Question regarding Omnibounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

torak

Sep 4, 2009
Hi everyone,

Im currently using a Stofen Omnibounce diffuser with my external flash. It works very well in indoors, however when i use my flash outdoor as a fill in (with sunlight coming from behind my subject), I find that the omnibounce weakens my flash too much, such that its unable to properly expose my subject when even i set my flash to full power. Ive tried tilting my flash at various angle, even tried aiming it directly at my subject but sometimes its still too weak to expose correctly. Taking the ominibounce off will be an option of course, that will be more than enough to expose properly, but the flash light will be very harsh and doesnt look nice.

Im thinking of either DIYing a small bounce card, or get a small reflector for my flash when using it outdoors. Will this help? Or will the result be similar to what I get with a omnibounce?

Saw this light reflector (no.5) in mass sale forum. Will it help for my case? As in provide enough light in daylight shooting.

diffusersetsmall.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
1-4 would be even worse as they're softboxes, and you're going to have to move closer to your subject for a wider spread of light. I personally have 5, and it ensures a very wide light spread. Can be had for 5 bucks, so not a big loss even if you don't like it.

Anything that softens the light eats into the power of your flash.
Omnibounce doesn't create a larger light source when used outdoors, so for fill flash, you're better off using the bare flash.

like others had mentioned, anything add on to spread or diffuse light from the flash gun takes away alot of light.

not sure what u mean by "still too weak to expose correctly during outdoor shoot" but most of the time, we only want fill flash or get some "catchlight" in the eyes if u r shooting in the day, even when under shades.

Most branded flash diffuser will tell you the light loss when the diffuser is used. I think for most it is 1 to 1.5 stops. So all you have to do is up your Flash Exposure Compensation by 1 to 2 stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.