(recommendations) on the difference of a normal polarizer and circular one. thanks :)

Yea, DSLRs should use a CPL but not to worry, walk into any shop and ask for a polarizer, 99.99% of the time they will give you a CPL and not a linear one.

CPL only cut off reflection from water, glass and etc. But, if you are shooting landscape you might want to consider GND filter. Last time I use the CPL was years ago, I found that GND filter doing a better job in bring out the details from the ground and cut off the brightness from the sky. :)

thanks for the advice. will look into it. :D

Last edited:
Usually when you ask for a polarizer at the camera shops, they'll show you the circular type. Linear polarizers will cause problems with auto-focus and metering systems of modern day DSLRs. Polarizers can be used to enhance the contrast of the sky/clouds, suppress reflections, enhance the colour of foliages. Choose what you need wisely :)