Questions about the Nikon 5700 / Sony F717

Status
Not open for further replies.

senhwei

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Canon Powershot S100 (Digital IXUS) which I bought 2 years ago. Love the camera very much but I'm looking at upgrading to a prosumer grade camera like the Power G3, Nikon 5700 or the Sony F717.

1. Panorama assistance
One thing which I really like about the S100 is its panorama assistance mode -> it helps you to line up multiple frames and using software on the PC, you can stitch these frames together to form a panorama. Do the 5700 and F717 have a similar capability ?

2. Internal flash
One of the things that is really deficient with the S100 is its internal flash -> totally useless ! I think it's effective flash range must only a 1 metre or so !!

Any comments about the internal flash in the 5700 and F717 ?

3. Low-light focussing
I've seen many comments about the 5700's poor ability to auto-focus in low-light conditions. How "low" is low-light ? And how "poor" is poor ?

I really like the 5700 but I have some concerns about this.

thank you all !

senhwei

Originally posted by senhwei

1. Panorama assistance
One thing which I really like about the S100 is its panorama assistance mode -> it helps you to line up multiple frames and using software on the PC, you can stitch these frames together to form a panorama. Do the 5700 and F717 have a similar capability ?

Didn't see this in either camera.

2. Internal flash
One of the things that is really deficient with the S100 is its internal flash -> totally useless ! I think it's effective flash range must only a 1 metre or so !!

Any comments about the internal flash in the 5700 and F717 ?

The built-in flash of either camera is more powerful compared to the S100.
5700: 4m/2.8m (wide/tele)
F717: 5m

However, the support of external flash on these two cameras are the really big pluses!

3. Low-light focussing
I've seen many comments about the 5700's poor ability to auto-focus in low-light conditions. How "low" is low-light ? And how "poor" is poor ?

I really like the 5700 but I have some concerns about this.

senhwei

The F717 definitely has much better focussing even under no light. 5700 should do ok when there's sufficient contrast and after you tweak some settings. However, at full zoom it does have greater difficulty. Actual users of the camera would be able to give you some figures (exposure info and ISO would give a good indication of light levels if flash is not used).

Hi, I am a 5700 user and the panaroma thingy u suggested is not available on 5700, not that I know of at least...

As for internal flash, technically it is correct but having used it, it depends on whether u use it for fill flash or total flash. Generally, less than a meter or two...

As for low light, definitely poor for my liking. It does not have laser/IR assist, therefore focusing under low light is a problem (esp when zoom).

:devil:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response. By flash, I'm referring to full flash ie. used to take photos of people indoors at night.

So you're saying that the 5700's internal flash is pretty poor as well ?

Regarding the auto-focus, what would you regard as being low-light :

* dawn and dusk conditions
* after sunset and before sunrise
* night scenes illuminated by street lighting
* indoors at night but with some room lighting

thanks !

senhwei

Well, I wld say u wld have to invest in a decent external flash. All internal flash are useless, no matter what price u pay for the DC...

When I mean poor lighting, I really mean poor lighting as in 1 candlelight or tungsten lamp 40-60 watts approx.

Most of the conditions as suggested by u shld be pretty ok as I have taken nite shots (7:30pm) at the chopstick memorial with suntec city as the backgrnd, w/o flash, set to the correct ISO and mount on tripod, the results are gd.

If u plan to take pple under dim light conditions, pse use external flash...

For 5700, u can set the nite sync mode etc, shooting shld be ok. Of course, there will be "noise" if u set the ISO higher.

To be real honest with u, a tripd and external flash are necessities, not optional tools when it comes to the 5700. Be prepared to spend a lot of money...

Status
Not open for further replies.