Questions about imac

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries.

PowerPC is the older family of processors used in Macs (G4 and G5 Macs). The software written for these is thus in the PowerPC flavor.

When Apple decided to jump ship using Intel processors instead of PowerPC processors, they had to come out with a new software format that will run at native speeds on both Intel and PowerPC processors. This software format is called "Universal Binary". Most software packages will state on the box whether it is Universal Binary.

So when you run a PowerPC only software like MS Office 2004 for Mac, it will still run on your new iMac, but in an emulation mode. It literally launches a "translator" called Rosetta to translate PowerPC code to Intel code. In short, launching such PowerPC software on an Intel Mac now takes up more RAM, and runs slower, which is very evident in CS2.

Presently, CS3 for Mac comes in Universal Binary, and so does OpenOffice.

thanks for explanation.i learn new things everyday.:thumbsup:

erm... let's just say I have to resize my pop-up windows to fit within the white bands if I want to see anything. :confused:

Didn't get AppleCare. The guys at EpiCentre told me it would be cheaper just to buy a new computer.

u mean u could live with it and dont wish to get it repaired?

applecare so expensive?
really?
i thought it's only 100+ to 200+?

Can use bootcamp to run Windows on Mac.

One note of caution about Bootcamp. Presently, it is in BETA phase. When the final version of BootCamp comes up in Leopard release, no one has heard the official word from Apple that your existing Bootcamp partition will still be supported.

It is "possible" that the final version of BootCamp will require you to CONSOLIDATE all partitions on your drive before it can do its magic of non-destructively repartitioning the hard disk. A little background, if your hard disk is already partitioned, Bootcamp won't work; it only works on non-partitioned hard disks.

So there is a risk of having to painfully backup all partition data, consolidate partitions, reinstall OS X, install Bootcamp Final, and restore the backed up data.

Unless you absolutely require to run at native speeds for Windows apps, I recommend Parallels, which is rather painless in installing and uninstalling, and does not need to partition your hard disk.

u mean u could live with it and dont wish to get it repaired?

applecare so expensive?
really?
i thought it's only 100+ to 200+?

The thing abt AppleCare is that you need to purchase it during your 1-year warranty period, which I didn't. The problem with my iMac only surfaced after my 1-year warranty expired (not sure if Apple had set some in-built timer in the iMac... most other pple also had the problem after 1 year :bigeyes:)

Anyway, I'm contemplating whether to just buy another LCD monitor and hook it up to my Mac.

The thing abt AppleCare is that you need to purchase it during your 1-year warranty period, which I didn't. The problem with my iMac only surfaced after my 1-year warranty expired (not sure if Apple had set some in-built timer in the iMac... most other pple also had the problem after 1 year :bigeyes:)

Anyway, I'm contemplating whether to just buy another LCD monitor and hook it up to my Mac.

thanks very much for sharing this.not many people are willing to share problems with the equipment they use because of 'face value'.
:thumbsup:

With Apple just buy and let other ppl worry about the technical mumbo jumbo

btw go Pro don't waste time on the iMac
the MacPro matches your soon to be delivered ACD screen

my Mac already 6-7 years old and still going strong

Which Mac is much cheaper than its AppleCare?

EpiCentre guys are really....argghhhh!

:angry:

now calm down here.. can't jump to conclusions abt the guys at epicentre here.. wat did u ask and what exactly did they say? i dun think they will tell u that applecare is more expensive then buying a new mac here :)

erm... let's just say I have to resize my pop-up windows to fit within the white bands if I want to see anything. :confused:

Didn't get AppleCare. The guys at EpiCentre told me it would be cheaper just to buy a new computer.

with regards to dead pixel.. u are allowed to test the com when u purchase at the store with regards to dead pixels and they should allow u to change if there's any.. however, after leaving the store.. or after the sales exchange period (depending from store to store), the warrenty goes back to the manufacturer.. from what i understand abt the industrial practice.. its 5 dead pixels in total.. or 2-3 (can't remember the exact amt) side by side that they will replace it for u under the warrenty period.. can someone confirm this.. and for 1 or 2 dead pixel is within the manufacturing specifications (thought i dun understand why)

you can purchase the applecare within 1 year from the date that you purchased your machine. so you can decide whether you want it or not about 12 mths for you to think about it. so far I only had my pwrbk monitor replaced FOC for spots, the warranty is nice but it would still boil down to see how troublesome the service center wants to be with your case.

Which Mac is much cheaper than its AppleCare?

EpiCentre guys are really....argghhhh!

:angry:
i think jinks was saying that the epicentre guy told him that it would be cheaper to buy a new one rather than fix it (already given that there was no more warranty)... not relative to the price of applecare.

you will need to buy all the license for mac for you adobe cs3, ms office, light room, aperture.

OSX rocks...

with regards to dead pixel.. u are allowed to test the com when u purchase at the store with regards to dead pixels and they should allow u to change if there's any.. however, after leaving the store.. or after the sales exchange period (depending from store to store), the warrenty goes back to the manufacturer.. from what i understand abt the industrial practice.. its 5 dead pixels in total.. or 2-3 (can't remember the exact amt) side by side that they will replace it for u under the warrenty period.. can someone confirm this.. and for 1 or 2 dead pixel is within the manufacturing specifications (thought i dun understand why)

U can actually change the whole machine even with 1 dead pixel. It depends on how much noise u made, and later get blacklisted by the store which u claim your warranty from.

Jeanie,
If I may suggest, get the imac for your friend and not worry about using window softwares in it. Your friend will figure how to get around the problem by using her existing PC or work (or school) PC to get things done. Trust me, she should know what to do next.

Applecare is quite worth it as its about 10-15% of system cost. Why not give it to her as a second present before the end of the first year of use? If she decided to upgrade within the same year, the applecare would not be worth it then. But if she keeps it for next 3yrs, its just buying a peace of mind.

As for problems with imac, the newer batch would have had the problems fixed. And within the warranty phase, it should not be a problem getting it serviced foc.

The only best upgrade you can do for your friend is to get her as much ram as you think you are willing to pay for. For that, your friend would save so much time as higher buffer means more productivity. Also, the built in graphics card do play a major role for huge files since you mentioned she does graphics. If can, choose a model with a better graphics card (and more ram).

Just my humble suggestions being a mac user myself.

3)is the optional apple care protection plan worth it?

4)any known/experienced problems from those who has one?can share?
With Apple Care, i enjoy 3 years of peace-of-mind. it also makes for better resale value if i ever decide to sell before the plan is up. not that i want to~

Mac repairs are notoriously expensive, even for a seemingly minor problem. "sorry, have to change the entire logic board"

alternatively, you can check out this highly credited service centre, Micro 2000 http://www.micro2000.com.sg/asp.html

i'm currently running an Intel C2D iMac, after having gone through a G5 iMac. the G5 version had its own set of idiosyncracies, but Apple seemed to have solve most of them in the current version. so far so good for me, no complains whatsoever. i don't even have problems using third party RAMs on it, a problem for the old Macs. my studio admin is still happily running on a G3 iMac with no problems.

i got a Mac mainly because of OSX and i simply dig the industrial design of the Macs.

just sharing my personal experience with Macs.

applecare is definitely worth it.

if your LCD has a problem , it will cost you around 800-1k to replace

if your logic board needs replacement, it will cost you about 1.4 k .

applecare is about 300-400 only.

thanks all for the inputs.
maybe i'll get one for her first.let her try out and sound out her compaints.:bsmilie:

applecare is definitely worth it.

if your LCD has a problem , it will cost you around 800-1k to replace

if your logic board needs replacement, it will cost you about 1.4 k .

applecare is about 300-400 only.

actually , hearing from you guys, the more i wouldnt want to lay my hands on apple coms.
i mean seriously if something gets conked...i cant imagine the repairs, not to mention the down time, the repair time and blah.

for pc, anything conk, SLS/funan is just a drive away.

correct me if i am wrong.

actually , hearing from you guys, the more i wouldnt want to lay my hands on apple coms.
i mean seriously if something gets conked...i cant imagine the repairs, not to mention the down time, the repair time and blah.

for pc, anything conk, SLS/funan is just a drive away.

correct me if i am wrong.

well jeanie.. if u noticed.. most mac users jus keep on sticking to macs.. there must be a reason why :)

as to machines breaking down.. regardless of which manufacturer its from.. all machines have a chance to break down anytime, so don't let it turn u off.. as for repairs.. get ACPP and forget abt ur worries.. least for 3 yrs yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.